2018 Offseason Thread

Doyle wants LAFC to draft Khiry tomorrow. Maybe there is a little mad genius in PV...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/11/armchair-analyst-9-most-interesting-names-expansion-draft

In my opinion the idea of them taking Shelton is far more probable than most around here think. To us he's a wasted superdraft pick that was bungled from the start. He has a horrible first touch and slow decision making. From another team's perspective though it's not that big of a leap to start thinking that he's a young, tall, fast former high tier prospect on a reasonable deal by today's current MLS salary standards. He's one year removed from putting up very respectable assist per min numbers. We all know it's not true but it's easy to imagine a team talking themselves into him as a reclamation project that could benefit from a fresh start and/or being used in a different formation.

In my opinion the idea of them taking Shelton is far more probable than most around here think. To us he's a wasted superdraft pick that was bungled from the start. He has a horrible first touch and slow decision making. From another team's perspective though it's not that big of a leap to start thinking that he's a young, tall, fast former high tier prospect on a reasonable deal by today's current MLS salary standards. He's one year removed from putting up very respectable assist per min numbers. We all know it's not true but it's easy to imagine a team talking themselves into him as a reclamation project that could benefit from a fresh start and/or being used in a different formation.

Exactly, why would PV have played him so much, and in critical situations, if he wasn't a player who could win the match for us?

giphy.gif

Reactions: gbservis

Mullins 2.0?

Reactions: gbservis
Saw a Mock Draft (yes, I went to the depths of the internet) that had LAFC taking Kwame Awuah

Reactions: JayH
Saw a Mock Draft (yes, I went to the depths of the internet) that had LAFC taking Kwame Awuah
The guy we spent Garber bucks on that barely sniffed the field but looked good when he did? That Awuah?

Reactions: Kjbert
How much were we hurt by MLS 2.0 expansion rules?

LAFC are set to trade for Sachs Klejstan, he of 37 assists over the last two seasons.

MLS 2.0 and Kreis screwed us until now.

This is the first year we have a full team build by Vieira. (I'm obviously assuming that Vieira wants Villa in his system).

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
MLS 2.0 and Kreis screwed us until now.

This is the first year we have a full team build by Vieira. (I'm obviously assuming that Vieira wants Villa in his system).
Sure, but Kreis 1000% fcked the team up with his draft. Atlanta and LAFC have both blown it up by drafting equity picks rather than roster picks, and using the picks as trade bait. Kreis on the other hand picked guys he wanted to be in his first 11, and that singlehandedly set us back two+ years because we were stuck unloading contracts for nothing.

Sure, but Kreis 1000% fcked the team up with his draft. Atlanta and LAFC have both blown it up by drafting equity picks rather than roster picks, and using the picks as trade bait. Kreis on the other hand picked guys he wanted to be in his first 11, and that singlehandedly set us back two+ years because we were stuck unloading contracts for nothing.

Ways Kreis Fucked The Team:
- Screwing the drafts of drafts and getting us Khiry Shelton rather than Cyle Larin. Or just selecting Khiry Shelton rather than anyone below him like Christian Roldan
- Selecting aged veterans that he knew that wouldn't cut it 1-2 years out

Ways MLS Fucked The Team:
- Given less GAM and TAM than the following years expansion clubs

Ways CFG Fucked The Team:
- Lampardgate
- Pirlo

Though, to be fair, the quality available in the last two expansion drafts for LAFC, Minnesota, and Atlanta have been much higher than what was available for us and Orlando as the quality of rosters has generally increased.

Though, to be fair, the quality available in the last two expansion drafts for LAFC, Minnesota, and Atlanta have been much higher than what was available for us and Orlando as the quality of rosters has generally increased.
Agreed. Plus, teams had a lot less GAM and no TAM to trade to us in return for any assets we drafted. Basically, the Kreis/Reyna team didn't do a great job, but to judge them in any way based on what the latest 3 teams have done is unrealistic.

Agreed. Plus, teams had a lot less GAM and no TAM to trade to us in return for any assets we drafted. Basically, the Kreis/Reyna team didn't do a great job, but to judge them in any way based on what the latest 3 teams have done is unrealistic.
Agreed. I definitely think Kreis/Reyna could have done a lot better, but the quality wasn't quite there in the expansion draft and lack of GAM/TAM.

I would also argue that there is probably more interest in coming to the league from international players than there was our first year, though I'm not sure how exactly I can support that argument.

Hot take: Jason Kreis is still the manager if he is able to draft Cyle Latin. 4-4-2 works with Villa and Larin. Larin is maybe the best rookie in MLS history?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Hot take: Jason Kreis is still the manager if he is able to draft Cyle Latin. 4-4-2 works with Villa and Larin. Larin is maybe the best rookie in MLS history?

Kyle also lives in NYC and Ubers to the clubs, or subway. Never gets pulled over for drunk driving. Sold by NYCFC to European club for buckets of GAM.

Yeah, right. With Wingdings holding down the back line and his South American connection that got him players in RSL drying up and only sending him dregs.

He’s a failure.

Yeah, right. With Wingdings holding down the back line and his South American connection that got him players in RSL drying up and only sending him dregs.

He’s a failure.

I don't think CFG fires Kreis if we make the playoffs in 2015. If we make the playoffs, Kreis doesn't lose the locker room. That's why he was fired.

I'm not advocating for Kreis. Just stating that he lost his job essentially because he f'ed up a coin toss

I don't think CFG fires Kreis if we make the playoffs in 2015. If we make the playoffs, Kreis doesn't lose the locker room. That's why he was fired.

I'm not advocating for Kreis. Just stating that he lost his job essentially because he f'ed up a coin toss
The 2015 team had more problems than Cyle Larin could fix.

But the East sucked that year and Larin produces just enough to get us in the playoffs. The East was dreadful in 2015.
We finished 12 points out behind 6th Place Toronto. Larin has to turn 4 losses to wins just to tie. That's a lot for 1 player. Then we would still lose the tiebreaker on total wins. You can't even assume 1 of those games converted from a loss to win is against TFC because we didn't lose to them. Maybe Larin plus a full year of reasonably healthy Lampard? Maybe.