2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I don't understand the obsession people have with having a striker, Villa was never a true out and out striker. The system we play has never suited them ( Okoli, Berget). We have the personnel to deploy a fluid attacking front with our forwards switching wings and interchanging positions as the game dictates.

Am I the only one starting to believe we’re building towards 2020 and using this as a rebuilding year ?(this would be totally acceptable by the way just communicate)
I’ve noticed that it seems to subtly be messaged, both the Chanot video and the Mitriță announcement (“I don’t want to say too much now in terms of goals and objectives—I prefer to see how things progress.”)

I don't understand the obsession people have with having a striker, Villa was never a true out and out striker. The system we play has never suited them ( Okoli, Berget). We have the personnel to deploy a fluid attacking front with our forwards switching wings and interchanging positions as the game dictates.

Except we play on a postage stamp and it’s obvious to me we should be playing more direct.

Reactions: Marito
Am I the only one starting to believe we’re building towards 2020 and using this as a rebuilding year ?(this would be totally acceptable by the way just communicate)

Depends on your definition of rebuilding. I was down on the team at the start but the pieces are in place for this team to easily be top 6 in the East again. I am okay with seeing how this roster plays out to the summer with getting a TAM reinofrcement or two then to try and make a run.

Except we play on a postage stamp and it’s obvious to me we should be playing more direct.
First time we played ATL at YS they complained afterwards about how fast the ball came back at them after a turnover and they weren’t prepared for it.

IDK, seems if ATL couldn’t handle the directness that can be created by a team used to a small field, then maybe that’s the way the team should play since 17 matches a year are on that field and only a fraction of away games are on fields drasticly different and noticeably larger/longer (like LAG).

Reactions: Kjbert
First time we played ATL at YS they complained afterwards about how fast the ball came back at them after a turnover and they weren’t prepared for it.

IDK, seems if ATL couldn’t handle the directness that can be created by a team used to a small field, then maybe that’s the way the team should play since 17 matches a year are on that field and only a fraction of away games are on fields drasticly different and noticeably larger/longer (like LAG).
This makes zero sense, Atlanta plays on turf

This makes zero sense, Atlanta plays on turf
Atlanta plays on a big field and they play balls into space to use speed in track meet form. That’s a lot different than change of direction.

Think of it as doing a 100m dash versus a shuttle run.

So you want 2015 NYCFC. Yikes...
2015 NYCFC had one player (2015 Villa) that was better than his 2019 counterpart. It didn't matter how we played then, because we had less talent than most other teams in the league. Now, imo, we have a top 5 roster.

Reactions: Sabo
2015 NYCFC had one player (2015 Villa) that was better than his 2019 counterpart. It didn't matter how we played then, because we had less talent than most other teams in the league. Now, imo, we have a top 5 roster.

I think the Mitrita signing points in a very good direction and should make us happy, regardless of the ultimate result. NYCFC has now spent more than any other club not named ATL UTD on a player, and it's a young attacking player. Not a star in decline. I think it shows on the part of CFG a commitment to continue being a top team in MLS, which we weren't sure about a month ago. Let's hope it has been money well spent.

I think the Mitrita signing points in a very good direction and should make us happy, regardless of the ultimate result. NYCFC has now spent more than any other club not named ATL UTD on a player, and it's a young attacking player. Not a star in decline. I think it shows on the part of CFG a commitment to continue being a top team in MLS, which we weren't sure about a month ago. Let's hope it has been money well spent.
Very true. This also appears to be a direct signing, rather than a CFG sign and loan which could have supported the narrative that NYCFC is simply a place to stockpile young players for FFP purposes.

We didn't make any major moves prior to this, but we kept every key player other than the declining Villa. All of our league elite, prime aged players (Johnson, Chanot, Callens, Ring and Maxi) were retained, which don't get the headlines and excitement, but are equally critical moves.

Also, a note about a not very tall player who scores in bunches against very tall opposition: Kun Aguero. He has evolved into a 9 at ManCity but was definitely a CAM at Independiente and Atletico de Madrid. So maybe Mitrita is a CAM who can be repurposed as a 9. And although Aguero is great with his head, he scores most of his goals either tapping low crosses or through his ridiculously great control and dribbling in and around the penalty area. Man City rarely sends high crosses, or when they do are more like long switches to the back post in order to generate additional moves.

It's an exciting signing, everything we've heard about him so far seems to point to him making an immediate impact for us. Medina on the other hand now seems primed to carry out the NYCFC tradition of DP on the bench. Mitrita, Maxi, ITS, Lewis, and Taty are all better options for the front 4 attacking spots than Medina. If this proves to be true hopefully we can sell Medina this summer even at a loss to free up that DP spot.

It's an exciting signing, everything we've heard about him so far seems to point to him making an immediate impact for us. Medina on the other hand now seems primed to carry out the NYCFC tradition of DP on the bench. Mitrita, Maxi, ITS, Lewis, and Taty are all better options for the front 4 attacking spots than Medina. If this proves to be true hopefully we can sell Medina this summer even at a loss to free up that DP spot.
Re: Medina..... Forget about the transfer at a loss in the summer, 1-time buy out now so a new DP can be brought in immediately.

Or better yet, ship him down to Uruguay on loan until he can be “sold” to Spain as Herrera’s teammate. Put the CFG world organization to work.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

Fam... talk to 'em.

Edit: I think many of us are conflating "striker" and SCORER.

All this positivity and optimism is heartwarming.
giphy.gif

Fam... talk to 'em.

Edit: I think many of us are conflating "striker" and SCORER.
Could be wrong, but I think there’s confusion between a striker and center forward. I typically think of a Center Forward as being Brian McBride - a big target body that plays with back to the goal and can hold up the ball for teammates.
Striker is more of the Romario / Aguero type that is highly mobile and makes the darting runs and is incredibly efficient with the ball at their feet.

Both types are scorers, but they typically have different physical traits and styles. That not to say there can’t be overlap, like Robin van Persie who was tall and able to post up/win aerials but also highly mobile and able to create his own shot. Ibra is also that tall hybrid-type player.

We have a lot of guys who can run with the ball at their feet, but we don’t have anybody good winning aerials.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Live footage of the front office and the fanbase last week after CFG scouts in Europe asked what the roster needs:

EDIT: Screw you guys, this was funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: LostAnvil