2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
If you divide Heber's goals plus assists by 1,000, instead of the minutes he actually has, he ends up at 0.99.

Diomande would be 1.17. Altidore would also be 0.99.
Why by 1000? The metric is per 90min. He’s played 9min short of (x10) 90-min matches, so divide 11 (8g+3a) by 10.

Why by 1000? The metric is per 90min. He’s played 9min short of (x10) 90-min matches, so divide 11 (8g+3a) by 10.
The point is that even if you assume he gets no goals or assists over the necessary remaining minutes to qualify for the 1,000 threshold, he would still be No. 2 on the top list.

I think Gotham Gator Gotham Gator was just trying to show he'd still be in the top grouping of players if he were at 1,000 minutes, which is the minimum criteria. Or, even if he does nothing the next game or two (to get him to 1,000 minutes min criteria) he will still be at an amazing rate of G/A per 90. This is vs. a player who may have only played 270 minutes and scored 4 goals in one game and did nothing since. Said random player would have an awesome G/A p90, but when taking the same numbers and stretching them across 1000 minutes, wouldn't look as good.

Haven’t sniffed a rumor. Bale can be had on a free. But would we really want to waste a DP spot on a LWB?

But in all seriousness, if they don’t move Medina at this point and sign a new DP, it’s malpractice.

Well, Miguel Trauco starting LB for the Peruvian NT seems destined to ride the bench at Flamengo with the arrival of Filipe Luis. His contract runs until 12/19 so they must be shopping him around now. He would be a massive upgrade. Has been in Flamengo for several seasons, usually starting although he was considered better offensively than defensively, although that was against the kind of fast dribbling wingers that are common in the Brasileirao but not in MLS. Otherwise a solid defender, who has been a lock down starter in the NT since age 21. His crosses are very very good. Transfermarket has his value at 2 million, so a DP that could be bough down with TAM maybe?

Well, Miguel Trauco starting LB for the Peruvian NT seems destined to ride the bench at Flamengo with the arrival of Filipe Luis. His contract runs until 12/19 so they must be shopping him around now. He would be a massive upgrade. Has been in Flamengo for several seasons, usually starting although he was considered better offensively than defensively, although that was against the kind of fast dribbling wingers that are common in the Brasileirao but not in MLS. Otherwise a solid defender, who has been a lock down starter in the NT since age 21. His crosses are very very good. Transfermarket has his value at 2 million, so a DP that could be bough down with TAM maybe?
I would be okay with selling Medina, using the AM for a LB and waiting until next year to sign a DP. The team is good enough to win it all already, and I wouldn't want to rush into signing a DP when we're (mostly) cruising at the moment. Too many attacking options to feel Medina's departure.

I would be okay with selling Medina, using the AM for a LB and waiting until next year to sign a DP. The team is good enough to win it all already, and I wouldn't want to rush into signing a DP when we're (mostly) cruising at the moment. Too many attacking options to feel Medina's departure.

I agree on waiting for a DP if we can't get the one we want now the team is solid and would be even better if we can grab a LB upgrade. My only concern is that more top flight players are available in the summer so waiting til next year may end up meaning waiting until next summer. Regarding AM we may still have some to spend but we won't get any more for Medina unless he's sold for a profit which seems doubtful given his performance.

Yeah, but that's not a specific story about the team. That was part of the "One Weird Thing" series, where they highlight something interesting from the week and the do a whip around of the league.
Technicality.