2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
We're going to be going into a miserable stretch of matches in August/September where it will make sense to have a Wednesday lineup and a weekend lineup.

Reactions: Kjbert
IDK why I was thinking ATL did it too. I guess I was thinking of how there was talk of selling Barco after all the clubhouse drama last year. Even if they didn't do it, I'm sure they would if they were in a Medina situation. We also have LAG buying out Dos Santos. The top teams take the L when they see the writing on the wall, lose a battle to win the war. Sticking with Medina is not helping this team and now that we signed GMS, he's 100% expendable.
I would like to point out that LAG really didn't buy out Gio Dos Santos in order to free up a DP spot, even if mechanically that is what occurred.

They basically tried to keep the 4 DP's and have MLS change the rules to allow four to be kept (or some other mechanism to turn one of their DPs into a non-DP), and the league didn't blink.

Reactions: adam
I would like to point out that LAG really didn't buy out Gio Dos Santos in order to free up a DP spot, even if mechanically that is what occurred.

They basically tried to keep the 4 DP's and have MLS change the rules to allow four to be kept (or some other mechanism to turn one of their DPs into a non-DP), and the league didn't blink.

Well I would also be satisfied if our club signed a 4th player over the DP threshold and said “what you going to do?” Then they’d be forced to drop Medina just like LAG. But at least they tried.

I don't know about that, but he did start 20 games overall.

Not sure he'd even make the team right now.

I think you're both right, which shows you how bad our backline was year 1. What was the competition? Winger, Brovsky, Kwame? Maybe you could argue Hernandez was a better CB at the time?

I struggle to think of a better defender than Facey that year. But maybe it was Hernandez.

Reactions: Majik
Unpopular opinion: We're better off at LB than many of our peers, but as the team has gelled and cohesion improved, the LBs haven't. In a weird way Tinner just seems to be able to pick up on what Dome wants better than Mata or Sweat, but its still the best "back 5" in the East, probably all of MLS

Unpopular opinion: We're better off at LB than many of our peers, but as the team has gelled and cohesion improved, the LBs haven't. In a weird way Tinner just seems to be able to pick up on what Dome wants better than Mata or Sweat, but its still the best "back 5" in the East, probably all of MLS
Haha not sure why you thought that was gonna be an unpopular opinion tbh.

Reactions: FootyLovin

Sweat is 6th, Matarrita is 7th. Ali Adnad at 2nd (VAN) plays more forward than all of these guys.

Don't forget about Anders Christiansen and the fact we were going to spend like $1.5M in a transfer fee for a midfielder.

Remember than Ofori and Parks are both on loan.
According to transfer market the Ofori loan ends at the end of the season. With Maxi possibly leaving and parks only loaned out for a year as well we will have a busy winter. Not the best time to acquire players either. I wish we would have made a move this window to help with that.

According to transfer market the Ofori loan ends at the end of the season. With Maxi possibly leaving and parks only loaned out for a year as well we will have a busy winter. Not the best time to acquire players either. I wish we would have made a move this window to help with that.
Pretty confident we're going to either buy Ofori permanently, or loan him a third year

Pretty confident we're going to either buy Ofori permanently, or loan him a third year

I agree. He can’t get in Ghana’s NT and there wasn’t much appetite for him in Europe last off-season. He doesn’t even start in our best XI. Maxi is going to Racing. Try to keep Parks as a TAM, but if not we should have 2 open DP spots to fill our holes (that sounds dirty).

I agree. He can’t get in Ghana’s NT and there wasn’t much appetite for him in Europe last off-season. He doesn’t even start in our best XI. Maxi is going to Racing. Try to keep Parks as a TAM, but if not we should have 2 open DP spots to fill our holes (that sounds dirty).

NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan we can react to posts now??? Cool.

I can change them. Haven’t done it yet tho.
There’s actually a setting for negative rep. I feel like if I introduced that there would be anarchy.
The forums went from 0 to Facebook in the space of an evening. Forum historians will look back upon this upgrade as the beginning of a new era in NYCFC discourse and social dynamics.

Maxi's going to Racing eventually, maybe, but I don't think he'll leave at the end of this season. Considering his motor he still has 3 years at a very good level IMHO, and Racing won't be able to pay him 2M per year. This year is shaping up to be his best with NYCFC, so I fully expect our FO to offer him one or two more years at a similar pay. Meanwhile, Argentina is always on the verge of economic collapse, Racing could easily offer him X and be broke by midseason, his house was vandalized once already, maybe he's more sentimental than I expect, but I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

I can change them. Haven’t done it yet tho.
There’s actually a setting for negative rep. I feel like if I introduced that there would be anarchy.
Motion for NYCFC player head reactions? Pirlo "not bad", Vieira "Quite Pleased" etc. (though, maybe not something as controversial as vieira)

• Haha
Reactions: Christopher Jee