2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
CFG usually goes for an 80/20 partnership. So 80% CFG and 20% DV7.

I think CFG understands the US soccer market that Queensboro FC would market better than NYCFC II. I don't think NYCFC fans would care if the name is or isn't NYCFC II, but there are likely some percentage of fans that wouldn't support a team directly named NYCFC II but want an independently named team.

Oof, I would be so disappointed if CFG owned the sole USL team in NYC as well.

Not to mention, its not very clear to me why CFG would be "hiding" their involvement in a USL team behind Villa. If they managed to make their brand so toxic in this city already that they have to pretend they aren't involved, things aren't looking good for the franchise.

COMPLETED STORIES
1. Signing Keaton Parks (MF, 21, FIFA rating 69) on 1 year loan from Benfica

He was officially announced as a signing by the club (1/19)
2. Re-signing Yangel Herrera (MF, 21, FIFA rating 68)
It's confirmed that he has been transferred from ManCity to La Liga's Huesca (1/15)
3. NYCFC own the 19th pick in the MLS Super Draft tomorrow.
We traded away $75k in GAM to move up a few spots to take a backup keeper. (1/11)
4. Signing Kevin Quevedo (MF, 21, FIFA rating NA) from Alianza Lima
Kristan Dyer reported that NYCFC is no longer interested in him. Multiple sites report he's not going to MLS. (1/13)
5. Re-signing Ebenezer Ofori on loan (MF, 23, FIFA rating 71)
It happened very quickly and was made official today. Feels like we missed out on other targets (1/22)

OPEN STORIES
6. Releasing Jo Inge Berget (F, 28, FIFA rating 70)

It's been reported, but not confirmed. News was he is returning to Malmo. Someone tweeted a link that shows he's now listed as a player on the Malmo site, but we don't know if that means anything. The latest is he's been linked to Rosenberg, of Mix fame. (1/17).
7. Signing Lucas Venuto (F, 23, FIFA rating 70) from Vienna.
Rumored he would be signed by NYCFC. As of today, there are rumors his current club is looking for an offensive player to replace him (1/19)
8. Signing Justin Haak (MF, 16, FIFA rating NA) to 1st squad contract.
Reyna mentioned there would be 2 more HG signing on his ETR interview. Haak has long believed to be one of them along with Kwaka Owusu (1/14)
9. Signing Gary Mackay-Steven (W, 28, FIFA rating 72) from Aberdeen
Latest article says he's still considering the move. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ws/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-13877769. He played today for Aberdeen and was subbed off (1/19)
10. Signing Hannes Van der Bruggen (MF, 25 FIFA rating 71) from KV Kortrijk.
There was a Belgian article that said he was considering a move to MLS (not necessarily NYC), but this is the type of move NYC makes more than any other club in the league. (1/18) https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nie...staat-op-het-verlanglijstje-van-een-mls-ploeg

COMPLETED STORIES

It's confirmed that he has been transferred from ManCity to La Liga's Huesca (1/15)
We traded away $75k in GAM to move up a few spots to take a backup keeper. (1/11)
Kristan Dyer reported that NYCFC is no longer interested in him. Multiple sites report he's not going to MLS. (1/13)
It happened very quickly and was made official today. Feels like we missed out on other targets (1/22)

OPEN STORIES

It's been reported, but not confirmed. News was he is returning to Malmo. Someone tweeted a link that shows he's now listed as a player on the Malmo site, but we don't know if that means anything. The latest is he's been linked to Rosenberg, of Mix fame. (1/17).
Rumored he would be signed by NYCFC. As of today, there are rumors his current club is looking for an offensive player to replace him (1/19)
Reyna mentioned there would be 2 more HG signing on his ETR interview. Haak has long believed to be one of them along with Kwaka Owusu (1/14)
Latest article says he's still considering the move. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ws/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-13877769. He played today for Aberdeen and was subbed off (1/19)
There was a Belgian article that said he was considering a move to MLS (not necessarily NYC), but this is the type of move NYC makes more than any other club in the league. (1/18) https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nie...staat-op-het-verlanglijstje-van-een-mls-ploeg

It would seem to me that signing Ofori probably closes the door on Van der Bruggen? Unless we're looking to play 4 in the midfield, can't imagine there'd be spots for Ring, Parks, Ofori, and this guy.

Reactions: Kjbert
COMPLETED STORIES

OPEN STORIES

Venuto likely to Whitecaps: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...d-brazilian-guinean-canadian-transfer-targets

Van der Bruggen was targeted by Red Bulls: https://www.hln.be/de-krant/new-yor...gen~a43d52e3/?referer=https://t.co/C1jcfqiMoZ

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
NYCFC DEPTH CHART

Striker/Wing: Berget, Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Lewis
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina
CM: Ring, Parks, Ofori, Sands, Bedoya, Rocha
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam, Scally
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Ibeagha, Hountondji
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Caldwell, Barraza

Reactions: danger
NYCFC DEPTH CHART

Striker: Berget
Wing: Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Lewis
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina
CM: Ring, Parks, Ofori, Sands, Bedoya, Rocha
RB: Tinnerholm, Abdul-Salaam, Scally
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Ibeagha, Hountondji
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Caldwell, Barraza
This is 24 players - assuming that we drop to 3 goalkeepers. It also includes Berget, who may depart.

We need at least one more pure striker - maybe two. That's the biggest hole right now.

We could use another winger and another center back - both just for depth; nobody that would take much of a salary charge.

Those moves would put us around 27 players.

With CM covered, you have to imagine any DP signing would be at striker. The question is whether we go into the season as is and wait until summer for that player.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Thank you S sbrylski for helping me update this. Not too many open stories left, unless the club has something going well below anyone's radar.

COMPLETED STORIES

6. Signing Lucas Venuto (F, 23, FIFA rating 70) from Vienna.
Rumored he would be signed by NYCFC. Looks like he's headed to Vancouver. He's 5'5", so we really didn't need another Maxi. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...d-brazilian-guinean-canadian-transfer-targets (1/22)
7. Signing Hannes Van der Bruggen (MF, 25 FIFA rating 71) from KV Kortrijk.
There was a Belgian article that said he was considering a move to MLS (not necessarily NYC). Seems he was targeted by NJRB, not NYC. Van der Bruggen was targeted by Red Bulls: https://www.hln.be/de-krant/new-yor...gen~a43d52e3/?referer=https://t.co/C1jcfqiMoZ (1/22)

OPEN STORIES
8. Releasing Jo Inge Berget (F, 28, FIFA rating 70)

9. Signing Justin Haak (MF, 16, FIFA rating NA) to 1st squad contract.
10. Signing Gary Mackay-Steven (W, 28, FIFA rating 72) from Aberdeen
Latest interview says he's still considering the move, but happy in Scotland (1/22)

Oof, I would be so disappointed if CFG owned the sole USL team in NYC as well.

Not to mention, its not very clear to me why CFG would be "hiding" their involvement in a USL team behind Villa. If they managed to make their brand so toxic in this city already that they have to pretend they aren't involved, things aren't looking good for the franchise.

Geezer. Yes, the club is falling short of our expectations, but toxic is a mega overstatement. I think I'm becoming of the optimists on this site, which is quite remarkable.

Last edited:
Geezer. Yes, the club is falling short of our expectations, but toxic is a mega overstatement. I think I'm becoming of the optimists on this site, which is quite remarkable.

I'm not saying CFG is toxic. I'm saying if CFG is involved in the USL effort but determined they should hide their involvement for some reason, that is likely them admitting to themselves they're toxic. If this is the masterplan for getting a stadium, hide behind a David Villa led USL effort and jump out at the last minute to say "it was us this whole time!!," then yikes.

We'll see what comes out over the next few months. Apparently USL is planning to announce three more Championship teams (two east coast and one west). If one of those is QBFC, we should have some more details by summer.

I'm not saying CFG is toxic. I'm saying if CFG is involved in the USL effort but determined they should hide their involvement for some reason, that is likely them admitting to themselves they're toxic. If this is the masterplan for getting a stadium, hide behind a David Villa led USL effort and jump out at the last minute to say "it was us this whole time!!," then yikes.

We'll see what comes out over the next few months. Apparently USL is planning to announce three more Championship teams (two east coast and one west). If one of those is QBFC, we should have some more details by summer.
I think there is a lot of in between area on this. They don't have to view themselves as toxic to recognize that David Villa is a fantastic ambassador. Also, CFG seems to view everything through the lens of "if we are going to err, let's err on the side of secrecy." For both those reasons I could see them being involved in this as a joint venture with Villa while saying nothing to anyone.

Not so sure we need another CB. We have 4 defined CBs plus Sweat/Sands/Ring.
I think the only way we may need another CB is if Dome wants to play 3 ATB this year.

Though I think we'd still have appropriate coverage as Sweat can play LCB there, and especially if Awusu is signed.

I am thinking of someone pretty deep on the roster - who only plays when 3 of the 4 guys ahead of him are out for some reason. I've felt this made sense for a couple of years, but each season the Club has stuck with 4 center backs. Of course, each of the last 2 seasons, we've ended up having to play someone out of position there at least once - including against Columbus in the 2017 playoffs - or been down to only 2 CBs with no others in the 18. Why not sign a young trialist or someone out of the academy for the league minimum? It's true that Sands and Sweat can play there, but then you are messing with important starter level depth at CM and LB.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I am thinking of someone pretty deep on the roster - who only plays when 3 of the 4 guys ahead of him are out for some reason. I've felt this made sense for a couple of years, but each season the Club has stuck with 4 center backs. Of course, each of the last 2 seasons, we've ended up having to play someone out of position there at least once - including against Columbus in the 2017 playoffs - or been down to only 2 CBs with no others in the 18. Why not sign a young trialist or someone out of the academy for the league minimum? It's true that Sands and Sweat can play there, but then you are messing with important starter level depth at CM and LB.

I think the only way we may need another CB is if Dome wants to play 3 ATB this year.

Though I think we'd still have appropriate coverage as Sweat can play LCB there, and especially if Owusu is signed.

arent you guys saying the same thing?

No, we are thinking a little differently. Soup thinks we really only need to go 5 deep at CB if we are planning to play with 3 CBs on the field at a time. I think we can benefit from having that much depth even if we only use 2 at a time.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
COMPLETED STORIES

Rumored he would be signed by NYCFC. Looks like he's headed to Vancouver. He's 5'5", so we really didn't need another Maxi. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...d-brazilian-guinean-canadian-transfer-targets (1/22)
There was a Belgian article that said he was considering a move to MLS (not necessarily NYC). Seems he was targeted by NJRB, not NYC. Van der Bruggen was targeted by Red Bulls: https://www.hln.be/de-krant/new-yor...gen~a43d52e3/?referer=https://t.co/C1jcfqiMoZ (1/22)

OPEN STORIES

Latest interview says he's still considering the move, but happy in Scotland. He's starting for Aberdeen tonight vs Hamilton. (1/23)
11. Signing Alexandru Mitrita (AM, 23, FIFA rating 71) from Universitatea Craiova
News came out today that NYCFC is pursuing him with a $6mm transfer fee attached. He's only 5'7", this seems ludicrous unless Maxi is leaving and this is our best like for like scenario (1/23). https://www.europafm.ro/alex-mitrita-dorit-in-major-league-soccer/

COMPLETED STORIES

OPEN STORIES

Latest interview says he's still considering the move, but happy in Scotland. He's starting for Aberdeen tonight vs Hamilton. (1/23)
11. Signing Alexandru Mitrita (AM, 23, FIFA rating 71) from Universitatea Craiova
News came out today that NYCFC is pursuing him with a $6mm transfer fee attached. He's only 5'7", this seems ludicrous unless Maxi is leaving and this is our best like for like scenario (1/23). https://www.europafm.ro/alex-mitrita-dorit-in-major-league-soccer/
What started as a simple information list has become a window into your unchecked dread regarding the team.