2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
If we sign Alexandru to a youth DP contract, our roster looks something like this*:

View attachment 9495

*I gave Barraza the same contract as Calldwell last season
*Transfermarket says the loan amount for Parks was $1.58mm. Max TAM amount is $1.53, so I set it at that, since he's not a DP.
*Estimated Juan Pablo Torres salary at $100k.

I have to see how everyone performs, but this is the first season I can remember without a Albatros contract on the roster. Idk what the on field results will be, but well done to the FO for cutting all the dead weight over the years. We're finally 100% free of the year 1 disaster that put us in salary cap hell.

He's 23.

I'm pretty intrigued by this signing. I doubt we recoup the transfer fee by selling him back to Europe anytime soon, which might mean this guy sticks around for the long haul if he performs.

Do we assume he'll be put at striker then in a fluid front ahead of Maxi?

I'd give him at least the season, hoping for 10 G+A or better.

It's going to be an adjustment. He's young, on a long contract and on a team that's built for the future vs staring at the countdown clock on DV7's career. I'll be happy just to see shoots of grass with the hope of a truly dominant year 2.

If he provides that stat line, we won’t make the playoffs.

If we sign Alexandru to a youth DP contract, our roster looks something like this*:

View attachment 9496

*I gave Barraza the same contract as Calldwell last season
*Transfermarket says the loan amount for Parks was $1.58mm. Max TAM amount is $1.53, so I set it at that, since he's not a DP.
*Estimated Juan Pablo Torres salary at $100k.

I have to see how everyone performs, but this is the first season I can remember without a Albatros contract on the roster. Idk what the on field results will be, but well done to the FO for cutting all the dead weight over the years. We're finally 100% free of the year 1 disaster that put us in salary cap hell.
Is it a given that parks is $1.5M??? Was that announced? Loans (not with sister clubs) can have the salary negotiated with the owning team picking up part of it.

Is it a given that parks is $1.5M??? Was that announced? Loans (not with sister clubs) can have the salary negotiated with the owning team picking up part of it.

I couldn't find the loan amount referenced anywhere but transfermakt. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/keaton-parks/profil/spieler/451860

Transfermart shows $1.58mm which is impossible, as it would make him a DP this season. Maybe The $1.58 is a mix of salary and loan fee? In either case, I had to cap it at $1.53 to allow TAM to be used.

We're still only $2.5mm over the cap in that scenario. Since each team is given $1.2mm in TAM to start the season and can purchase and additional $2.8mm in discretionary TAM (total $4mm), we're actually operating well below the cap if these numbers are accurate.

I couldn't find the loan amount referenced anywhere but transfermakt. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/keaton-parks/profil/spieler/451860

Transfermart shows $1.58mm which is impossible, as it would make him a DP this season. Maybe The $1.58 is a mix of salary and loan fee? In either case, I had to cap it at $1.53 to allow TAM to be used.

We're still only $2.5mm over the cap in that scenario. Since each team is given $1.2mm in TAM to start the season and can purchase and additional $2.8mm in discretionary TAM (total $4mm), we're actually operating well below the cap if these numbers are accurate.
I'm assuming his hit is probably a tenth of that. Without the buy option, Benfica retains a ton of value.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
I'm assuming his hit is probably a tenth of that. Without the buy option, Benfica retains a ton of value.

You may very well be correct. That's a very high amount for a 1 year loan of a B team player. If that's the case, we're really seeing a season of austerity.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's worth pointing out that we've complained the team isn't spending enough money, but if my Transfermarkt search is correct, the $9 million transfer fee would be the largest incoming transfer in MLS history by a non-Atlanta United team -- and even including Atlanta, it would be the third-largest incoming transfer, ahead of Miguel Almiron and behind only Barco and Pity Martinez.

You can disagree with spending this much money on this particular player, but this puts an end to the trope that NYCFC is unwilling to spend.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maj...ion_id=alle&altersklasse=&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

EDIT: This probably isn't the largest transfer fee by a non-Atlanta team due to exchange rates, but at the very least it's one of the largest in league history.

Last edited:
It's worth pointing out that we've complained the team isn't spending enough money, but if my Transfermarkt search is correct, the $9 million transfer fee would be the largest incoming transfer in MLS history by a non-Atlanta United team -- and even including Atlanta, it would be the third-largest incoming transfer, ahead of Miguel Almiron and behind only Barco and Pity Martinez.

You can disagree with spending this much money on this particular player, but this puts an end to the trope that NYCFC is unwilling to spend.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maj...ion_id=alle&altersklasse=&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=zu

Michael Bradley? Still your point stands that it's a large fee to pay to bring someone in. And it looks like they are doing it in hopes of selling him on for a larger fee down the road.

Michael Bradley? Still your point stands that it's a large fee to pay to bring someone in. And it looks like they are doing it in hopes of selling him on for a larger fee down the road.

That site has him at $6.66 million euros, the report has our transfer fee for Mitrita at $8 million euros.

OK -- well regardless, this is one of the largest transfer fees in MLS history, and my original report remains.

Agreed. I just feels like it's more an investment spend than it is buying the best player available to win now.

With our team's average age decreasing, salaries dropping to around 60-70% of the cap limit and transfer fees being spent on youth prospects (Medina/Alexandru) this is really starting to feel more like a farm team.

If he provides that stat line, we won’t make the playoffs.
I understand what you're saying, if we assume that we are just replacing DV's contribution with Mitrita's (we are going to have to do something about that t / ts). But the hope is that we get more production out of everybody who ends up sharing DV's minutes, plus greater production overall due to not having such a dominant single factor in our attacking setup.

I understand what you're saying, if we assume that we are just replacing DV's contribution with Mitrita's (we are going to have to do something about that t / ts). But the hope is that we get more production out of everybody who ends up sharing DV's minutes, plus greater production overall due to not having such a dominant single factor in our attacking setup.

I hope you’re right. I just don’t see the goal scorer on the roster. Maxi is what he is. Isi probably played the best he ever has last year. Medina is huge question mark. Berget is gone.

Agreed. I just feels like it's more an investment spend than it is buying the best player available to win now.

With our team's average age decreasing, salaries dropping to around 60-70% of the cap limit and transfer fees being spent on youth prospects (Medina/Alexandru) this is really starting to feel more like a farm team.

I don't think Mitrita is a youth prospect -- he's 23. That's the same age Miguel Almiron was at the start of his debut season for Atlanta.