2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Jack Harrison chose to come to NYCFC. Yes he was drafted, but he signed at the last minute and it seemed pretty clear that he signed knowing he was going to us. I'm obviously reading between the lines quite a bit and could be totally wrong, but I got the feeling that he signed because he was able to play with Lampard (and Pirlo, Villa, and New York as well played a role for sure)

we traded for him...chicago drafted him. IIRC we tried to sign him as a homegrown but were not allowed to so we went out of our way to trade for him. He was already in the "system" as he was playing in one of the nycfc affiliates before going to college and even saying he went to games in year 1 ( though that could just be him sucking up). Also, which kid would not want to share a locker room with lampard, pirlo, villa like he and shelton did.

EDIT- SoupInNYC already summarized it lol i gotta read before i quote. Also i remember many of us saying look how sad and disappointed he looked when he was interviewed on being chicago's number 1 pick etc.

Where has it been reported that he signed at the last minute? The most "last minute" signing by the league prior to the draft was Brandon Vincent, though he was not Generation Adidas.

And while we attempted the homegrown claim on him that failed, we were pretty close to not getting him. Reyna has been quoted as thinking that NYC had no chance of getting him at all. I would imagine Jack would know there's a high possibility that he may not end up in NYC, when there were 3 teams picking ahead of us.

Does Brandon Vincent retire if he gets to play with Villa, Lampard and Pirlo?

Reactions: Kjbert
Does Brandon Vincent retire if he gets to play with Villa, Lampard and Pirlo?

depends what we pay him, i think people were saying he was better off financially pursing his finance ( i think) masters and work on that field than sticking around Chicago

depends what we pay him, i think people were saying he was better off financially pursing his finance ( i think) masters and work on that field than sticking around Chicago

I was kidding. But you're right and I think it was me who was saying that considering what a finance major from Stanford can potentially earn ;)

Kristian Dyer in the Athletic says don't be shocked if Herrera comes back. Expect Villa's replacement to come in the summer.
"A late arrival, a new All-Star, and other bold predictions for NYCFC in 2019"
https://theathletic.com/750592/2019/01/04/nycfc-predictions-2019-mls/

Also, probably 1 or 2 more Tinnerholm/ Isi type signings, and Sands and Lewis should play more.

All presented as predictions. It's unclear how much of this is pure speculation and how much is stuff he knows but can't say.

Is this article by Dyer just him tossing fecal material at the wall to see what sticks or is there actual insight there? It feels more like the former.

As for Herrera, the latest chatter has him looking at teams in Spain. I’d be shocked if he comes back.

The “a big name is coming but only in the summer” also doesn’t seem right. NYCFC really going to roll with Berget leading the line for half the season?

Reactions: dummyrun and Kjbert
Is this article by Dyer just him tossing fecal material at the wall to see what sticks or is there actual insight there? It feels more like the former.

As for Herrera, the latest chatter has him looking at teams in Spain. I’d be shocked if he comes back.

The “a big name is coming but only in the summer” also doesn’t seem right. NYCFC really going to roll with Berget leading the line for half the season?
No idea. I was honestly just ready for an optimistic and fresh take.

Reactions: mgarbowski

He'll have more inside information than anyone on here, so if he's just speculating (and it sounds like he is), at least it's informed speculation.

I'd be happy with all the predictions listed above fwiw. So long as one of the Isi/Tinnerholm-level signings is a striker to take the heat off Berget.

Yesssss. More homegrowns! If we have enough of them, I guess we’ll have to play ‘em sometime
A college aged HG has to get playing time - if he doesn’t, it’s stunting his development (per Pulisic’s article last year). If NYCFC succeeds in signing him, they better not simply shelve him for only training minutes.

There’s no reason our homegrowns shouldn’t come in and be able to fill minutes. If they’re really playing the ‘city way’ on the Academy level then they’re going to enter training being more prepared than anyone we’d pick up in a draft.
Sands in the few minutes we saw him was a better passer than any low cap roster filler we signed. Probably because that’s what’s drilled into them in the academy. While it would be awesome to have 3 homegrowns in the squad as was mentioned above it’s meaningless if they don’t get time.
It would probably help things if we could advance past the first round of the Open cup.

I think we'd all be a lot more comfortable coming in 5th while playing our homegrowns v coming in 5th while playing guys like Amagat.

This seems....optimistic. Personally I'm looking forward to the keyboard warriors turning on the academy kids!