2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I think he means you should get roughly 30 goals between your 2 DP forwards/wingers. If we’re expecting our DPs to be constant starters and the best players on the team. That would be a novel concept in NYCFC history.
Its just an abitary number he picked that Medina and whatever DP we sign will probably never meet. Vela and Rossi were the top CAM/winger DP combo in the league with 26 goals. No one would say that either are a waste of a DP spot because they didn't get 30 goals.

Its just an abitary number he picked that Medina and whatever DP we sign will probably never meet. Vela and Rossi were the top CAM/winger DP combo in the league with 26 goals. No one would say that either are a waste of a DP spot because they didn't get 30 goals.
Any number picked is arbitrary, but if you want to use the top number of Vela/Rossi, then you're arbitrarily setting the ceiling at a lower level. Villa/Maxi hit 27G in 2017; and Maxi is hardly a scorer but 2018 Maxi with 2017 Villa would have hit 30. Villa/Lampard hit 35G in 2016. But sure, go ahead and claim it's a number that will probably never be met...... I'll agree it will be difficult to be met because Medina won't hold up his end of the scoring as a forward, but that's a different conversation.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Any number picked is arbitrary, but if you want to use the top number of Vela/Rossi, then you're arbitrarily setting the ceiling at a lower level. Villa/Maxi hit 27G in 2017; and Maxi is hardly a scorer but 2018 Maxi with 2017 Villa would have hit 30. Villa/Lampard hit 35G in 2016. But sure, go ahead and claim it's a number that will probably never be met...... I'll agree it will be difficult to be met because Medina won't hold up his end of the scoring as a forward, but that's a different conversation.

Because we struck gold with villa. Of course it won’t happen soon. We can only hope it goes similar to the vela/Rossi comparison. We won’t have villa type player in a while.

Because we struck gold with villa. Of course it won’t happen soon. We can only hope it goes similar to the vela/Rossi comparison. We won’t have villa type player in a while.
Gold is bought with money..... if CFG has any inclination to spend, even a fraction of what they spend on MCFC, then they can find the right player. Don't make it out to be that Villa was purely a lottery ticket, while his devotion to the city may not be duplicated, his scoring numbers sure can be.

Gold is bought with money..... if CFG has any inclination to spend, even a fraction of what they spend on MCFC, then they can find the right player. Don't make it out to be that Villa was purely a lottery ticket, while his devotion to the city may not be duplicated, his scoring numbers sure can be.

That’s exactly it, BECAUSE cfg won’t spend villa is a lottery ticket.

If this is our new DP signing we're a middle of the table club that is destined for 15k fans a match.

Do you honestly think it'll go any other way. I don't. I have ZERO faith that we get a big production DP. The team will rely on Maxi, Medina for goals. New DP will be of Medina level. The only thing that will change that is $$$ lost from fans.

Reactions: Kjbert
So that would put our current starting front six at:

F | Medina, Berget, Quevedo | Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Lewis
M | Moralez, Ring, Sands | Bedoya

Oof we have a lot of work to do in the midfield. If there is any significance to Medina being listed as a mid on the 2019 roster moves announcement, maybe he is the new 10 with Maxi back at the 8.

Way too premature, just highlighting the holes needed to fill yet. Not to mention center forward.
I believe Lewis and shradi are better then Medina. He was disappointing this year. Also how can we just assume that Quevedo walks into the lineup.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
That’s exactly it, BECAUSE cfg won’t spend villa is a lottery ticket.
You're missing the point, and that's ok, so I'll break it down for you. CFG struck gold with Villa BECAUSE (see, I can use caps too) they spent money to get him - he WAS NOT a lottery ticket in the sense CFG got lucky with frugal scouting, but they struck gold because they spent more than a considerable (by MLS' standards) amount of money on his contract. A lottery ticket would be Gio Reyna.

You're missing the point, and that's ok, so I'll break it down for you. CFG struck gold with Villa BECAUSE (see, I can use caps too) they spent money to get him - he WAS NOT a lottery ticket in the sense CFG got lucky with frugal scouting, but they struck gold because they spent more than a considerable (by MLS' standards) amount of money on his contract. A lottery ticket would be Gio Reyna.

So we doing the mls 1.0 method throw huge money to players with name looking for last payday and hope it works? I do think they felt burned with lampard and pirlo and that’s why they not willing to go that route and doing 1.2M for maxi/medina in salary.

We got lucky because we had a world class player that was perhaps tiny bit past the prime and still willing to come over and try this mls thing and has mentality for it. Cfg can throw 5 million plus salary a year to a player but if they don’t won’t want to come they don’t.

That’s why cfg wanting to frugal and test luck with the Medina’s to hope and get almiron type play out of it.

So we doing the mls 1.0 method throw huge money to players with name looking for last payday and hope it works? I do think they felt burned with lampard and pirlo and that’s why they not willing to go that route and doing 1.2M for maxi/medina in salary.

We got lucky because we had a world class player that was perhaps tiny bit past the prime and still willing to come over and try this mls thing and has mentality for it. Cfg can throw 5 million plus salary a year to a player but if they don’t won’t want to come they don’t.

That’s why cfg wanting to frugal and test luck with the Medina’s to hope and get almiron type play out of it.
Read what I wrote before putting words in my mouth. Get the facts right.

And Almiron cost a hell of a lot more than Medina - they were looking for a lottery ticket rather than buying gold. Get those facts right too.

Read what I wrote before putting words in my mouth. Get the facts right.

And Almiron cost a hell of a lot more than Medina - they were looking for a lottery ticket rather than buying gold. Get those facts right too.

Doesn’t matter at the end of the day CFG won’t spend and it’s been obvious for last couple of years. I keep saying this in different threads nothing will make them spend or break bank. No they are not serious in investing in the team, it’s up to each of us to decide if they want to keep supporting the team or not.

But that's why you scout these guys, you talk to them before they sign, you make sure you know what you're getting. You don't just throw money at players and ask them to come, you need to do the work to make sure you're getting what you want. I don't think we got lucky with Villa. We were fortunate we found a player with his mindset who wanted to come here.

And I don't think we can compare Almiron to Medina, aside from being at similar points in their careers. Almiron is a bonafide Premier League/Bundesliga prospect. Medina is not. They're not really comparable aside from both being young.

Doesn’t matter at the end of the day CFG won’t spend and it’s been obvious for last couple of years. I keep saying this in different threads nothing will make them spend or break bank. No they are not serious in investing in the team, it’s up to each of us to decide if they want to keep supporting the team or not.

I don't really buy this argument. NYCFC has had one of the top salary budgets in MLS since joining the league. They've spent more than the vast majority of teams in this league. Atlanta is on another level partly because that team makes more money than everyone else between ticket sales and merchandise. Arthur Blank isn't doing it for charity -- he's getting 70,000 people in the door for those games, which is why he's able to spend so much more than everyone else.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
But that's why you scout these guys, you talk to them before they sign, you make sure you know what you're getting. You don't just throw money at players and ask them to come, you need to do the work to make sure you're getting what you want. I don't think we got lucky with Villa. We were fortunate we found a player with his mindset who wanted to come here.

And I don't think we can compare Almiron to Medina, aside from being at similar points in their careers. Almiron is a bonafide Premier League/Bundesliga prospect. Medina is not. They're not really comparable aside from both being young.

Fortunate? To me that sounds lucky to have him and enjoy him and I’m happy I got to see him and sadly CFG never helped get him that trophy.

No Medina is not almiron but everyone here seems to always compare the two or want almiron type player every time, when that doesn’t happen many times even In other mls teams.

As for communication I don’t think cfg has that either, just look at the lampard fiasco, everyone thought he was signed then turned out he didn’t even sign till months after. I mean cfg just let him come whenever he wanted ( practically deceiving fans)

Ownership with is us is a freaking mess and that will continue I think

Fortunate? To me that sounds lucky to have him and enjoy him and I’m happy I got to see him and sadly CFG never helped get him that trophy.

No Medina is not almiron but everyone here seems to always compare the two or want almiron type player every time, when that doesn’t happen many times even In other mls teams.

As for communication I don’t think cfg has that either, just look at the lampard fiasco, everyone thought he was signed then turned out he didn’t even sign till months after. I mean cfg just let him come whenever he wanted ( practically deceiving fans)

Ownership with is us is a freaking mess and that will continue I think

My point on Villa is that they didn't just blindly throw money at him. They scouted, they talked to him, they knew what they were getting.

I agree with you on Medina -- it's not feasible for any team aside from Atlanta to get Almiron-type players. No other team makes enough money. You can't expect CFG to spend $15M on a player if revenues don't support it.

I'm not a fan of CFG either, but they have spent ample money on this team, and they brought in good players. Hell, we were a championship-level team last year before Vieira left. I'm not sure how people can say they're not investing enough in the team when we built one of the best teams in the league last year.

If they don't reinvest money back in, then we can complain. Nothing's happened this offseason yet, let's give them a chance to execute their offseason plan.

I don't really buy this argument. NYCFC has had one of the top salary budgets in MLS since joining the league. They've spent more than the vast majority of teams in this league. Atlanta is on another level partly because that team makes more money than everyone else between ticket sales and merchandise. Arthur Blank isn't doing it for charity -- he's getting 70,000 people in the door for those games, which is why he's able to spend so much more than everyone else.

The way I see it, cfg was spending in salary because of villa/lampard/pirlo. They needed to to create hype for the team in year one with names rather than on the field. Especially in nyc and hope they stick around, but they didn’t.

The budget is there, but willingness is not that’s why they got maxi and Medina ( medina thru probably hoping he becomes something while he’s here and normally I don’t mind having a young kid prospect since I tend to not like older players as DP’s)

As for Arthur blanc I know tickets are pricier in some areas in their stadium than ours but I don’t think it makes a huge difference on the budget for spending in players. He wants to spend it to bring barco or Martinez almiron etc.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The way I see it, cfg was spending in salary because of villa/lampard/pirlo. They needed to to create hype for the team in year one with names rather than on the field. Especially in nyc and hope they stick around, but they didn’t.

The budget is there, but willingness is not that’s why they got maxi and Medina ( medina thru probably hoping he becomes something while he’s here and normally I don’t mind having a young kid prospect since I tend to not like older players as DP’s)

As for Arthur blanc I know tickets are pricier in some areas in their stadium than ours but I don’t think it makes a huge difference on the budget for spending in players. He wants to spend it to bring barco or Martinez almiron etc.

Maxi had a bad first season here, too -- let's give Medina another year before we call him a bust.

And with Atlanta -- they averaged what, 50,000 fans a game? We averaged half of that. Let's assume they're making double what we are on ticket sales. Let's also assume they're making more on their TV deal because they get better ratings than we do. Let's assume they're making double what we are on merchandise (it's probably a much larger gap, if we're being honest). There are a ton of reasons they can afford to spend more on players, and it's not because of Arthur Blank's generosity.