2020 Roster Discussion

big news for me is that Mata IS protected... :(

would have rather protected Rocha or Seb on that list.

also - looking at the list from every team on the MLS website... it doesn't make sense at all. Teams have listed players who are no longer with the team. for example. LAG listed Zlatan. lol
It's based on this season's roster. We listed Villa last year.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This is undoubtedly the biggest news on the list for NYCFC, as it means at a minimum that the club believes it has a chance to get him again in 2020. If there were no chance they would leave him unprotected.
Or as some people have said, maybe we are reserving his rights for an eventual return to the US even if he's back in Europe next year. That feels way too speculative of a use of this slot for us though. Especially with high-salary-efficiency guys like Rocha and Seb on the unprotected list.

I hope sweat gets taken, we get a little GAM infusion of 50K, and it really forces LB to be a priority this offseason by making us go out and get at minimum a decent backup level LB. My dream scenario is to get a young guy with potential who wins the job by the end of the season and becomes a stud for us for the next few years

Damn, I really want to keep seb badly. I get the Rocha love but I feel that was mostly a dome system guy to fill in. I don’t think they give him same role with new manager

Edit: still confused on this park thing, even if it’s rights, benéfica still has to ok a loan a potential loan anywhere even if it’s other team in mls with his rights. It’s not worth a spot.

Damn, I really want to keep seb badly. I get the Rocha love but I feel that was mostly a dome system guy to fill in. I don’t think they give him same role with new manager

Edit: still confused on this park thing, even if it’s rights, benéfica still has to ok a loan a potential loan anywhere even if it’s other team in mls with his rights. It’s not worth a spot.
That's why I'm hoping it's a sign that we have secured him for next season and that it's not just a waste of a spot.

Reactions: Kjbert
Disappointed about Seb. Think Rocha would be a tough loss. But mostly Seb
Maybe it’s just clearing space for the homegrowns? No doubt we keep Callens and Chanot, then we have Sands and (as rumored) Gray after them at CB—so as efficient as Seb is from a cap perspective, I could see it if the FO thinks there’s more upside with the kids. But, yeah, Seb’s been good for us.

I hope the teams listen to the pundits and take Sweat. Then Seba and Rocha are safe. Maybe we shouldn’t even be talking about this in case there’s an expansion intern reading this for some added insight before the draft.

Also e.g., Parkhurst is retiring. This happens every year and isn't hard to figure out. The contracts don't expire the day after MLS Cup. They run to somewhere in the middle of the offseason. As long as you have an active contract you end up on one of the lists. Further, Zlatan's new team is not in an open transfer window so he cannot be officially transferred yet.

Right, but if you know you're not bringing him back, you should leave him unprotected anyway.

Which leaves me to believe those players had a no-move clause in their contracts, forcing them to be protected even though they're leaving/retired. Also could be why we protected Parks, unless we learn that he's coming back next year.

That's why I'm hoping it's a sign that we have secured him for next season and that it's not just a waste of a spot.

I don’t know rules, but let’s assume we got him for next year and he’s left unprotected. If someone takes him then befica can easily say “fuck that,were loaning him to nycfc not another team” cant they just recind loan? This is why I’m confused by it, unless rules state otherwise. That’s why I thought parks and ofori would be left unprotected

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I don’t know rules, but let’s assume we got him for next year and he’s left unprotected. If someone takes him then befica can easily say “fuck that,were loaning him to nycfc not another team” cant they just recind loan? This is why I’m confused by it, unless rules state otherwise. That’s why I thought parks and ofori would be left unprotected
Also why nobody would be likely to take him (or either of them). Also why I'm hoping it means he's back next year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Maybe it’s just clearing space for the homegrowns? No doubt we keep Callens and Chanot, then we have Sands and (as rumored) Gray after them at CB—so as efficient as Seb is from a cap perspective, I could see it if the FO thinks there’s more upside with the kids. But, yeah, Seb’s been good for us.

They view Scally as a potential CB too. I guess if you lose one of Sweat or Seba, the other is a backup.

Or the expansion clubs could pick them essentially risk free, knowing they will be recalled and gain rights to the player. If they were going to skip a pick anyway, which I believe teams have in recent drafts, it's a risk free strategy. Either you get the player if the loaning club let's you, or maybe someday you get a bit of money if they come back to the league. Perhaps Benfica wants Parks to stay in NYC, if the expansion teams pick him, we are forced to compensate them. It's an easy move.

In a game with such a massive player pool domestically and internationally, the expansion draft is so annoying.