2020 Roster Discussion

Barraza doesnt fit the bill for either imo

I think that's probably correct. I definitely think Sweat or Ibeagha are the most likely players to get selected, with Miller being the only other player with any kind of realistic chance. Anyone else would be a major shock.

I think that's probably correct. I definitely think Sweat or Ibeagha are the most likely players to get selected, with Miller being the only other player with any kind of realistic chance. Anyone else would be a major shock.

I honestly like ibeagha as backup but i guess if we sign tayvon grey then that may help in case hes drafted

I honestly like ibeagha as backup but i guess if we sign tayvon grey then that may help in case hes drafted

Yeah we can find a backup if we have to. The nice thing is that if we do lose one of these guys, it's none of our first-choice starters and no one that's really essential to what we do. We will be able to replace either Sweat or Ibeagha if they're picked.

Yes, true. Im just throwing out scenrios where benfica liked his year and thought he is ready for a next step and loan him to europe (or benfica breaks mls loan because if he got drafted by expansion side and loans him to euro tram instead) team and jumpstart that euro career how valuable are those rights then if he don't come back until 5-6 years down the line. I just feel it was not worth the risk as expansion side for basically having discovery rights to him.

That was my thought process as to not having to protect him. Of course this can be moot if he had some sort of no trade clause that automatically puts him in protected list.
Gotcha. I read your initial post as "what if he was loaned to another MLS team", but re-reading that now, I see you just said "another team", and not specifically MLS.

Not to mention, do we really see Luis Barraza as a starter for this team at any point? He's a prospect, sure, but Sean Johnson should be here for a long time. Sean's still only 30 years old, he's still got a long time of top-flight goalkeeping left.
It's obviously hard to tell since he has 0 minutes for us (in either MLS play or USOC play), but I do believe the team is very high on him, and he definitely fits our playing out of the back style. I would imagine the thought on him right now is to be a backup and then be ready to take over once Sean John is done here (either he wants to go somewhere else, or we decide he's too expensive for a position where cheaper options are more valuable, salary-cap savers).

But that all could change if he gets minutes and his actual shot-stopping skills don't translate into MLS.

1574130426372.png

We can buy down 2 DPs? What? Is this just MLS not knowing what they are talking about or do we have the ability to have medina and mitri both bought down to TAM contracts and get 2 Big DPs?

View attachment 10485

We can buy down 2 DPs? What? Is this just MLS not knowing what they are talking about or do we have the ability to have medina and mitri both bought down to TAM contracts and get 2 Big DPs?

Yeah. That’s real strange. We’ve been over that a million times. Amortized Ks with transfer fees are too much to buy down with TAM unless the rules are changing.

I thought I read somewhere that the DP threshold was rising to $1.5M. Would that change any of the calculations?

nope. Medina had a $4mm transfer fee. And had a $750k salary. Even a 5 year contract only brings him down to $1.55mm pa. Now if he has a 6 year deal....

I wonder what happens if a team takes Medina in the expansion draft. Does the new team have to cover our transfer fee? or is our transfer fee just gone? If it’s the latter, does his budget charge change so that it’s just his salary? - meaning he’s no longer a DP.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I wonder what happens if a team takes Medina in the expansion draft. Does the new team have to cover our transfer fee? or is our transfer fee just gone? If it’s the latter, does his budget charge change so that it’s just his salary? - meaning he’s no longer a DP.
I doubt we get the transfer back, because that would undermine the basic rule that compensation for chosen layers isn $50k GAM. I would expect the fee comes off NYCFC's books. The selecting team should have to put the fee on their books, even though they didn't pay it, but I wouldn't be shocked if that were not the case.

Today at 5:30 PM is the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft. Available on all MLS channels: website, app, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube...

We'll find out whether it's Ibeagha or Sweat going to either Nashville or Miami.

I doubt we get the transfer back, because that would undermine the basic rule that compensation for chosen layers isn $50k GAM. I would expect the fee comes off NYCFC's books. The selecting team should have to put the fee on their books, even though they didn't pay it, but I wouldn't be shocked if that were not the case.
I think that's probably right, but it is yet another example of how MLS rules complexity can lead to ambiguous results. I wonder if anyone even thought of this ahead of time.