2020 Roster Discussion

Also, let's assume your interpretation is correct - Nashville takes Medina, doesn't pay the $4 million but counts him as a DP; then, they sell him for $2 million. Does the $2 million get treated as if they sold him for that amount of profit - i.e. they pocket 2/3, including getting $750K of GAM? Or does it first go to repay our $4 million transfer fee?

If it's the former, then drafting Medina sounds pretty good, notwithstanding that his performance is below DP level. Give him PT and then sell and get a profit.

The Athletic just did their mock draft. Their predictions are not that important. What's interesting for us is that they consider NYC to have the best set of players available. They consider both Ibeagha and Sweat to be likely choices - but only one can go. Medina and Miller are also guys they think would be targets in a normal year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Today at 5:30 PM is the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft. Available on all MLS channels: website, app, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube...

We'll find out whether it's Ibeagha or Sweat going to either Nashville or Miami.

Please be Sweat! Please be Sweat! Please be Sweat!

Reactions: Schwallacus
Also, let's assume your interpretation is correct - Nashville takes Medina, doesn't pay the $4 million but counts him as a DP; then, they sell him for $2 million. Does the $2 million get treated as if they sold him for that amount of profit - i.e. they pocket 2/3, including getting $750K of GAM? Or does it first go to repay our $4 million transfer fee?

If it's the former, then drafting Medina sounds pretty good, notwithstanding that his performance is below DP level. Give him PT and then sell and get a profit.

They seem to think that Nashville would not assume the budget charge for the transfer fee and could therefore carry Medina as a TAM player by buying down his salary. OTOH I'm not sure Doyle & co. are fully up on all the salary rules.

Last edited:

They seem to assume that Nashville would not assume the budget charge for the transfer fee and could therefore carry Medina as a TAM player by buying down his salary. OTOH I'm not sure Doyle & co. are fully up on all the salary rules.
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't really know the rule here.

I don't see why Nashville would be able to receive something different and better than what NYC is giving up.

If NYC traded Medina to Nashville, it wouldn't erase the effect of the original transfer fee. Not sure why this is different.

Last edited:
I doubt we get the transfer back, because that would undermine the basic rule that compensation for chosen layers isn $50k GAM. I would expect the fee comes off NYCFC's books. The selecting team should have to put the fee on their books, even though they didn't pay it, but I wouldn't be shocked if that were not the case.
I believe NYCFC owes anybody dumb enough to take Medina $50k GAM.

I noticed that Lee Nguyen was left unprotected by LAFC. It surprises me that he isn't being discussed more. He's a solid player and could be a good building block for one of the expansion teams.
He wasn’t an everyday starter for LA and I think he has a not-low salary, so expendable.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't really know the rule here.

I don't see why Nashville would be able to receive something different and better than what NYC is giving up.

If NYC traded Medina to Nashville, it wouldn't erase the effect of the original transfer fee. Not sure why this is different.
I also wouldn't be surprised if MLS just makes the rule up on this as it would "help" an expansion squad.

While I believe the way you're looking at it is correct, it wouldn't completely surprise me if MLS ate the transfer fee and allowed the expansion club to take him on without the amortization of the transfer fee, considering there isn't any precedent (that I know of) on this.

Reactions: adam
I wonder what happens if a team takes Medina in the expansion draft. Does the new team have to cover our transfer fee? or is our transfer fee just gone? If it’s the latter, does his budget charge change so that it’s just his salary? - meaning he’s no longer a DP.
I would expect that because of the single entity that Medina's budget charge would be exactly the same. He's working for the same company under the same contract. If NYCFC loses the transfer fee, I would imagine that we would be entitled to something if they sell Medina.

But who knows tell MLS tells some guy at the Athletic.

I noticed that Lee Nguyen was left unprotected by LAFC. It surprises me that he isn't being discussed more. He's a solid player and could be a good building block for one of the expansion teams.
I think one of the teams are going to make a LAFC player an early pick. Miller is probably the best GK available and Beitashour the best fullback.

Right. LAFC is a bit like us. A very deep team, so that they have several attractive options.

Nguyen is on a $500,000 salary and would start at #8 or #10 for 80% of the league. He started about half the games he was available for at LAFC. He's American, which helps marketing and frees up an international slot. He was killing it for New England, but wanted more money. On the other hand, he just turned 33, and it is not clear how much he has left in the tank. He also may be out of contract this year (hard to determine).

Tyler Miller is also exposed. His salary was only $73K, and now that his contract is up, he wants a big raise and might move overseas to get it. He's a solid keeper but a risky pick.

LAFC also have Beitashour, El-Munir & Harvey available too.

Also, a disclaimer: You're certifiably insane if you'd rather have Ben Sweat off the team than Jesus Medina.

giphy.gif

But yes, I agree with you.

Watch Seba get taken. Transitioned to RB and becomes MLS all star.

Reactions: Kjbert