2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
we're turning into RBNJ!

at least based on these signings so far...

God I hope not. I still have faith that we're going to make some juicier signings before the season kicks off. I mean I feel a little disinclined to subscribe to Apple as it stands...

God I hope not. I still have faith that we're going to make some juicier signings before the season kicks off. I mean I feel a little disinclined to subscribe to Apple as it stands...

I'm holding judgment until I see who we sign to replace Maxi. If they sign a proven player like Maxi was when he came in I will believe that they are trying to reboot a competitive roster. If we sign another very young unproven raw player to that last DP spot its going to really start to feel like the team is just being used as another pool of young prospects CFG can take chances on in the hopes that a few of them pan out so that they can be shipped off to other CFG clubs.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
Jeez, guys. We won MLS Cup 13 months ago. Our core was aging and was all going to be out the door one way or another soon, anyway. What's with this negativity that we're not planning on putting a competitive roster out there? We have the best record in MLS since 2016 -- CFG has consistently given us a good product every year.

I would love to hear incoming rumors, too, but the window just opened. The season starts in like 7 weeks. We have plenty of time to sign guys. I don't understand the constant negativity around here after the team, in 12 months, won two trophies, made a conference final, and announced a stadium deal. They are delivering for us. Give them a chance to deliver again.

I'm holding judgment until I see who we sign to replace Maxi. If they sign a proven player like Maxi was when he came in I will believe that they are trying to reboot a competitive roster. If we sign another very young unproven raw player to that last DP spot its going to really start to feel like the team is just being used as another pool of young prospects CFG can take chances on in the hopes that a few of them pan out so that they can be shipped off to other CFG clubs.

Do we think Magno has played to a DP level over the length of his contract?

Jeez, guys. We won MLS Cup 13 months ago. Our core was aging and was all going to be out the door one way or another soon, anyway. What's with this negativity that we're not planning on putting a competitive roster out there? We have the best record in MLS since 2016 -- CFG has consistently given us a good product every year.

I would love to hear incoming rumors, too, but the window just opened. The season starts in like 7 weeks. We have plenty of time to sign guys. I don't understand the constant negativity around here after the team, in 12 months, won two trophies, made a conference final, and announced a stadium deal. They are delivering for us. Give them a chance to deliver again.
I think it stems from the fact we didn’t get a second run at it. Based on how this team performed last season, if they had a way to keep Tati & Ronny, there’s a good chance we could be saying we just won our second cup a couple months ago. If that was the case, we’d all probably be fine with it being torn down now due to age, salaries, and aspirations. We don’t realize it, but in our collective subconscious we’re still bitter over those two departures and what it may have cost us.

Do we think Magno has played to a DP level over the length of his contract?
magno was a star until he was forced to play the 9. then he struggled.. understandably. not to mention it was right when we had our injury chaos and coaching change too. it was a mess. but as a wing with a full squad, he was a star and top 5 winger in MLS no question.

i wouldn't put it against him that he dropped off while being told to play the 9. he's learning the position still.

Pozuelo is available. He'll give us everything Maxi gave us and our collective hearts won't be in our mouths when he steps up to take PK's. ;)

I'll be shocked if miami don't re-sign him. did they already let him go officially?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene and Kjbert

i personally wasn't trying to be negative. was more of a joke than anything based on who we have signed or are rumored to sign.

yes there is still time before the season starts to sign some players and this is in line with our signings in the past, but I don't think we've been in this sort of situation since maybe... second or third season of the club?

2022 was rough. we lost a coach, our clutch #9, and Sands. Now we lose some more big name players and have 2 who are seemingly already out the door. It's a lot to take in considering our remaining roster is literally 4 brazilians, chanot, morales, parks, and some academy products. everyone is just anxious to see some big signings to replace those big players. and yea, we knew the core wasn't gonna last forever, but we sure didn't see it breaking up like this.

-- --

out of curiosity, looked at the current roster. Llenic is listed as a SENIOR player. The guys who play on the II squad are listed as either "signed" or as part of the supplemental roster. So, I guess this kid is gonna be a starter, first backup?

i personally wasn't trying to be negative. was more of a joke than anything based on who we have signed or are rumored to sign.

yes there is still time before the season starts to sign some players and this is in line with our signings in the past, but I don't think we've been in this sort of situation since maybe... second or third season of the club?

2022 was rough. we lost a coach, our clutch #9, and Sands. Now we lose some more big name players and have 2 who are seemingly already out the door. It's a lot to take in considering our remaining roster is literally 4 brazilians, chanot, morales, parks, and some academy products. everyone is just anxious to see some big signings to replace those big players. and yea, we knew the core wasn't gonna last forever, but we sure didn't see it breaking up like this.

-- --

out of curiosity, looked at the current roster. Llenic is listed as a SENIOR player. The guys who play on the II squad are listed as either "signed" or as part of the supplemental roster. So, I guess this kid is gonna be a starter, first backup?

The "senior roster" is basically the top 20 earners on the team -- those are the only players that count against the salary cap. He could fall off that list after we make signings if they layer over him in salary.

I think it stems from the fact we didn’t get a second run at it. Based on how this team performed last season, if they had a way to keep Tati & Ronny, there’s a good chance we could be saying we just won our second cup a couple months ago. If that was the case, we’d all probably be fine with it being torn down now due to age, salaries, and aspirations. We don’t realize it, but in our collective subconscious we’re still bitter over those two departures and what it may have cost us.
I think the club did what they could, especially with the commitment to letting people leave whenever they want. I also think they knew Taty and even Ronnie were likely to leave in the summer so the main focus for 20222 was Champions League, and it nearly worked out but Frei stoned us.

Turning to Maxi and Pozuelo, I checked Pozuelo's age and recent stats. He's 31, and his (G+A-PK)90 in 2022 is roughly in line with his first 2 years in MLS.
Then I checked Maxi. I was a bit surprised to see the same stat for him last year was down by about 0.2 per 90. My sense was he was only slightly off but he went from a range of 0.50 -0.55 to 0.34. That's a substantial drop. Then I checked the first half/second half splits, and Maxi really fell off in the second half. Was it age and fatigue, or because Taty was gone and he had fewer outlets and opportunities for assists?. Most likely both I guess. Certainly our second half last year was going to be an uphill climb no matter what with all the extra CCL games.

He did last year. 2021 was his adjustment year, and he still scored some massive goals for us. So yes, I'll say that he has. His numbers last year, especially considering his age, were tremendous.

I agree

He's been out of contract as of the 1st. If we do sign him it would be a total 180 from the way this team has been constructed over the past few years, so I doubt he'll end up in the Bronx.

i don't think he'd come to NY anyway. He seems pretty happy in Miami and from interviews I've seen of him, his girlfriend is from Miami, so he has no real reason to leave.

magno was a star until he was forced to play the 9. then he struggled.. understandably. not to mention it was right when we had our injury chaos and coaching change too. it was a mess. but as a wing with a full squad, he was a star and top 5 winger in MLS no question.

i wouldn't put it against him that he dropped off while being told to play the 9. he's learning the position still.

Magno's production dropped off when Taty left and he lost the guy that was doing all the work to make space for him. I don't think it has anything to do with where Magno lines up as he clearly has the green light to drift wherever he needs. Magno is super talented and he's a phenomenal use of the young DP spot but we don't need another Magno with that 3rd DP spot we need another Maxi. An established player that can impact the game regardless of what's happening around them. Maxi, Villa, Sands, Taty are all players we've had that can have a massive impact on a game all on their own, Magno may get there but he's not there yet.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
I think the club did what they could, especially with the commitment to letting people leave whenever they want. I also think they knew Taty and even Ronnie were likely to leave in the summer so the main focus for 20222 was Champions League, and it nearly worked out but Frei stoned us.

Turning to Maxi and Pozuelo, I checked Pozuelo's age and recent stats. He's 31, and his (G+A-PK)90 in 2022 is roughly in line with his first 2 years in MLS.
Then I checked Maxi. I was a bit surprised to see the same stat for him last year was down by about 0.2 per 90. My sense was he was only slightly off but he went from a range of 0.50 -0.55 to 0.34. That's a substantial drop. Then I checked the first half/second half splits, and Maxi really fell off in the second half. Was it age and fatigue, or because Taty was gone and he had fewer outlets and opportunities for assists?. Most likely both I guess. Certainly our second half last year was going to be an uphill climb no matter what with all the extra CCL games.
You’re offering up some great debate these days. Either that or you just like to make pee pee in my orange juice. Either way I’m weirdly enjoying it.