2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A well run club with a media and fans that cared would demand the Football Director to explain himself and this season.

My GUESS is that they spent their load on Gabby and Talles Magno and expected them to be Almiron and Almada. What we’ve learned from this club is that when they make a DP mistake ON THE FIELD, they play out the mistake to the end of their contract. They did it with Medina and Pirlo and Lampard. They’re now doing it with Magno and our above average CB.

What sucks is that we probably received transfer commitments of roughly $30 million this week, payable over a few years. Very little of that money helps the Club’s performance.

Reactions: Shwafta
so you're saying because they were competitive for 7 years with a championship, they can take off a season and not even try to do what any team should do in the off season and fans don't have a right to be upset?

were you not the same person who was crying "dereliction of duty" the other day?

I said that about not signing a striker for 3 transfer windows when they knew Taty was leaving or had left. But this was clearly always a retooling season, and that's OK. Yes, they can retool for a season. After all the talent we lost last offseason, we were never going to be a top team this year. It's gone worse than we were hoping, but it's really not the end of the world. We have nearly $30 million in incoming transfer funds that will (hopefully) be used to improve the squad. We'll be fine, and I get the feeling we'll be fine pretty quickly.

Are you kidding me? Claudio had no Academy, had to start a team from scratch with 0 players and and had his best coach leave mid season on him.

David Lee walked into a COMPLETE team and turned it into a loser.
That team turned into a loser won MLS Cup and then went to the ECF the following year.

If that's a loser, then sign me up for the losers.

With this response, I am in no way defending Lee for this season, but ignoring previous successes is just nonsensical hyperbole

That team turned into a loser won MLS Cup and then went to the ECF the following year.

With this response, I am in no way defending Lee for this season, but ignoring previous successes is just nonsensical hyperbole

You’re not following.

He won the Cup with Claudio’s roster. They were worse the next year. And worse the year after.

I already listed contributions made in 2021 by players acquired by Lee a couple of days ago. But if we're really doing a Reyna/Lee comparison and blame game, lets also note that:
  • NYCFC won exactly 1 playoff round during Claudio's 5 years in charge
  • NYCFC won just 2 out of 7 USOC rounds, including a 1 Win 2 Loss record against lower division opponents
  • Claudio's overall record signing DPs was poor
  • Claudio signed Johnson and Callens to extensions that expired the same year
  • Claudio so alienated the coach he hired to replace Vieira that he quit after his first full season
  • and then Claudio quit almost immediately afterwards
Reyna had to deal with an extremely unfavorable 2015 expansion process, the CFG Lampard betrayal , and Vieira quitting midseason. Lee had to deal with taking over a team with no coach and a plan of succession that consisted of waiting for von Bronckhurst or Arteta to call, plus all sorts of Covid fallout, including a DP who asked to be transferred to join his family midseason, and a lower salary cap that necessitated, among other things trading the team's captain to Reyna's new team.

Outside of recency bias and being disappointed a lot right now, I don't see why we need to do this. Both Reyna and Lee deserve significant credit for the 2021 team, and a 7-year combined stretch of general excellence. The idea that Lee just rode the train that Reyna built and lucked into winning 4 times as many playoff rounds in one year as Reyna did in five does not fly.

Last edited:
You’re not following.

He won the Cup with Claudio’s roster. They were worse the next year. And worse the year after.
Ahh, so the additions of Gudi, Talles Magno, Thiago Andrade, Santi Rodriguez and then extensions of Keaton and Taty had zero impact to the title run.

And yes, the team was worse in 2022 than 2021. It fell from the 9th best season in MLS history in terms of xGD to the 10th best season in MLS history.

And yes, this season has been a shit show.

Ahh, so the additions of Gudi, Talles Magno, Thiago Andrade, Santi Rodriguez and then extensions of Keaton and Taty had zero impact to the title run.

And yes, the team was worse in 2022 than 2021. It fell from the 9th best season in MLS history in terms of xGD to the 10th best season in MLS history.

And yes, this season has been a shit show.

Gudi made a free kick. Talles scored a goal. It’s not like they crushed it that year. Thiago sucked then and sucks now.

Not sure how the extensions of Taty and Parks play into this.

You seem to want to protect David Lee for some reason. We get worse every year

I knew this would be the response so that is why in both my previous posts I included I am not giving Lee a pass for this year and that this year has been a shitshow.
Gudi made a free kick. Talles scored a goal. It’s not like they crushed it that year. Thiago sucked then and sucks now.

Not sure how the extensions of Taty and Parks play into this.

You don't think Taty and Keaton played major roles in the 2021 cup win? I understand that Keaton got injured right before the playoffs, but he still played a massive role in the team finishing where it did in the table (as did Talles, Thiago, Gudi, Santi).

In fact, take away Gudi's FK goal, Thiago's late winner against DC, and Talles' game-tying goal against Dallas, and the team misses the playoffs.

And I missed where you get silverware for xG.
You said the team got worse each year and were turned into "losers". Since you already know that the team (since being turned into "losers") had won MLS Cup and Campeones Cup (sure, some many not think much of this, but it is silverware), I assume that you were talking strictly eye-test.

But since you brought up silverware, I guess see above.

And again, because I know it will be the response once more. This season has been a shitshow and Lee is the most culpable person on the team/front office for it.

You said the team got worse each year and were turned into "losers". Since you already know that the team (since being turned into "losers") had won MLS Cup and Campeones Cup (sure, some many not think much of this, but it is silverware), I assume that you were talking strictly eye-test.

But since you brought up silverware, I guess see above.

And again, because I know it will be the response once more. This season has been a shitshow and Lee is the most culpable person on the team/front office for it.

Captain Moral Victory over here.

We weren’t competitive during the year last year but won a couple of playoff games. We’re not competitive this year.

It’s not acceptable. But go on about meaningless stats. The only stat that matters is wins.

Captain Moral Victory over here.

We weren’t competitive during the year last year but won a couple of playoff games. We’re not competitive this year.

It’s not acceptable. But go on about meaningless stats. The only stat that matters is wins.
herm GIF

Reactions: Kjbert
In my best Michael Scott voice, THANK YOU.

Use xG when you want to show how player X makes the team better or worse.
Just going to point out that the choice of a meme of a team that hasn’t won sweet FA in over 50 years only serves to underscore Soup’s point that this team (until this year) has been remarkably successful.

Just going to point out that the choice of a meme of a team that hasn’t won sweet FA in over 50 years only serves to underscore Soup’s point that this team (until this year) has been remarkably successful.

No. They have not. They’ve been consistent but successful?

That’s like saying Leicester have been remarkably successful the last 10 years.

We’ve won one piece of hardware out of the 20 available to us since joining the league.

No. They have not. They’ve been consistent but successful?

That’s like saying Leicester have been remarkably successful the last 10 years.

We’ve won one piece of hardware out of the 20 available to us since joining the league.

It's a 29-team league. We won our first championship in year 7. That's pretty damn good.

There are probably 20 teams in MLS that would sign up for our last 8 seasons, this year included.

If this season is our nadir (and I think it's reasonable to believe it is), that's pretty good. Some of this league's most historic teams have had worse years than this including D.C. United, LA Galaxy, and Toronto FC. Atlanta had a terrible two seasons, and they came into the league like gangbusters. Sporting KC has been trash lately.

If this is as bad as it gets, we're incredibly lucky. Some of our fans are coming off as incredibly entitled this season. Every single team in this league goes through a season like this -- most go through multiple seasons like this. It's the harsh reality of a salary-capped league. No team can stay top forever. This isn't England.

David Lee deserves credit for the team winning MLS Cup.

David Lee also deserves blame for this season being an absolute shit show.

Both of these things are true.

Also, this better be a nadir - NYCFC has won ONE of its last 17 games. That’s half a season folks. What is the fewest wins ever in a MLS season? Is it two?