Anger With Rb

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
So what's the anger with RB stem from?
I'm not from Ny so being a spectator based on that I don't see why we have beef there. It's one thing for it to be a rivalry based on proximity (once the season starts) but I don't get why beef right now when we literally have no team or stadium or ground to stand on

Reactions: Hugo_PZ
Good question. I don't have any problems with the Red Bulls at all. If anything, I guess I'm one of many who wish they built Red Bull Arena at the Meadowlands rather than in Harrison. It's a real hassle to get out there and even though it's a bit further away the Meadowlands is so much easier to get to.

I also don't get the beef with Red Bull ownership. I have to admit it totally flies right over the top of my head when soccer fans twist themselves into knots over Red Bull, MCFC, David Beckham, et al. It's such a non-issue to fans regarding ownership of teams in other sport.

meh, then again I have to admit I'm the type of guy who rolls his eyes when anyone starts tossing around terms like "organic" and "grassroots".

Not sure its so much the fact they play in NJ. I don't know much about New York Giants but presumably they actually do a good job of marketing in NY. Perhaps they used to play in NY I don't know and can't be bothered looking it up. Some older fans on here have obviously been unhappy with the neglected marketing both regimes have shown so that's created bad feeling too. How idiotic to take a great name like Metrostars and use Red Bulls instead. If people want to truly piss them off point out this fact. RB is a corporation and can change at any time. One guy at the top dies and the whole thing could come crumbling down. Then they have a third name change in a short space of time (if it happened in next 20 years)

NYCFC has sovereign wealth backers which is a very strong long term guarantee when it comes to financing. I know which owners I'm betting will stay around longest.

In some ways I've actually found Cosmos fans to be the more obnoxious or at least the more bitter. There's been no real hostility from other sides in North East either. Its not like the people of Philadelphia and New York have always been on friendly terms. As time goes on though things might shift in a totally different direction. It could be a momentous game or something that shapes the first few years. Then we will "know our enemy" so to speak. Big clubs have more than one rival (and this is a BIG club) and RB at least isn't an embarrassing choice if people want to consider them number 1.

People still referring to them as New York at the moment. Next year it will be presented as New York v Red Bulls and so it should.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
For me it's a few things:

1 - They are NYCFC's natural rivals, and coming from a British perspective, rivals are meant to be hated. You simply won't find two derby rivals in England or anywhere in Europe who's fans will treat each other's teams civilly - and that builds character and atmosphere.

2 - From the very launch of the club there's been a vocal minority of RB (and Cosmos) fans who have taken every opportunity to stick the knives in. Fair enough if they choose to do so, but I will respond in kind.

3 - Red Bull is just a horrible, horrible company. They walk into clubs they take over and tell the fans "your old club does not exist any more. You have no history. You deserve no history. Behold your new club, which you will have no say in. Worship it". They are particularly infamous in Europe for how they ruthlessly gutted Salzburg's side and when the fans raised a complaint they were told - in no uncertain terms - "well go and support another team then, because this one's ours".

Check out this for the basic story behind why they're so vile:

http://supportersnotcustomers.com/2013/06/11/against-red-bull-football/

The hate flies right over my head. I'm still rooting for a good RB season. If anything, I'm annoyed at their poor use of players rather than a manufactured rivalry.

Once the 2015 season starts I'm sure I'll begin feeding into the rivalry but RB will always have a place in my heart.

Reactions: Joename
Thanks for posting this thread. Honestly, the sudden hate is turning me off a bit from the whole supporters club element of NYCFC. It's beyond disingenuous to suggest that this team is somehow more authentic than the Red Bulls/Metros who are not only an original MLS club, but also whose supporters have no control over the team's branding or name. I started watching MLS just last season and really enjoyed watching the Red Bulls' march to the Supporter's Shield. That last game of the season was one of the most enjoyable sporting events I have ever watched. That franchise has held the standard for first tier soccer in this city for 20 years. The name calling on Twitter and the NYCFC Supporters Facebook page (Dead Bulls, Pink Cows), is just absurd, amateurish, and silly. Playing up the corporate aspect of their branding is doubly ridiculous, considering this club is a partnership between Man City and the New York freaking Yankees playing in a billion dollar baseball stadium half funded by taxpayer cash.

I love rivalries. But there is no rivalry yet because we have no team. To dig in against the Red Bulls now could end up backfiring a bit, isolating people who might be wavering between their interest in NYCFC and the long time support of their current team. Optimism, discussion, and care for this new team is awesome. Dragging down an original MLS team and their long suffering fanbase to satisfy some contrived rivalry is not going to make for a healthy supporter's culture.

^ I'm 100% with you for those reasons as well.
It's all a bit silly for me. If you look at it from a realistic standpoint we don't have a leg to stand on yet.

Thanks for posting this thread. Honestly, the sudden hate is turning me off a bit from the whole supporters club element of NYCFC. It's beyond disingenuous to suggest that this team is somehow more authentic than the Red Bulls/Metros who are not only an original MLS club, but also whose supporters have no control over the team's branding or name. I started watching MLS just last season and really enjoyed watching the Red Bulls' march to the Supporter's Shield. That last game of the season was one of the most enjoyable sporting events I have ever watched. That franchise has held the standard for first tier soccer in this city for 20 years. The name calling on Twitter and the NYCFC Supporters Facebook page (Dead Bulls, Pink Cows), is just absurd, amateurish, and silly. Playing up the corporate aspect of their branding is doubly ridiculous, considering this club is a partnership between Man City and the New York freaking Yankees playing in a billion dollar baseball stadium half funded by taxpayer cash.

I love rivalries. But there is no rivalry yet because we have no team. To dig in against the Red Bulls now could end up backfiring a bit, isolating people who might be wavering between their interest in NYCFC and the long time support of their current team. Optimism, discussion, and care for this new team is awesome. Dragging down an original MLS team and their long suffering fanbase to satisfy some contrived rivalry is not going to make for a healthy supporter's culture.
I was at the SS game last year. It was an amazing thing to be a part of.

Last years RB team was a great team. Aside from Espindola, I thoroughly enjoyed watching each player on that team. They were my gateway to MLS and soccer as a whole.

I can't wait for NYCFC to start because they are a true homegrown team. I feel like they are trying very hard to have this team honestly represent this city. Moreso than RB, Metrostars or the Cosmos ever have. It doesn't mean any of those teams are bad or any less valuable, they just don't offer what I want in a team.

The only problem I have with Red Bulls is their horrible name and identity and location prevented me from becoming a supporter in MLS. I wanted a team the last couple of years, but it could not be a supporter of RB for those reasons, so now I have to wait. I don't hate them, really, I just don't have a lot of respect for what the club has become in those areas. I am sure their fans are great.

Except maybe the Merseyside derby?

Touché.

I said from the very start that I only joined this forum to give the English perspective on events and that I thought I'd stay in the background most of the time. I've exceeded that mandate largely because in this forum's early days it needs as much activity as possible. However, I do acknowledge that many of you are casual followers of NYRB waiting for a closer team, and many of you as you have said don't like the intense rivalry aspect. I can respect that. My views on Red Bull aren't going to change, but to avoid causing problems I will simply avoid mentioning them from hereon out.

Touché.

I said from the very start that I only joined this forum to give the English perspective on events and that I thought I'd stay in the background most of the time. I've exceeded that mandate largely because in this forum's early days it needs as much activity as possible. However, I do acknowledge that many of you are casual followers of NYRB waiting for a closer team, and many of you as you have said don't like the intense rivalry aspect. I can respect that. My views on Red Bull aren't going to change, but to avoid causing problems I will simply avoid mentioning them from hereon out.
Don't do that. This board here in particular is meant to discuss more heated and opinionated topics. Such as this one. It's more of an anything goes section of the site.
Plus the last thing is do is limit someone's opinions so feel free to voice yours all you want.
Being a site with a growing member base we will have differentiating opinions which is fine. That just creates more discussion.

Don't do that. This board here in particular is meant to discuss more heated and opinionated topics. Such as this one. It's more of an anything goes section of the site.
Plus the last thing is do is limit someone's opinions so feel free to voice yours all you want.
Being a site with a growing member base we will have differentiating opinions which is fine. That just creates more discussion.
Falastur Falastur, Dan is right. If you've got an opinion let it be heard. I enjoy the banter. One of my favorite threads to take part in on other forums are the TRASH TALK threads. It's hilarious listening to people rail on each others teams. As long as we are mature adults (which many of us are) then things said should not be taken personally.

The only thing I would suggest against is personal insults and divulging personal information about someone without their knowledge or permission.

Reactions: Kinkladze
I say we do have a leg to stand on. 18 years in NYC and they haven't made a presence, NYCFC hasn't played a game yet and they've already making noise in the city.

I understand what you're saying, but if people are telling me that slagging off NYRB is putting potential recruits off the team it would be remiss of me to continue. I'd rather wait until a derby or two have taken place, by which time zone genuine antipathy between the two clubs may well have built up and the attitude will be something people are used to.

Its only in response to their mud slinging. We gotta have backbone and defend our support. Though I understand what you mean, I don't want people to be turned away from NYCFC because they view the fans as too hostile

I don't care that we don't have a team. We are already "sharing" the city. The battle to win the city began when the team was announced. The rivalry has already begun, and playing vs each other will only intensify it. IMO you cannot support RBNJ and be a die hard NYCFC fan. RBNJ is everything that NYCFC is trying not to be. The Pink Cows are and will always be our most hated enemy.

My issue with Red Bull is that there seemed to never be an initiative to embrace New York. They did not do anything to advertise or bring fans into the fold. They seem very happy to be a "suburban" club. I do not hate them. I attend games every year, but once NYCFC was launched, I felt an affinity to the team. They reached out to the community in the city. They seem to be a lot more interested in the soccer side of things instead of selling a brand. In the year that NYCFC has been around, I have seen a lot more community outreach and branding of the club than I have seen out of the Red Bulls since they were the MetroStars.

Reactions: einwindir
I have three reasons:
1: The Red Bulls say they are from NY. They are not.
2: The Red Bulls (and Cosmos) have bashed us since our announcement
3: A group of Red Bulls supporters has already scrapped with a group of NYCFC supporters.

And so, the rivalry was born.

I HATE Red Bull NY. Many reasons. I hate the way they took over both the Metros and Salzburg. I hate Red Bull itself, it is disgusting.
Mainly though I hate NYRB from my earlier days as an MLS fan with the Revolution. With the Metros/RB being our main enemy, I hated them! Obviously, I lost my passion for the Revs many years ago due to horrible management and neglectful ownership, with no hope for change. I had considered jumping on the Red Bull bandwagon to align with my NY roots, but my built-in hatred of them, as well as the whole Red Bull involvement made that impossible.
Obviously, being a Yankee fan growing up in Red Sox territory, I have learned to have a respectful and friendly rivalry with my enemies, instead of a heated and violent one. While I will trash the dead bulls/pink cows and poke fun at the fans in conversation, it can be done respectfully. They will be our enemy and banter is to be expected, but there is a line, let them be the ones to cross it, not us!