Away - 04/11 Philadelphia

We have a big target forward but we play so negatively he's being asked to play like Messi when instead we should be crossing the ball into the box for him to win aerial duels. Teams play a high line against us and we don't have the speed to beat them. Nemec has to drop 35-40 yards away from goal to win clearances then is expected at the same time to already be up the field so the he can help Villa. That's why he struggles a lot. Passing laterally 6-7 times then kicking it up the field and praying Nemec wins it won't work 20 times a game. I've said this ad nauseam but we need more muscle in the midfield in order to free Mix from the CDM shackles.

We have a big target forward but we play so negatively he's being asked to play like Messi when instead we should be crossing the ball into the box for him to win aerial duels. Teams play a high line against us and we don't have the speed to beat them. Nemec has to drop 35-40 yards away from goal to win clearances then is expected at the same time to already be up the field so the he can help Villa. That's why he struggles a lot. Passing laterally 6-7 times then kicking it up the field and praying Nemec wins it won't work 20 times a game. I've said this ad nauseam but we need more muscle in the midfield in order to free Mix from the CDM shackles.
How many times have we seen this play. Get the ball to mix who starts working it upfield, the entire team starts to push the defense back. Ball ends up out wide to a full back who sits on it for 3 seconds then passes back to the center back. Attack is dead, the only choice is to kick it back to saunders for a boot ball up to nemec. If we wins it we have a chance, if he loses it, the entire team is out of position for the counter attack.

(edit: +10 for the avatar)

To me, Calle has looked better than Grabavoy despite getting only 60 minutes of game time. Shelton has looked better than Ballouchy and Velasquez, despite getting about 100 minutes on the season. Many of us were saying we had no FB depth while building the team, then we go and move one FB to CB, and send another one to USL while we keep four GK on the roster. It doesn't look like an issue with the team needing to gel, it looks like there are questionable decisions being made regarding roster and selections.

Shelton is the ONLY guy on the team who makes runs towards the goal without the ball. How is he not starting?!?!?!!?
All valid points and not necessarily inconsistent with many of mine. I do disagree with your gelling comments as I don't think they have the feel yet for where to go and what to do that more seasoned teammates have. They are repeatedly running through each other, expecting runs that don't happen, passing to space with no one moving to space, expecting others to cover on D, etc. This will naturally get better. And I think you will see an infusion of youth gradually, though not as aggressively as many may like.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
The point about Mix is a great one. He clearly is playing too far back. His greatest assets require him to push up more and playmake. I do give him props though for working on his D game and intensity.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Interesting tidbits from whoscored.com

Hernandez highest rated, Brovsky lowest

Calle lowest passing percentage, Hernandez highest

Diskerud with 8 tackles led the team. 12 clearances by Hernandez

We recorded one accurate cross (Calle)

Reactions: JayH and Goodfella
Saunders went up to punch it, Casey pushed out while he was in the air and knocked him off balance. That gets called 9/10 times.

From the view in front of the goal that looks like what happened but when seen from the back it looks more like Saunders' dive was going to end up with him on the ground no matter what Casey did. I think the no call was correct.

So, the MLS controversial plays video has 6 going against Philly (NYCFC free kick/penalty shot) and only one against NYCFC (a slip on the part of the Philly player).