Away - 04/11 Philadelphia

They definitely need to change things up in the midfield. Status quo just isn't working. I'd like to see Poku get some quality minutes in place of Jacobsen. Not that I dislike AJ, he works hard but he gives us nothing going forward. I am also unimpressed with Velasquez and Calle. They are both far too casual with the ball. I think its about time that Kries gives Tommy Mac a run out there. From what I saw of him early on at Chivas last year, he's a creative, attack minded player and that is something we are sorely missing in our midfield.
I agree on AJ and Velasquez, disagree on Calle. I think its too early to make a call on him, he should get starting minutes along with Poku

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think it's time for Brovsky and possibly Grabavoy to take a seat. I want to see Shelton get at defenses from the start of a game so hopefully we'll see him at RM/RW next game. And I guess in the back I'd put Facey in at LB even though that's not his position. Or Maybe have Wingert play LB and KWS slide into CB

image.jpg

It may be time to face facts about Nemec, he isn't going to cut it.

He had a few bright spots today, but it speaks more to how little we expect from him rather than how exceptionally he performed.

Once Khiry comes in, the change is noticeable. Villa needs a player to run off on, and Nemec can't hold onto the ball effectively enough. When Villa makes a run off of Nemec, there isn't a chance he won't be double covered because Nemec telegraphs every move he makes.

Brovsky is mediocre in all aspects of his game and is killing us when he gets pulled out of position.

Idk why Kreis insists on playing our most experienced LB as a CB. This forces Brovsky to play on the wrong side. Both games (St. Mirren and SKC) he played in his natural position, he was much better. We have Mendoza and KWS on the bench, why play 2 defenders out of position? KWS and Hernandez had a great game together at YS minus the thrown in. Have T-Mac or Grabavoy replace Velazquez and move Mix up. He's not a fucking CDM. Get Poku next to AJ to put some muscle in the midfield. Have Poku push up once in a while and AJ stay back to cover. We've shot ourselves in the foot 4 fucking times now. And for the love of everything stop with the fucking back passing. Possession doesn't mean a fucking thing when you're passing laterally between your back line.
The only Ray of light was the ball movement on the goal.
https://gfycat.com/CaringWearyAlleycat#

Last edited:
Managed to watch the game last night, all I can say is the players are still trying to get on the same page as each other, their a lack of communication between the players, tbh the match should of been a draw I don't think Phily deserved the win

The team is defensively weaker than offensively in which they ain't too bad, I thought in the 2nd half they were making some impressive plays, gonna have to admit this 3rd DP needs to be a Centre Back, also they need to start giving Shelton more playing time, I would personally have Shelton just playing off Villa and drop Nemec to the bench, Nemec needs to be the player the plays are building towards and the end product of the plays themselves ie Target Man, as long Villa their the is no chance of that happening so Nemec would be better as a impact sub

It's not all doom and gloom yet, it's only their 5th game and most likely they will win during the week against Philly, their is a lot of potential but they need to work on being more of a team instead of individual plays, Mr Villa was getting fed up in 2nd half and was trying to do too much on his own which end up with him making silly errors and quite possibly the worse individual performance I've see from him in quite a long time and I have watched a lot of his games

Just stay patience and it will come, again they have Lampard to come which will help Villa immensely and I can see Mix and Lampard working well together

Reactions: Gavin23
We can't do anything in the midfield. Velasquez is a moron who couldn't see a pass if it bit him in the face. Grabavoy never gets above the pace I myself use when grabbing a beer from the fridge during a break in play.

And Brosky is just utter shit. I swear that half of Mid's first half pass decisions were made with covering for his completely incompetent defending. And going forward, he's even worse.

Some people just didn't believe me, but we don't have much starter quality on our squad, at least how we start.

Kreis needs to nut up and get some new blood out there. Poku, Shelton, and shift Wingert to LB. He's garbage at CB anyway.

I had to turn the game off at halftime yesterday. It was just too pitiful to watch. I predicted we'd have less than 1.25 points per game at the end of May. Who knew I was such an optimist?

We can't keep running out Brosky just because he tweets. He's one of the absolute worst players I've ever had the pain of watching. Actually, he is a lock for worst starter in the league right now.

And since I haven't mentioned him yet in this post, let me add that Jacobsen is the definition of mediocre. He just has nothing of note to give either way.

The team we have right now is unwatchably bad. God help us, we're the worst team in the league. And it's not particularly close.

It may be time to face facts about Nemec, he isn't going to cut it.
I actually thought Nemec did a fantastic job today. He made some great passes in the attacking third, and when he wins balls at midfield facing his own goal, the ball hits the foot of a player going upfield. Even on some goal/free kicks, he could make the gentlest touch to Mix running past him and put it right on his feet. His skill is in possession, and I thought he was very impressive. Wish he was a touch more agile and athletic, however.

Reactions: Gavin23 and P Polef
I've settled down a bit, but I still can't believe the shit I watched yesterday. They played one of the worst teams in the league, and they looked like they couldn't handle them. Here are some of my quick observations, that many have already expressed:

- Brovsky, Grabavoy and Velasquez are just garbage. They shouldn't be near any MLS starting 11.

- This team is obsessed with passing the ball back. I don't know what it is. They seem afraid to move the ball forward. They aren't creative, and don't take chances. It's infurriating. MOVE THE FUCKING BALL UP!

- Why is Shelton still on the bench? Why? This makes no sense. The kid is probably one of the best players on the team, and he sits. The Nemec experiment is over. The dude is too slow and clumsy to be a real forward.

- Villa was really off today. He had a bunch of chances to score and just ruined them.

- Mix was nice defensively, but didn't seem to do much else. Is he playing too far back?

- With a young keeper playing in his first MLS game, how do you not bombard the penalty area with cross after cross. I don't recall a single good cross to the area.

- I'm not familiar with Kreis' coaching style, but does he just sit on the bench and not say anything? I don't think I've ever seen him stand up and communicate with the team.

- I hate to say this, but we need Lampard now more than ever.

Last edited:
I actually thought Nemec did a fantastic job today. He made some great passes in the attacking third, and when he wins balls at midfield facing his own goal, the ball hits the foot of a player going upfield. Even on some goal/free kicks, he could make the gentlest touch to Mix running past him and put it right on his feet. His skill is in possession, and I thought he was very impressive. Wish he was a touch more agile and athletic, however.

I have to disagree.

He had no shots, no key passes, no dribbles, and won 5 aerial balls. His stats don't lie, he has 70% pass rating, that's his only upside.

One other thing though guys, slightly game related.

I've been going to the same bar for away games here in Brooklyn and the turnout has been steady now.

The best part about this game happened when I looked around and saw people going crazy for Villa's equalizer, the truth finally hit me.

There may be a stadium to build and we may have some issues, but holy shit, we have a team in NYC! In the MLS! And we played Philly.

We don't have to dream about what it's going to be like, it's been 5 games, and now it's all about our season and the game.

I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure it's real, it's just beautiful, too fucking beautiful to believe. Can't wait until next week.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN BLUE!

I have to disagree.

He had no shots, no key passes, no dribbles, and won 5 aerial balls. His stats don't lie, he has 70% pass rating, that's his only upside.
No key passes? He made the perfect pass behind the Philly back line that started the goal, one of the few that were actually made to slip someone behind the entire match. Not to mention, he wins nearly every ball directed towards him. He's not a sexy player, but he is very efficient.

I must disagree. His key pass led to our goal. He made a great one touch pass to Williams making a long run into the box

That's not a key pass, by definition.

A key pass is a pass that leads to an attempt on goal.

Also, I know Nemec had a few bright spots, but I just don't rate him.

Khiry does everything he does, but better. He can jump, he can run, and he can play physically.

Nemec is like the Gheorghe Muresan of the MLS. Tall, clumsy, and the one thing he does, he doesn't do it all too well.

Hey, I hope he proves me wrong. Would love to see him take the pressure off of Villa.

Edit : And I've heard before people saying that it's unfair that Nemec is compared to Khiry, who both play two different roles and positions.

That may be partly true, but if that's the case, its a reflection on our tactics as well as what fits player wise into the system.

Since we play on a narrow pitch at Yankee stadium, Kries wants a player to knock the ball down, but Villa and a 4 man midfield play the best when they have channels to run through an Nemec isn't a great provider.

I wish I had time to make a video of all of his touches in the game so we can all get a better picture of what I mean. His first touch is horrid.

Last edited:
No key passes? He made the perfect pass behind the Philly back line that started the goal, one of the few that were actually made to slip someone behind the entire match. Not to mention, he wins nearly every ball directed towards him. He's not a sexy player, but he is very efficient.

Again, a key pass, according to how the MLS scores the statistic, is a pass that lead to an attempt.

An attempt converted would be an assist.

A back pass, and especially under the circumstances you both described, is not in my book something I consider exemplary. Especially for someone 6'3.

Nemec has played on 7 different teams and has been mediocre at all of them.

He has 60 appearances in 3 years at Union Berlin playing in the Third tier of the Bundesliga, and scored 16 goals.

We have almost no movement off the ball. Everyone just stands and watches the guy with the ball. Where is the movement? Waiting for a gap to appear in the opposing team's defense isnt working. You have to move it up and make THEM make the mistakes. So many passes were blocked or intercepted. Poku and Shelton not only bring pace, but energy and enthusiasm. Everyone looks like they are waiting for orders. Who is the general on the field? Villa? Mix? We need a leader.

Slightly different topic... I admit i'm totally ignorant on this, but how much of a language barrier could be restricting us on the field? Is verbal communication more difficult? I know teams all over the world have players from all over the world, so how do they do it?

I've settled down a bit, but I still can't believe the shit I watched yesterday. They played one of the worst teams in the league, and they looked like they couldn't handle them. Here are some of my quick observations, that many have already expressed:

- Brovsky, Grabavoy and Velasquez are just garbage. They shouldn't be near any MLS starting 11.

- This team is obsessed with passing the ball back. I don't know what it is. They seem afraid to move the ball forward. They aren't creative, and don't take chances. It's infurriating. MOVE THE FUCKING BALL UP!

- Why is Shelton still on the bench? Why? This makes no sense. The kid is probably one of the best players on the team, and he sits. The Nemec experiment is over. The dude is too slow and clumsy to be a real forward.

- Villa was really off today. He had a bunch of chances to score and just ruined them.

- Mix was nice defensively, but didn't seem to do much else. Is he playing too far back?

- With a young keeper playing in his first MLS game, how do you not bombard the penalty area with cross after cross. I don't recall a single good cross to the area.

- I'm not familiar with Kreis' coaching style, but does he just sit on the bench and not say anything? I don't think I've ever seen him stand up and communicate with the team.

- I hate to say this, but we need Lampard now more than ever.
Velasquez and Ballouchy are both frustratingly wastes of decent quality ON THE BALL because they have no clue beyond winning the occasional take-on.

And I agree that Mix is playing too far back. I can't figure out if he's doing it to cover for the Brosky , or if he's instructed to be the deepest lying MF. Whatever the reason, we need to change it up.

Nemec doesn't move enough, and therefore, the whole team ends up sitting still.

With apologies to BxLio91 BxLio91 , I think there's a better name than Backheel City. The more appropriate name is Backpass City.

If Kreis doesn't wanna give up on Nemec then its time to give up on Velasquez, no sense in having two players drag us down in the attacking third.
I'd much rather see Nemec go than Velasquez. I still don't understand why we don't have a Villa Shelton Velasquez Mix Calle Taylor Poku type combination in mid and attack. I'm a little partial because I've liked what I've seen from Velasquez but I see him not having much option with the ball once he breaks a defender or two. Still have to sit down and watch a reply of yesterdays game.

I think Mix is trying to make up for the backline being so weak. The few plays where he actually got up and made runs into the box yesterday looked dangerous, but he's spending too much time back. He's gotten a defending bonus in fantasy almost every week. That shouldn't be his job.

Reactions: The Toe