Away - 06/24 Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you were a Juve fan, you'd have lost your mind with Allegri moving Mandzukic to the wing, huh?

To me, you're getting hung up on positions. It's about getting the right balance of what we need on the pitch. Maxi can take the ball into the final third almost on his own, certainly when Harrison and Wallace are out there and able keep the defense honest so they don't collapse onto him.

We won't have the luxury of that combination or that player, so we need another option. With what I've proposed, we can construct slick and quick passing moves and also play more directly.

Okoli occupies CBs, Wallace and Villa or Jack run off of him, and Jack or Villa drop in between the lines to pick the ball up short and run at the back line.
It's a sign of a good lawyer that you can construct a cogent argument around moving the best player in the league out of his best position for an important match.

Still insanity though.

It's a sign of a good lawyer that you can construct a cogent argument around moving the best player in the league out of his best position for an important match.

Still insanity though.
To be honest, if it weren't RBNJ, I would be in your camp. The high press makes me think we should risk it, though, because I think our odds to win go down significantly with the TMac Experience. Their RB will be all up in our grill at the midfield stripe with him on.
It sounds reasonable but I think Villa is a bit hung up on position himself. How they line up is pointless but I bet if they went the route you're suggesting Villa would be listed in the middle and start the game in the center circle and then drift wide with Okoli cutting in. Would be nice to see, Okoli has shown some decent hold up skills and would provide a long ball option when needed to break the pressure.

I'm worried we will see the ucubed start we are dreading. Can't see them having him do all that press yesterday if they are not planning to start him. A healthy Maxi seems like the only way we avoid it at this point and I think the "Maxi might be okay to play" quotes are just coach speak trying to force RB to game plan for him.
That arrangement of Villa and Okoli would work, too, so long as they move like last time.

Villa always plays like some combination of striker/wherever the hell he wants anyway, so if he wants to be written down as a striker, fine. Vieira can tell ESPN to show it as a 442. Just make damn sure Okoli knows his role. And Villa can just go on doing Villa things.

It's not moving him. He does what I described all the time anyway, evidenced by how many times Maxi and Wallace end up as the farthest guys forward. 2nd half last week, it was just extremely prominent when we had Okoli on. It also worked extremely well.

Given the fluidity we play with, doesn't much matter if you call him a striker, LAM or LW. He's occupying almost entirely the same spaces. Couple that with the need for a viable long ball target and my feelings on Ucubed's effectiveness as a starter, and I'll take a front 3 of Villa-Okoli-Wallace over Ucubed-Villa-Wallace.

Villa and Okoli's joint presence also would do more to help the defense than we would gain with the latter option.
But our wingers drop back and help on defense, which means you either slide Herrera more to the left side to cover, or you are asking Villa to do a whole lot of sideline running. And while he has shown an ability to run and stay active for 90 minutes, do we really want him to have to split his energy?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
But our wingers drop back and help on defense, which means you either slide Herrera more to the left side to cover, or you are asking Villa to do a whole lot of sideline running. And while he has shown an ability to run and stay active for 90 minutes, do we really want him to have to split his energy?
That's why the presence of two strikers is key.

And also, the next move that RBNJ constructs from sustained possession in the final third will be damn near the first one. So I don't see it being too much of a detriment on that front.

Yeah, if Pirlo doesn't play it's not proof that he has put on a Mix hat. You need your most athletic MF against RBNJ's pressing, which means that Pirlo could be a liability - so you might not want to play him anyway. I wouldn't play Tommy Mac/Ucubed because he isn't athletic either. Put Harrison in the MF and start Lewis. Run them out of the building.

Theres this whole narrative that pirlo is a defensive liability but weve give up more goals per game without Pirlo than we have with Pirlo.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The Villa Okoli Wallace experiment worked pretty well last game with Okoli getting quite a few good opportunities from either setup or pressing/stealing the ball. He was just undone by the field conditions scuffing the ball with his shots - the best example was when he shot, was saved, he shot the rebound, saved, Wallace shot that rebound, saved. None of them got a clean cut on the ball and GK/defenders had Matrix limbs out there blocking everything. If was unreal how everything was saved. But the point still stands - they were creating.

giphy.gif

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Theres this whole narrative that pirlo is a defensive liability but weve give up more goals per game without Pirlo than we have with Pirlo.

Loosing mataritta for Ben Sweat probably has more to do with that then the Pirlo situation. Excepting our first game against Atlanta we've been a compromised team the entire season.

Comedy option. Sands has been training with the first team for three weeks now, what if PV gives him the runout this weekend?

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Loosing mataritta for Ben Sweat probably has more to do with that then the Pirlo situation. Excepting our first game against Atlanta we've been a compromised team the entire season.

Comedy option. Sands has been training with the first team for three weeks now, what if PV gives him the runout this weekend?

I don't think the argument is Pirlo was part of the reason we conceded fewer goals previously. I think the argument is the data doesn't support the idea that Pirlo is the liability some people think.

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
Yeah, buddy. We looked stellar when he was on against RSL. And by on against RSL, I mean having a horror show in Sandy, and by stellar I mean like absolute shit.

I don't think the argument is Pirlo was part of the reason we conceded fewer goals previously. I think the argument is the data doesn't support the idea that Pirlo is the liability some people think.
Fine. But that's also why we can't score as often with him. I posted this elsewhere and multiple times, but when he's on, the entire team has to bend to his playing style. He doesn't fit.

Shit. He was a great player. Why would you guys want him even out there getting embarassed? At RSL, he looked a decrepit old man. Show some respect and let him bow out gracefully.

Fine. But that's also why we can't score as often with him. I posted this elsewhere and multiple times, but when he's on, the entire team has to bend to his playing style. He doesn't fit.

Shit. He was a great player. Why would you guys want him even out there getting embarassed? At RSL, he looked a decrepit old man. Show some respect and let him bow out gracefully.

He won Man of the Match vs RSL... they gave him nothing to work with

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You dont think Mata is a defensive liability? Great winger but he is not a good defender.

Basically by definition anyone who plays an attacking wingback role is going to be a defensive liability.

Mataritta at least busts his butt to get back and try to help with defensive cover. Ben Sweat just stays up there with the forwards and jogs back slower than Villa half the time.

I don't necessarily disagree. Do I think he's the defensive liability some claim? No. Do I think he's been productive offensively this year. Definitely no. You're right, his style just doesn't fit this team. And that is unfortunate because despite his limitations I think he still has something to offer... just not in NYC any longer.

He won Man of the Match vs RSL... they gave him nothing to work with
Did you and Angela decide that? The first half was arguably the worst 45 I've ever witnessed by a professional player.

Before then, he was doing okay. Not a good fit, but okay. Then, it was like he died. That's why I refer to him as Zombie Pirlo now.

Reactions: 21Architect
Status
Not open for further replies.