Being A Paid Supporter.

einwindir

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Queens, NY
This is just in response to the shoutbox discussion. I'm interested in seeing everyones opinions.
  1. JoseNYFC:
    I'm in section 238, supports sect. but not in third rail just next which is the same, dont see the reason to pay 30 bucks a year? dont see the benefit
  2. JonsConspiracy:
    I'm kind of confused why they even need $30. Seems like a supporters group should just be a group of guys who get together and figure out how to best support the team... not make money.
  3. 413Blue:
    Yea that's the main reason I decided to not join the TR. Not because I can't afford $30, but because of the principle. You won't find a more expensive SG in the league and this one is brand new
  4. 413Blue:
    It seems clear they decided to get as much money as possible and who knows where it will go...I would like to be able to audit their financials after a year or so before I join
  5. 413Blue:
    would not be surprised if some of the founder's are making some coin. 800x30=$24,000

Disclaimer: NYCFC Forums is in no way affiliated with NYCFC, The Third Rail or any of their respective social media accounts.

Paying to be in a supporters group usually to cover things like scarves, ID's etc. They also keep a certain percentage for flags, banners and tifo. It is necessary if you want that American Outlaws experience.

If you want to support without joining TR there are a number of Social Clubs emerging. A style of support that I am more inclined to join later on. NYCFC Social, Bronx Football Supporters Club, Brown Bag SC.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
jayzd.gif

I would imagine there are some administrative costs that need to be covered as well. Another guess on my part would be some of the dues money would go towards defraying costs that arise when organizing road trips.

TBH, I didn't join yet because I want to see how things first pan out.

Reactions: einwindir
@413Blue while I'm not as skeptical as you may be I agree, I would like to see an audit for 2014. I'd also like clarification if these current dues are for 2014 or 2015. bring this up because there was a thread a few weeks ago where one of the Board Members mentioned 2014 being a seperate cycle than 2015.

@413Blue I'd also like clarification if these current dues are for 2014 or 2015. bring this up because there was a thread a few weeks ago where one of the Board Members mentioned 2014 being a seperate cycle than 2015.

I recall seeing that awhile ago myself and it's one reason (albeit a minor one) why I didn't join right away . I'm sure it probably couldn't be helped and it just might have been the easiest and fastest way for SG to get things going forward, but it didn't make sense to me to plunk down $30 in August only to have to do it again come the new year.

If you read the benefits , those can be done with out paying , bar discount and the travel discount are the only things that may be helpful, the rest can be done without the membership. i'll be seating in the section next to them "238" so I can still do the same stuff as them, do think they will stopme from jumping chanting and support my NY team, OUR TEAM.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I recall seeing that awhile ago myself and it's one reason (albeit a minor one) why I didn't join right away . I'm sure it probably couldn't be helped and it just might have been the easiest and fastest way for SG to get things going forward, but it didn't make sense to me to plunk down $30 in August only to have to do it again come the new year.
For me, it came down to the scarf. I really wanted that scarf. I think they did a great job choosing the design.

As for the 2014/15 dues. I honestly don't know what I'll do for 2015 if it comes to throwing down 30 more. Considering we haven't reaped any benefits for 2014. If they do expect 2015 Season Dues then all we did these past couple months is donate money to a kickstarter. At least here at the Forum, Dan gave an option for people to donate money to get the site rolling. I probably would have thrown a little money at Third Rail to help get them get going, but not under the guise of Supporters Group Dues.

Which by the way, if anyone feels so inclined, the money donated goes solely to maintaining the site. It's a tremendous help to NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan since he's bankrolling everything, from servers, to layouts, giveaways etc. There's no fancy scarf or t-shirt but you have the satisfaction of knowing this site is all of ours.

Honestly I don't have a problem with TR. I don't think the outreach here has been that good. No posts in the section in weeks. My only gripe.
$30 for a scarf, bar discount, commerodery and more isn't bad. It's the principle.
There's a lot that goes into organizing and keeping track of 800+ members. Plus some of the proceeds will go towards Tifo's. The team is literally depending on that group to create the majority of the noise/atmosphere.
Even if you're in a free group that TIFO money has to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
If you read the benefits , those can be done with out paying , bar discount and the travel discount are the only things that may be helpful, the rest can be done without the membership. i'll be seating in the section next to them "238" so I can still do the same stuff as them, do think they will stopme from jumping chanting and support my NY team, OUR TEAM.
None of us know what the security situation will be like at YS. If it's anything like RBA then it's quite easy to migrate to the Supporters Section. I don't see why anyone would give you a hard time if you're trying to get into the cheapest seats in the arena though. It seems like it's your loss of you are giving up your $30+ seat to go stand in General Admission.

$30 bucks is not exorbitant for SC membership, I believe that's the cost for Viking Army and Empire Supporters Club as well. As I understood it, the membership is 2014 only so apart from the scarf you don't reap the benefits this year. Personally, I look at is as a donation to further soccer culture in the US.

$30 bucks is not exorbitant for SC membership, I believe that's the cost for Viking Army and Empire Supporters Club as well. As I understood it, the membership is 2014 only so apart from the scarf you don't reap the benefits this year. Personally, I look at is as a donation to further soccer culture in the US.
I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for Viking Army. It's also what it costs for American Outlaws. They probably could have gone as high as $50 and it still would've been within a reasonable range. Anything higher would be a stretch though.

I can't speak for others in this thread, only for myself, but it's not so much the cost as it is "Do I want to be a part of a Supporters Group". Which is why BxFSC, NYCFC Social and BBSC are so enticing. Supporting without all the pomp and circumstance.

As I've said everytime a thread like this pops up-- For the 2015 season I'll be a paid member (for the exact reasons you mentioned) and I'll be standing with TR. When my daughter is of an appropriate age I'll probably go sit with the rest of the penant wavers though.

Reactions: Goodfella
One of the reasons I'm not sitting in the TR sections is I do like to watch the game. When you're in Supporters section, the expectation is your singing for 90 minutes. I'm honestly too old for that shit now LOL

One of the reasons I'm not sitting in the TR sections is I do like to watch the game. When you're in Supporters section, the expectation is your singing for 90 minutes. I'm honestly too old for that shit now LOL
I dont tjink the TR does the 90 mins thing. The TR chants when something happens

Reactions: Goodfella