Being A Paid Supporter.

At our meeting it was announced that we will have an official meeting early 2015 to go over financial'sand board review/votes etc.

Regarding membership renewals, we've heard a lot of feedback and we will take it seriously and consider different 2015 renewal options.

Each day the Third Rail grows larger and this organization has no precedent. It would be impossible for us to forecast our budget for our 2014 year without even knowing what membership numbers to expect. Therefore, there will be some delay in allocating our resources. That being said, money isn't going in anybody pocket and that is a pretty serious thing to joke about.

Feedback, negative or positive, is important as long as it is constructive. This is a non for profit organization "staffed" solely by volunteers with full time jobs. That isn't an excuse for incompetence, but it is a reminder that if there is feedback and you care about the organization, contribute constructively because we could use your help.

To give you some more feedback on the renewal issue, I'm not a season ticket holder because I'm a broke grad student and will be lucky to make it to 2 or 3 games next year. I considered joining the TR for the scarf/card/support/etc even though I won't be at the stadium as much, but not if I'm going to have to turn around and drop another $30 in January. If you made it a year from when you joined, so that a year's dues actually covered a full year I could see myself joining, but not as it stands.

Reactions: Gene
ZERO singing for the full 90 though. English style support. No drums or any other corny band instruments either.
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Haven't join anything yet, but what would be considered "English Style"? No drums but what about flags?

To give you some more feedback on the renewal issue, I'm not a season ticket holder because I'm a broke grad student and will be lucky to make it to 2 or 3 games next year. I considered joining the TR for the scarf/card/support/etc even though I won't be at the stadium as much, but not if I'm going to have to turn around and drop another $30 in January. If you made it a year from when you joined, so that a year's dues actually covered a full year I could see myself joining, but not as it stands.

Thanks for the feedback. We do realize that membership fee's are not taken for granted on most budgets.

If there is a renewal fee, we would offer options less than $30. A large part of the $30 fee covers the scarf. In the future we will aim to offer (1) membership + unique membership merch (t-shirt/scarf/bandanna) and/or (2) a reduced price without the merch.

Another thing we will consider is the renewal for 2015 for members who have purchased in 2014. All options are on the table and we will look at extensions, discounts or extra perks for 2014 charter members.

Reactions: einwindir
I joined TR immediately after hearing about it. I work full time and have a life so I'm not sure I'll make it to every game. I don't intend to sit in the supporters section, but I love the idea of having a core group to rely upon for in-game organization, road games, special events, etc. even if they only know me by face.

Let's be honest. In 2014, if you are dropping a few hundred bucks (at least) for season tickets to a soccer team, it means one of two things: 1) you have some disposable income (at least a little) and are interested in having a good time with like-minded people, or 2) you have no disposable income and you need to get your priorities straight. Seriously.

If it costs an extra $30 a year to ensure we have at least a minimum level of organization and fan support I'm all for it. It's for the good of the team and it makes the games more enjoyable for the fans. It's honestly the biggest thing missing from MLB and NFL games.

So far the TR Board seems to be very transparent and trustworthy. Obviously there are going to be hiccups and a few inconsistencies along the way, but I don't know of any "professional" supporters who do this for a living, so we rely on volunteers.

For this year, I think the scarf is more than enough reason to justify the $30 and then the 2015 season will justify another payment for 2015.

For the TR Board - a few ideas/questions:
1) Though I'm not a student, I would have no issue offering a student or "young member" discount. I remember those days and have no problem supplementing just a bit,
2) I have 2 tickets but only 1 TR membership. I think my girlfriend will come to a few games with me, and I'll bring a friend other times. Is there any thought to allowing a membership to include the member + 1 guest for events? I'd hate to have to buy a 2nd TR membership for whomever my guest to the game happens to be, and
3) Keep doing what you're doing. You're going to make this whole experience better for all of us come March 2015.

I dont tjink the TR does the 90 mins thing. The TR chants when something happens

Thank god for that. I was in Portland a few weekends ago and went to the Timbers-Sounders game. The Timbers Army just kept cycling through their chants regardless of what happened in the game. They were in the middle of a chant when the Sounders scored, and the people just kept chanting like robots. It was idiotic. Chanting non-stop does not make you a passionate fan. When the other team scores, you should groan audibly. That makes you a passionate fan. As well as discussing the game with those around you, which you can't do when you're chanting all the time.

Thanks for the feedback. We do realize that membership fee's are not taken for granted on most budgets.

If there is a renewal fee, we would offer options less than $30. A large part of the $30 fee covers the scarf. In the future we will aim to offer (1) membership + unique membership merch (t-shirt/scarf/bandanna) and/or (2) a reduced price without the merch.

Another thing we will consider is the renewal for 2015 for members who have purchased in 2014. All options are on the table and we will look at extensions, discounts or extra perks for 2014 charter members.
Thanks for the response Sam. You're doing a great job.

Thanks, does the SG leadership meet with YS, or will there be a QA or something?

I am sure the club will meet with us as we get closer to the kick-off in 2015. I believe this is a lower item on their list of priorities at the moment, but I am sure they will hand us a list of things we are not allowed to do. We'll do our best to negotiate what we can, but I honestly don't know what to expect since this is YS, not NYCFC's turf.

Thank god for that. I was in Portland a few weekends ago and went to the Timbers-Sounders game. The Timbers Army just kept cycling through their chants regardless of what happened in the game. They were in the middle of a chant when the Sounders scored, and the people just kept chanting like robots. It was idiotic. Chanting non-stop does not make you a passionate fan. When the other team scores, you should groan audibly. That makes you a passionate fan. As well as discussing the game with those around you, which you can't do when you're chanting all the time.
I sat right by the supporter's section for RBNY/Sounders last week and the very last thing anyone in that section seemed to care about was the game. We will be better!