Copa América 2024

Worth noting that the Euros have had controversies with their pitches as well.

The Copa is in some ways a dry run for the World Cup in two years, and it seems they've got some work to do on the setup to get grass in these stadiums. I did read that in one place, Arlington, TX maybe, they pulled up the artificial turf and installed a whole system with drainage tiles, sand and grass.

I am considering heading out to MetLife for Argentina vs. Chile (but only if ticket prices moderate).

I haven't been to the Meadowlands in decades. Any advice? What's the best way to get out there? train or bus? Any food options, or is it better to eat in the city before we go?

Messi and Miami pulled the same late from halftime bullshit against us in March. When the broadcast resumes from halftime our players are on the field standing in position for kickoff. The center ref is standing next to a ball sitting on the KO spot in the center of the midfield circle. There's no way to tell how long they were waiting like that, but they would not line up like that after just 12 minutes. Why did the ref even tell our guys to get ready for KO when the other team was not on the field. Miami is not even through the tunnel and does not come out for a while. Our guys should have been relaxing or loosening up but the ref is, if anything, helping Miami's mind games. They've been doing it in other MLS games, though I haven't checked every one. It's a "fuck you I'm Messi" power move and it's so bullshit that everyone just acts spineless in the face of repeated violations of simple norms of decency.

I realize that in the moment each opposing team is better off not getting worked up, but that just makes action by refs, leagues and tournament organizations more necessary. Also pathetic that no writers mention it. I can't find any stories that bring it up, not even in passing, despite Messi being the 1 guy in MLS who gets tons of press besides the in-house material. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's worth addressing and so easy to fix. Give them a yellow once and it stops.

Coming out late 1 or 2 times a season for 45 seconds is being human. Repeatedly being multiple minutes late and forcing the other team to stand on the pitch waiting for you is asshole behavior.

Fuck Messi and his fanboys. Buy my ticket for the Miami game.
I think NYCFC was often late coming out for the second half under Ronny Deila. Not sure it was as egregious as this, but I feel like I remember quite often we were coming out of the tunnel while the other team already had their XI in their spots on the field

Reactions: mgarbowski
I am considering heading out to MetLife for Argentina vs. Chile (but only if ticket prices moderate).

I haven't been to the Meadowlands in decades. Any advice? What's the best way to get out there? train or bus? Any food options, or is it better to eat in the city before we go?
Two ways, based on what i'm reading.
NJ transit: buy a ticket from NY penn to meadowlands, transfer at secaucus (most trains from penn go to secaucus, they have 'SEC' on them). They have shuttle service today NJTransit Website Twitter Title ||NJ TRANSIT

Bus: 351 from port authority. no clue how many buses, if there's room, etc. 351 Meadowlands Express – Bus Schedule | Coach USA

Take the train and eat before you go. Moynihan has several good places to eat.

Two ways, based on what i'm reading.
NJ transit: buy a ticket from NY penn to meadowlands, transfer at secaucus (most trains from penn go to secaucus, they have 'SEC' on them). They have shuttle service today NJTransit Website Twitter Title ||NJ TRANSIT

Bus: 351 from port authority. no clue how many buses, if there's room, etc. 351 Meadowlands Express – Bus Schedule | Coach USA
Dated experiences but FWIW I went to the Chile Argentina Copa final in 2016, drove, and had a shockingly easy time getting out of the stadium parking lot after the game.

In 2018 I went to a USMNT-Brazil friendly. I took the bus from port authority. They ran a special schedule for the event. The bus boarded outside on a side street, I think 41st. It was easy. I don't remember coming back at all so it must have gone smoothly but there also is a non-zero chance I took the train.

Dated experiences but FWIW I went to the Chile Argentina Copa final in 2016, drove, and had a shockingly easy time getting out of the stadium parking lot after the game.

In 2018 I went to a USMNT-Brazil friendly. I took the bus from port authority. They ran a special schedule for the event. The bus boarded outside on a side street, I think 41st. It was easy. I don't remember coming back at all so it must have gone smoothly but there also is a non-zero chance I took the train.
Yeah, 351 is the special event bus - my friend is going to take that one, but I'm worried it'll get stuck in car traffic or something, so just gonna take the train. Train also has a higher capacity, and I'm worried the bus might have long lines or something. Never done any of it myself, so... first time for everything!

Yeah, 351 is the special event bus - my friend is going to take that one, but I'm worried it'll get stuck in car traffic or something, so just gonna take the train. Train also has a higher capacity, and I'm worried the bus might have long lines or something. Never done any of it myself, so... first time for everything!
I think a concern about bus capacity and post-game chaos is why I at least considered switching to the train to come back. I just don't remember what I actually did. My other concern now is that NJ Transit has been an on and off shitshow for the last 5-6 years, including a lot recently.

Reactions: Shwafta
Thanks. Any thoughts on the best approach for tickets? I am waiting out the market to see if it drops enough to justify going.

Right now there is lots of availability, but nothing under $300/seat. My reservation price is probably $150-200/seat. I suspect that prices are going to have to come down to clear the market.

I've not been in a situation where I've been waiting out the scalpers for the prices to go down. Has anyone else? Does this tend to work? If so, what time is the optimum time to buy?

I think a concern about bus capacity and post-game chaos is why I at least considered switching to the train to come back. I just don't remember what I actually did. My other concern now is that NJ Transit has been an on and off shitshow for the last 5-6 years, including a lot recently.
yeah.... that's also part of my concern. The only positive is that almost every train stops at secaucus, and thus I can hope...

For anyone wondering: took the train. Way there was easy, packed with people. Super easy transfer at Secaucus, just follow the signs.

Way back... Game ended 10:30, I got home around 1am. 81k attendance and a huuuge amount of those were train goers. But the MetLife staff were very efficient, so it didn't feel like we were waiting long. Just lots of walking.

Thanks. Any thoughts on the best approach for tickets? I am waiting out the market to see if it drops enough to justify going.

Right now there is lots of availability, but nothing under $300/seat. My reservation price is probably $150-200/seat. I suspect that prices are going to have to come down to clear the market.

I've not been in a situation where I've been waiting out the scalpers for the prices to go down. Has anyone else? Does this tend to work? If so, what time is the optimum time to buy?
If you are really willing to wait it out and can take it or leave it, I know people who wait until day of. Sometimes they get crazy good prices from people unloading at the last minute. Sometimes they don't get tickets. Depends on how much certainty you want and by when.

Reactions: 413Blue
Well... So much for easily advancing out of the group barring any miracle results tonight and next week.

Gotta say.. even with 10 players.. I think we should have at least been able to get a point or even win it. We have the superior players.

Question is does this put GGG on the hot seat? I'm thinking no.

If we don’t make it out of the group round Berhalter should go . It will take a miracle against Uruguay now . We’ve looked terrible in the last month besides the Brazil draw and that was a friendly and they’re not the same Brazil . We look on course to embarrass ourselves in front of the world in 2 years .

Reactions: moogoo