Copa América 2024

99%?

A red is bad. A red for punching someone in the back of the head is atrocious. A red for doing so in the 15th minute ... I don't know. I'd put pretty damn near 100% on that. Down a man for 75 minutes is brutal.

no one is saying red cards aren't bad. i'm saying a team should be prepared for these situations. things happen. it's a team sport. your teammate may be fucking stupid and punch a player and get sent off, or he may pick up two very cheap yellows and get sent off, or get one cause of a poor challenge. all things happen sometimes and teams are and should be prepared to deal with it. usually that means dropping into a 4-4-1 so you can maintain your usual defensive shape. everyone has their mark and things can stay compact and organized. if your team has superior players, you should have very good odds of grinding out a result.

we went up a goal and the team/GGG didn't think to lock shit down and get to half time? GGG changed the formation and didn't make good subs. I think that made a big impact on the ability of the team to grind something out. i don't think those choices are on weah or any player who gets sent off. those are choices he would have made in preparation for potential red card. it is a team sport and red cards happen. you pull together and play.

again - weah's red for punching the guy was stupid as stupid can be. i'm just saying red cards happen and the team should have been better prepared. not being able to grind out at least a draw against a supposedly inferior opponent just shows how we aren't as good as we think they are and GGG is not the right guy.

If they played like this against Panama this game wouldn't have mattered as much.

Fantastic game so far marred by very poor refereeing..

Let's hope they can find that win somehow.

To call the Copa America the JV tournament to the Euros is disrespectful to JV teams.

From the camera angle to the referee, this is just such a bad look for soccer.

To call the Copa America the JV tournament to the Euros is disrespectful to JV teams.

From the camera angle to the referee, this is just such a bad look for soccer.
They switched to a normal camera angle. I can't understand what made them start with the other one outside of a technical issue with the normal angled camera. Like no way could a competent producer look at it and say "let's go with the satellite view", but then again, Conmebol selected this ref, so.....maybe they accidentally switched their names on the assignment sheet and they both just decided to roll with it?

The intensity of this game and the drama of the standings is making this a great soccer night

They just need a goal right now. One goal. Is that so much to ask?

Matt Turner is terrible at playing the ball with his feet. Really makes you appreciate how hard Freese and Johnson before him have worked to allow nycfc to play from the back the way we do.

Reactions: Sabo
If only comnebol could afford balls with sensors and this tournament could be held in proper stadiums with enough cameras

Matt Turner is terrible at playing the ball with his feet. Really makes you appreciate how hard Freese and Johnson before him have worked to allow nycfc to play from the back the way we do.
Yea he's a good shot stopper but he's a nervous wreck with his feet.

And with Panama scoring a 3rd its game over. It was a good fight.

everyone seems to think GGG is gonna get fired, and personally, I'd like that to happen as well. but I don't think it's gonna happen.

bring in Poch. he's free. :D

Last edited:
Crooked refereeing aside, the US offered nothing going forward in this match.

Thanks, Tim Weah. Fucking idiot.

Time to go, Gregg.

The players aren't good enough.

The coach isn't good enough.

The federation isn't good enough.

The reckoning that should have happened after Couva still hasn't happened, and nothing has changed.

The players aren't good enough.

The coach isn't good enough.

The federation isn't good enough.

The reckoning that should have happened after Couva still hasn't happened, and nothing has changed.

the players are the players. there's not much you can do about it. there are more academies in the US now than ever before. The only thing they could possibly be doing is better scouting to find kids who are falling through the cracks cause they can't afford to "pay to play". That model is what is keeping us from being a soccer power. We need more fields and a better free to play model that's supported by the federation. For now, these guys are it.

we need a better coach to get the most out of them and light a fire under their asses so they all play every game like the first 15 mins of this game vs uruguay. The inconsistency and complacency is what prevents them from doing better. They have talent but don't have the same heart, grit, and fire older generations had. Some do, but the majority do not and for a team sport... that's not good enough.

if the federation is smart, they'll get a better coach, but i have a feeling GGG isn't going anywhere and we stand to be embarrassed on home soil once again in 2026.

Melissa on Fox Soccer live reaction is giving the mgarbowski mgarbowski talk - she points out tyler adams back from injury, reyna etc. all not playing consistently and not playing at top top level thing.

"Can we really be level with the top countries in the world? I don't think so"

edit:
1719890605825.png

Melissa on Fox Soccer live reaction is giving the mgarbowski mgarbowski talk - she points out tyler adams back from injury, reyna etc. all not playing consistently and not playing at top top level thing.

"Can we really be level with the top countries in the world? I don't think so"

edit:
View attachment 13420
Smart woman.

I'm just so down on everything associated with the US team and international soccer right now.

Our federation should have thanked Berhalter for his work bringing the team back from the 2018 debacle and then not renewed his contract after the 2022 WC, which I said at the time. We are deep in second cycle malaise.
Our toxic stupid fanbase needs to STFU for one moment. Get grouped, win a tournament, lose a friendly, beat Mexico. It doesn't matter. The loudest most intense voices bitch about our coach. It's so tiresome. They are worse than the Pro/Rel people at this point.
Any thought that further alignment with CONMEBOL would fix the issues we have with CONCACAF went out the window with this tournament. It's more than just the refereeing, but damn. The officials have been catastrophically inept. Last night was complete clown shit and it seems that not a single ref in Central or South America has any concept of how to issue an early yellow to calm down and command a game and tame persistent fouling. Everyone who has ever said MLS refs are the worst in the world needs to go back to every post in every forum where they've ever written that and erase them. And apologize, both to MLS refs and to me for having to see that nonsense over and over.
This is the softest bunch of American players ever. Most couldn't buy a fucking dog.

Missed calls are missed calls. This is absolute incompetence.

View attachment 13421

The arrogance of the incompetence was also appalling. I've regularly seen MLS refs make mistakes (as we all do) with something like a restart, realize it, and then blow the whistle to stop play, sort it out to get things right. Players will object and the refs point to themselves and have the humility to acknowledge they messed up. This clown last night messed up over and over again but continued to carry himself with an attitude of combative infallibility. The yellow card was the worst example of it in that he had every chance to just blow the whistle and bring the play back to the spot of the yellow. Instead, he let it play out and then awarded a goal kick and acted like everything he had just done was perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabo and mgarbowski