Cosmos Attendance Woes

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/attendance-becoming-concern-27414/

I think this ends up helping NYCFC in the long run, because less Cosmos fans means less likely that the state spends money on their stadium, which is money the state can put towards NYCFC. I don't like seeing soccer teams struggling in the US for the good of the sport, but it's hard to sympathize with the Cosmos and their fans who made this bed for themselves.

I actually attended this game as part of a match analysis project I had to do with the NSCAA. Myself and a few of the guys around me were actually surprised when the attendance was announced as over 3,000 as it really didn't look like there was even half that amount inside the ground

I actually attended this game as part of a match analysis project I had to do with the NSCAA. Myself and a few of the guys around me were actually surprised when the attendance was announced as over 3,000 as it really didn't look like there was even half that amount inside the ground

With the World Cup bump, that's a major opportunity lost.

As I've mentioned several times previously I was a long time Cosmos season ticket holder back during the Giants Stadium days. As big a fan as I was, I find it quite difficult to drum up any sympathy for their current situation due to their douchebag fan base. Screw 'em.

Reactions: BxLio91 and DiRoma
laughter.gif

I have to admit, reading that article gave me a bit of a smirk. I remembered how the Cosmos and the borough boys basically ripped NYCFC when the our team was first announced.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I was hoping for better from the Cosmos, even though their fan base were the biggest tools in history on Bigsoccer/FB/Twitter. I do believe a good DII team, with a good youth system, could develop a couple of MLS and even National team players every generation or so. However I think from the start most of us could see this thing crashing and burning, especially once they don't get the stadium.

Question: Do you guys think that NYCFC would've have happened if the Cosmos had paid the fee in order to join MLS? Maybe it's a stupid question, but. . .

Personally I think it would be awesome if the Cosmos still joined the MLS. I mean London UK has like 20 teams. Why can't New York have three?

Soccer teams in London aren't competing against the Yankees, Mets, Giant, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils in addition to being the 5 most relevant sport in terms of tv money. And I'm not even counting college sports.

Soccer teams in London aren't competing against the Yankees, Mets, Giant, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils in addition to being the 5 most relevant sport in terms of tv money. And I'm not even counting college sports.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that.

Question: Do you guys think that NYCFC would've have happened if the Cosmos had paid the fee in order to join MLS? Maybe it's a stupid question, but. . .

Personally I think it would be awesome if the Cosmos still joined the MLS. I mean London UK has like 20 teams. Why can't New York have three?
No questions are stupid questions.

If the Cosmos were willing to put up the money, no there would be no NYCFC. From what I understand the Wilpons (Mets owners, they were the ones behind the MLS in Flushing Meadows movement) were the force behind NY2 and they were going to use the Cosmos brand to bolster their bid. The Borough Boys (Supporters Group) got behind the movement -- kinda similar to Atlanta 2017 & Terminus Legion. When the Madoff Ponzi Scheme broke the Wilpons lost a ton of money. That mixed with a healthy amount of arrogance is what ultimately led to NY2 being abandoned.

e: So to answer your question: NY2 was inevitable, often referred to as Don Garber's pet project. Whether it was through the Wilpons and the Borough Boys or City Football Group.

Personally, I'm much happier that CFG was the one to finally prevail.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinL
Not to mention that the people behind the Cosmos are a bit shady. MLS would likely require a whole new set of investors to wash them away before they entertained the Cosmos.

Not to mention that the people behind the Cosmos are a bit shady. MLS would likely require a whole new set of investors to wash them away before they entertained the Cosmos.
Considering NYCFC ownership perhaps you should be careful about throwing stones...

Reactions: XIValentin
I was hoping for better from the Cosmos, even though their fan base were the biggest tools in history on Bigsoccer/FB/Twitter. I do believe a good DII team, with a good youth system, could develop a couple of MLS and even National team players every generation or so. However I think from the start most of us could see this thing crashing and burning, especially once they don't get the stadium.

Who knows, maybe down the road Cosmos get bought out by NYC FC and used as a development team, a way to reach Long Island fans.

Reactions: Paul and Gene
Who knows, maybe down the road Cosmos get bought out by NYC FC and used as a development team, a way to reach Long Island fans.
bryanYES.gif

Priceless!

While I doubt that would ever happen, boy would I like to see the look on the Borough Boys faces when that gets announced.

Only thing better would be having the Cosmos buy out RBNY and move the team to New Jersey.

Reactions: BxLio91