Could Melbourne City's Shirt Sponsor Hint At Ours?

To be honest you could possibly argue that CFG exists only to provide suitable sponsorship opportunities for Abu Dhabi owned entities, in other words.. The chain of command within the Bani Fatima and Bani Khalifa both can claim a hold over Sheikh Mansour.

Etihad is owned by the Abu Dhabi government.. Is Sheikh Mansour part of that government? No, he ain´t, Etihad is not even counted as a related party to him in IAS24.

Sheikh Mansour is part of the federal UAE government though, but they got nothing to do with airlines.. ;)

Sorry I do not get your point, I agree with the facts you quote, but if Etihad is CFG chosen sponsor then its the chosen sponsor.... (Sorry if you were not replying directly to my post, I am not clear on what you meant)

I think Etihad is a lock and it makes a ton of sense from a business perpsective from them, they can move money around the group this way. The can pick a somewhat arbitrary number to pay NYC FC for the sponsorship, same with melbourne, makes for some creative accounting possibilities which hopefully will benefit nyc fc in the long run

Reactions: AndreT_NY
Sorry I do not get your point, I agree with the facts you quote, but if Etihad is CFG chosen sponsor then its the chosen sponsor.... (Sorry if you were not replying directly to my post, I am not clear on what you meant)

It was mainly about people assuming that Etihad was under control by Sheikh Mansour in some way.. Just because it´s from Abu Dhabi.

Reactions: MrE
All Children have an independent identity but there parents ensure that they all tow the family line.
You will have an identity in America but it will be the same within the group the world over. Look at McDonald's and subway. Some discreet local differences in the menu but same branding worldwide. Separate identity does not mean renegade
My opinion and that of others is that NYCFC will gladly take CFG's money and maybe coaching advice but everything else can be different and independent.
I think many of you forget about Chivas USA and the debacle that has become.

My opinion and that of others is that NYCFC will gladly take CFG's money and maybe coaching advice but everything else can be different and independent.
I think many of you forget about Chivas USA and the debacle that has become.

Change the record pal.
You are part of CFG, same as us, that is it. FULLSTOP.

Same as we will have to tow the group line, so will you, You ARE NYCFC, your menu will be different to that of MCFC but your branding, method of play, people you answer to etc will be the same.

Time will tell whether it is you or me that is right on this subject.

New York is one of the worlds great cities, but in footballing terms you (like us) are just another team, and right now NYCFC (who I also will support) is just another team owned by CFG.

Chivas has naff all to do with this, no one is saying you are a mini MCFC, like they were a mini Chivas, they are saying you are part of a group.

All Children have an independent identity but there parents ensure that they all tow the family line.
You will have an identity in America but it will be the same within the group the world over. Look at McDonald's and subway. Some discreet local differences in the menu but same branding worldwide. Separate identity does not mean renegade
And being one of the "children" of Man City is exactly what I don't want this club to be, you couldn't have said it any better for me. Granted, I knew what this was to begin with, I was just hoping to see a greater effort to distinguish us from our daddy in manchester (different identity in jerseys etc.) but it looks like our child support payments will be coming with strings attached.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Amen, the whole idea of being the little baby club to anyone even MC sickens me.

The relationship between Etihad, the Sheikh and CFG has been scrutinized for the past 3 years due to FFP.

Do you think they pick Etihad because it happens to be their best sponsorship opportunity or because it helps their overall portfolio? Come on guys. It's a family business!!

Reactions: Trone
At the end of the day, who the hell cares who the sponsor is. As long as it's not an evil company and the logo isn't awful, then I'm fine with whatever they pick. A little absurd that people get hot and bothered over shirt sponsors. Would it be great if it's a NYC based company? Sure! But if not, life goes on.

At the end of the day, who the hell cares who the sponsor is. As long as it's not an evil company and the logo isn't awful, then I'm fine with whatever they pick. A little absurd that people get hot and bothered over shirt sponsors. Would it be great if it's a NYC based company? Sure! But if not, life goes on.

This, 1,000 times over.

And being one of the "children" of Man City is exactly what I don't want this club to be, you couldn't have said it any better for me. Granted, I knew what this was to begin with, I was just hoping to see a greater effort to distinguish us from our daddy in manchester (different identity in jerseys etc.) but it looks like our child support payments will be coming with strings attached.

Please get it our of your heads that I am saying one of the children of Man City.
I am not.

Man City are the first (adopted) child of CFG, NYCFC are its first born

What is wrong with Etihad....

With due respect, you, like us (Man City) and every other CFG team, are just that a City Football Group Team... If the group line is Etihad, then you probably get Etihad.
You are just another club (like all clubs are) in the group, from the owners point of view, like it or not, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Man City fans are grateful to the Sheikh, he virtually rescued us. The fact he has raised us above any of our expectations he would get away with putting pretty much anything on the shirt.
New York is a new team, and you guys have hopes and expectations (that is good), but you are (at the end of the day) part of the group, and if the owner decides the value is getting the whole group sponsored by a single sponsor it is wholly his call.

Not trying to start anything, but I have to point out it is pretty funny that when it suits the Man City fans it's "Man City and every other CFG team is just that, a City Football Group Team", when normally it's Man City is our daddy and NYCFC is the bratty son. So, maybe this is a sign of progress on that issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: CP_Scouse
Reasons why Etihad is abad idea: the Middle eastern population in NY, let alone all of the US is lower than the UK.
im not middle eastern so theres no reason for me to use them. HOWEVER, if Etihad had a partnership with Jetblue, then yes i would fly jet blue more often

Reasons why Etihad is abad idea: the Middle eastern population in NY, let alone all of the US is lower than the UK.
im not middle eastern so theres no reason for me to use them. HOWEVER, if Etihad had a partnership with Jetblue, then yes i would fly jet blue more often
Actually recent estimates put the Arab/Arab-American population in the US at over 2 million. By contrast UK is estimated to have around 500k.

Generally UK and Europe aren't as diverse as you would think. The US is the great melting pot/Salad.

Off demo rant.

I'm not sure why you think you need to be Middle Eastern to fly Etihad - Middle Eastern people are only a tiny percentage of the people who fly Etihad; I think Etihad is already the major airline flying out of several major cities (including Manchester and Melbourne, for the record).

Also, about Etihad and JetBlue having a partnership:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...odeshare-pact-with-abu-dhabis-etihad/4795581/

Reactions: Kinkladze