COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

Tangentially related: I have a bike race in May that was just preemptively cancelled
F42F24F4-FB0A-45D1-A762-FB0CF6F1E7E6.jpeg

I am a big fan of Sam Harris, a noted neuroscientist, who has a podcast I subscribe to. In his latest episode, he sits down with Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, a professor at Yale University, discussing wide-ranging topics related to COVID-19. It is a lengthy episode, but if you have time, I highly suggest listening to this insightful podcast.

Just listened to this and his follow up podcast. First with a guest saying be more alarmed. Second with a guest saying be less alarmed. Both with impeccable credentials. Here's the thing. The guy saying be less alarmed is estimating that, give or take, over the next 12-18 months around 40% of Americans will be infected and 750,000 will die.

I don't even know what else to say about that.

another concern i think exists is , say you got it and recovered from it. can you get it again? and if so is it worse?

Just listened to this and his follow up podcast. First with a guest saying be more alarmed. Second with a guest saying be less alarmed. Both with impeccable credentials. Here's the thing. The guy saying be less alarmed is estimating that, give or take, over the next 12-18 months around 40% of Americans will be infected and 750,000 will die.

The most important thing right now is to flatten the curve of transmission. We’re all likely to get it, but spreading out the acquisition helps the healthcare system stay afloat. A mass spike will spiral the US towards Italy’s current conditions, and that’s disastrous considering our population size.

I’m absolutely amazed all companies haven’t enacted WFH - mine has not and I’m pissed. The less people have to travel on subways, the less incidental contact will be had. That alone will help flatten the curve.

If I remember correctly, Nicholas was quoting another epidemiologist that those figures (350K) were the lowest estimate at the time he published it and that it can and perhaps will go down as time progresses, which is why he [Nicohlas] was not overly alarmed.

Called it. They waited until after the CCL matches last night.

It had nothing to do with CCL. This was about what happened in the NBA yesterday, which has shocked every sports league into action. Today we're going to learn NHL is doing the same, and I fail to see how MLB can avoid it, either. I don't think we're going to see any professional sports get played anywhere in the country over the next 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: mgarbowski