COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

My wife was sent pictures tonight from a friend of the outside of the Cornell hospital ER - they’ve set up a negative pressure tent to do initial triage. Person said the actual ER is like a war zone with overflowing patients, all waiting for test results that take three days. They’re supposed to soon receive 12-hr tests. Place is evidently bananas with activity. And this is at the nations #1 hospital.

Thankful my daughter had her tonsil surgery last month.... elective stuff is going on hold.

They’ll cancel it after tonight’s match.
I think they do so only if ordered by authorities. Neither San Jose nor Seattle took any action until ordered to do so. Cincinnati announced they are waiting to see if the Governor issues an executive order. There are multiple reports that MLS is the league least able to afford to lose gate revenue because of the small TV contract. And there is a possibility that they will have insurance coverage for business interruption, but only if ordered to cease by civil authority. If some governmental entity orders it, NYCFC will comply. Failing that, I expect the game is played and the gates are open.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
NBA just suspended their season, seems likely NHL is about to do the same tomorrow. Frankly, if both leagues bail I think we're done in MLS, as well.
Yeah these developments alter the prediction I posted just above. I still think MLS might beg civil authorities to order it first.

Last edited:
NBA just suspended their season, seems likely NHL is about to do the same tomorrow. Frankly, if both leagues bail I think we're done in MLS, as well.

I just hope all games are scrubbed from MLS record books. I don't want NYCFC to be the only team in MLS history with 0 goals and 0 points in a season. Wooden Spoon.

Reactions: Kjbert
I just hope all games are scrubbed from MLS record books. I don't want NYCFC to be the only team in MLS history with 0 goals and 0 points in a season. Wooden Spoon.
No what’s gonna happen is we’ll have a shortened season and we’ll win mls cup, but everyone will say “asterisk” because it wasn’t a full or real season and we’ll be relentlessly mocked for eternity

Reactions: Shwafta
Anyone else thinking of not going on Saturday but afraid to trade in their tickets because the game may be cancelled in the interim and the team is such a mess administratively that the preemptive trade-in would likely preclude a refund?

At the game last nigh a guy in my section behind me was yelling at the ref and a large globule of spittle left his mouth and went directly into the guy next to me’s hard seltzer.
Two interesting observations: 1) I was apparently an asshole telling the guy to control himself, and 2) I had to shame the Gen Z guy next to me into not drinking the hard seltzer by offering to buy him a new one to stop him from doing it! He declined my offer, but spilled the drink out nonetheless.

I’m glad I didn’t use my tickets on at least two fronts last night. Guess I’ll trade in tickets for this weekend and hope President Best Brain’s administration can get their head out of their asses and people take this seriously.

Anyone else thinking of not going on Saturday but afraid to trade in their tickets because the game may be cancelled in the interim and the team is such a mess administratively that the preemptive trade-in would likely preclude a refund?
I mentioned this the other day ICW missing the game for family reasons. I'm going to wait until noon then trade in. I'd rather get a full credit than half, even if it means missing out on a refund should the game not take place ( or go forward with closed gates).

Last edited:
Reactions: moogoo and JayH
I had been planning on attending the match this Saturday while taking certain precautions for myself and my gf, but have now just made the decision to not attend. I was also planning on attending Marquette's Big East Tourney game tonight and have decided to also pass on that (they have also now announced that they are going to limit attendance to the tournament, I haven't read into how, logistically, they are going to do that).

Reactions: Schwallacus
My company has a bunch of tickets for this match, free for staff. Most are going unused, people are bailing. I myself am leaning towards not going. My wife is begging me not to, she works in health care.

In any case I still think the point is moot, I expect it to be suspended or at least spectator-free. By the city or state, if not MLS.