COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

I think the response is both too much and too little, just depends on to what degree your view is individualistic or communal.

From an individualistic perspective, this is very unlikely to hurt you in any significant way if you are under 70 years old and healthy. By that measure, we are inflicting grievous economic damage for a big nothingburger (god I have come to hate that term).

From a communal perspective, this shows the possibility of a shockingly high mortality rate among at risk populations. To the extent that low risk populations gathering (at work, school, stadiums, restaurants, etc) creates high transmission that makes it almost impossible to keep out of high risk populations (and to the extent that we care about those high risk populations), we are taking this all way too lightly.

I agree both are true. Expanding on the second part, it's super disappointing that many are taking this so lightly that they are not even doing the most basic things. I went out once yesterday and saw two different groups of 7+ people meet each other and greet with handshakes and hugs all around. The fact that people can't even be bothered to make simple changes to their behavior on the chance that it could protect the most at risk portions of the populations is really discouraging. I don't know how you handle messaging to balance between not overacting to the point that it unnecessarily cripples the economy but at the same time getting people to take this seriously enough that everyone at least does the basic things that cost them nothing but could have a massive impact on how bad this gets.

As an expectant father with a couple of elevated risk factors associated with my wife's pregnancy in May, I don't feel as though public officials are overreacting. I certainly don't want the added risks of short staffing/over-worked hospital staff.

I do believe the insatiable demand for toilet paper is outrageous though, but cancelling events is more than reasonable.

This is what really worries me, about 45 minutes from my area.
"While caring for the patients, nurses and other staff at the hospital were potentially exposed, according to the Globe’s report. Nurses wore face masks but not eye shields and gowns, as recommended for medical professionals treating COVID-19 patients.

Hospital staff who came into contact with the patients have been furloughed for 14-days, a spokesperson for the medical center said.

The Massachusetts Nurses Association, which represents nurses at Berkshire Medical, said 70 employees are quarantined. Of the 70 staff members, 54 are nurses, the newspaper reported. Two additional people have tested positive since the five patients were admitted for treatment at the hospital."

Not sure how big this hospital is, but it ain't NYC. 70 staff being furloughed has got to be a staffing crisis situation.

Last edited:
The data coming out of Italy is the most concerning, the mortality rate is higher than even China - its at about 6% right now. That is a lot more than a common cold.

Italy is also reporting statistics differently than most of the world. Asymptomatic or mild cases aren't being included in their denominator in the equation.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
I agree both are true. Expanding on the second part, it's super disappointing that many are taking this so lightly that they are not even doing the most basic things. I went out once yesterday and saw two different groups of 7+ people meet each other and greet with handshakes and hugs all around. The fact that people can't even be bothered to make simple changes to their behavior on the chance that it could protect the most at risk portions of the populations is really discouraging. I don't know how you handle messaging to balance between not overacting to the point that it unnecessarily cripples the economy but at the same time getting people to take this seriously enough that everyone at least does the basic things that cost them nothing but could have a massive impact on how bad this gets.

I see this all the time too. I think a lot of people assume it is no worse than a standard flu because a lot of media/politicians have described it as being flu-like. But some shared symptoms is where it ends. Also, as many have pointed out, most people are thinking of themselves and not necessarily about how they can become a carrier while not exhibiting symptoms.

As an expectant father with a couple of elevated risk factors associated with my wife's pregnancy in May, I don't feel as though public officials are overreacting. I certainly don't want the added risks of short staffing/over-worked hospital staff.

I do believe the insatiable demand for toilet paper is outrageous though, but cancelling events is more than reasonable.

congrats on the baby! don't blame you for being extra careful.

I am a big fan of Sam Harris, a noted neuroscientist, who has a podcast I subscribe to. In his latest episode, he sits down with Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, a professor at Yale University, discussing wide-ranging topics related to COVID-19. It is a lengthy episode, but if you have time, I highly suggest listening to this insightful podcast.

I am a big fan of Sam Harris, a noted neuroscientist, who has a podcast I subscribe to. In his latest episode, he sits down with Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, PhD, MPH, a professor at Yale University, discussing wide-ranging topics related to COVID-19. It is a lengthy episode, but if you have time, I highly suggest listening to this insightful podcast.

Me: [reads the subject of your weekly podcast - neuroscience]

Me:.........

Me: [thinks about the sports podcast I listen to]

Me: ........

Me: [realizes the divide is the width of the Grand Canyon]...... jeez you’re brainy Vallos Vallos

I have no idea what your wife’s specialty is, and what data she has access to, but the doctors on the ground in Italy are saying the exact opposite and are at their wits end with the toll it’s taking on their front line responders.

And the precautions are not so much about one individual being able to beat the illness, it’s about not putting others in jeopardy. That’s what being part of a society is all about.
I don't disagree with any of that.

The problem is there is a real lack of data - we don't know how many people have contracted the disease other than to guess that it is multiples of the official total. But, is it 3x, 10x, 30x? Nobody knows. The report my wife read suggests it is one of the larger numbers, but again it's a guess.

And the difference matters. At 3x - the death rate is 1%. At 10x, it's 0.3% at 30x, it's 0.1%, which is the same as the flu. And the ways in which authorities are addressing the issue have their own very serious effects. It's wrecking the economy for one, which has a serious human toll all its own, including mortality.

My father died of the flu 2 years ago, and I am still not completely over it. It was devastating. He was one of over 60,000 that died that year. While I think all the time about what could have been done to prevent it, if you offered me a chance to wreck the economy to bring him back, I wouldn't do it.

I don't disagree with any of that.

The problem is there is a real lack of data - we don't know how many people have contracted the disease other than to guess that it is multiples of the official total. But, is it 3x, 10x, 30x? Nobody knows. The report my wife read suggests it is one of the larger numbers, but again it's a guess.

And the difference matters. At 3x - the death rate is 1%. At 10x, it's 0.3% at 30x, it's 0.1%, which is the same as the flu. And the ways in which authorities are addressing the issue have their own very serious effects. It's wrecking the economy for one, which has a serious human toll all its own, including mortality.

My father died of the flu 2 years ago, and I am still not completely over it. It was devastating. He was one of over 60,000 that died that year. While I think all the time about what could have been done to prevent it, if you offered me a chance to wreck the economy to bring him back, I wouldn't do it.
The numbers of known cases can go up as much as you want and it won’t change the math that the hospital system(s) have a finite capacity to address this which is compounded by the fact that it’s more easily transmitted than the flu.

The economy is being wrecked for more reasons than CV-19, and the govt has fewer tools in the arsenal to combat it that they should, but I’ve been told not to make this political.

You wanna know how bad the situation really is - just look at what information is coming from our leaders & scientists. It’s terrifying to see our government has now decided that the information they see and make their decisions based on, is now being classified - the only reason for that it because they don’t want the public to know the truth & associated number, and instead want to control the dissemination. That’s very dystopian and chilling.

I can’t believe we’re still going to have fans at our games. This is lunacy

Yep. Seattle, San Jose, and San Francisco have all ended public gatherings. We have a major outbreak 10 miles away from Yankee Stadium, and we're still holding the match. It's pretty crazy. People can do what they want, but I know that I won't be attending sporting events as a fan anytime soon.

I can’t believe we’re still going to have fans at our games. This is lunacy
Because of the almighty dollar and because we do not have our own stadium.

Because of the almighty dollar and because we do not have our own stadium.

postponing wont help us because we dont have a stadium. at this rate i think we will play more games at RBA than YS