COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

We are now where Italy was about 10 days ago. If (and that is a big if) the US and specifically NY continues to follow the pattern, it’s only a matter of time before games are cancelled/played in empty stadiums.

I'm starting to wonder what the impact this is going to have on the league going forward. We're already operating on razor-thin edges keeping the league afloat. This could cause some long-term issues with league stability.

I'm starting to wonder what the impact this is going to have on the league going forward. We're already operating on razor-thin edges keeping the league afloat. This could cause some long-term issues with league stability.
This is one key reason for the league's focus on having super wealthy people behind expansion clubs. Over the long run, this has no real impact on the business of the league (assuming this does not stick around and disrupt everything for years) and no impact on the value proposition of a franchise. Almost every club has owners that can cover a $5-30m hit to cash flow without impacting their ability to operate going forward. The sponsors will still be there, the tv networks will still be there, the passion for the sport will still be there.
If we had owners who were significantly capital constrained, i'd be worried. Thankfully, the league understood that some type of economic shock was inevitable and obsessed over attracting billionaires to the league so they could handle it.

Maybe for the league ops, but SUM is the cash cow here.

What does it say about the possibility of postponing this weekend’s games?
"MLS engaged with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) [...] All of those discussions are ongoing, according to the spokesperson, and every option, including postponement, remains on the table depending on how the outbreak progresses ahead of this weekend’s full set of matches. Multiple sources also said that the league would prefer to postpone and reschedule matches rather than play them behind closed doors."

Reactions: JayH
Cuomo has started a limited zone of quarantine of public buildings in new Rochelle. Fully expect this to be the icebreaker to normalize it so that in another day+ it can be expanded and the public won’t be alarmed. Sporting events are next.

NYS/NYC is handling this correctly with the way they’re initiating protocols - constant communication with the public and visible attention. He’s also called in the national guard to check on quarantined people and make sure they have food/medicine/etc. so they aren’t idiots and break quarantine.

I bet tomorrow night is played, and Friday it’s announced the home opener is canceled or being played without spectators.

NYC cases went from 19 yesterday to 38 today. Buckle up folks, shutting everything down is coming.

I would bet tomorrow’s game is played but Saturday’s game will be postponed.

There's no way to postpone matches at Yankee Stadium (or Citi Field) unless it's moved to another stadium (i.e. Hartford). It's going to be played behind closed doors or moved date and place.

There's no way to postpone matches at Yankee Stadium (or Citi Field) unless it's moved to another stadium (i.e. Hartford). It's going to be played behind closed doors or moved date and place.

Considering New Rochelle, which is 10 miles from the stadium, has one of the larger outbreaks in the country I'd say it's fairly likely we are one of the first teams to have something impacted. Seattle, San Jose, and NYCFC are the teams in biggest danger of having something moved or changed.

NYC cases went from 19 yesterday to 38 today. Buckle up folks, shutting everything down is coming.

I would bet tomorrow’s game is played but Saturday’s game will be postponed.
Agreed. The cases will now be rolling in by factors of increase, especially because NYS is testing and verifying.

Everybody stay vigilant tomorrow if going. Would be appropriate for the team to hand out single-use hazmat suits as the entry-gate giveaway swag. At least after every goal they aren’t blasting through the loud speakers a siren......

Reactions: Jock and Kjbert
Agreed. The cases will now be rolling in by factors of increase, especially because NYS is testing and verifying.

Everybody stay vigilant tomorrow if going. Would be appropriate for the team to hand out single-use hazmat suits as the entry-gate giveaway swag. At least after every goal they aren’t blasting through the loud speakers a siren......

im 41. Just let me catch it already so i can get through my 2 weeks, build some antibodies and move on with my life.

• Wow
Reactions: Jock
im 41. Just let me catch it already so i can get through my 2 weeks, build some antibodies and move on with my life.

Heh. I thought the same but I really don't wanna have a really bad case and feel like I can't breathe. Sounds pretty miserable. But unless we lock up for months, chances are pretty good we'll get it at some point. Probably at the game tomorrow...

Is there any info on the breakdown of medical severity levels of patients in the area? It seems rather fortunate that we haven't had the death rate locally as other areas have.
Im not sure if that is because some of the positive patients may die in the coming days, the focus on this illness is causing more minor cases to be caught instead of ignored/lumped in with cold or flu, we were lucky that the local epicenter wasn't a senior center, or if possibly a weaker strain emerged in the area.
Im just curious how many are in serious condition at a hospital versus in self quarantine at home riding it out.

Is there any info on the breakdown of medical severity levels of patients in the area? It seems rather fortunate that we haven't had the death rate locally as other areas have.
Im not sure if that is because some of the positive patients may die in the coming days, the focus on this illness is causing more minor cases to be caught instead of ignored/lumped in with cold or flu, we were lucky that the local epicenter wasn't a senior center, or if possibly a weaker strain emerged in the area.
Im just curious how many are in serious condition at a hospital versus in self quarantine at home riding it out.

**This is from the wife of the attorney in New Rochelle that was in a coma. She said it wasn’t so bad for the rest of them.

Dear all,

I am speaking to you wearing two hats- as wife of Lawrence Garbuz and as partner of our law firm, Lewis and Garbuz, P.C. We would have preferred this all remain private but since it is no longer, I wanted to at least share some truths and allay people’s fears. Other than Lawrence no one else in my family has been sick other than a slight cough.

When I was first informed of the positive result, I and my entire family immediately provided any and all information to several Departments of Health well into the wee hours of the night in hopes of letting this all be contained as quickly as possible for all of us. We all together pray and hope for the safety and good health of everyone. My family has continued to provide all information requested to best assist in curtailing this epidemic.

As for my husband, while he still remains critical, I and my family remain very hopeful of his full recovery. He is a tenacious person in all aspects of his life and I know he will come out of this strong. He is a very caring hardworking person who constantly cares for his clients and those around him over himself. I think it is from this that he was run down and susceptible to the illness he acquired. So, I ask all of us who are running on the hamster wheel of life, particularly us New Yorkers, to learn from this and take a moment to take care of yourself. We should use this an opportunity to re-calibrate and de-stress. Nothing can be more important than our health.

From a young child, all Lawrence has ever wanted to be was a lawyer that worked hands on helping people. He is a brilliant attorney who is particularly sensitive to his clients but whose expertise is coming up with creative solutions to trusts and estates issues such as planning for those with disabilities, family disputes, tax issues and the like. He is admired by many judges for the same reason. He is a mentor to many in his field and spends much of his day answering colleagues’ questions. Yet, he is a very humble person who never touts his many successes in his professional world. You would never hear this from him. I only share this now as so much is being said about him already.

As for our law firm, Lewis and Garbuz, as soon as I was made aware of the diagnosis, I personally immediately contacted everyone in our firm and all were quarantined. All have been working remotely ever since. No one is commuting into the Manhattan office and no one will be until we have clearance to do so.

I would also like to take this opportunity to personally thank all of you for the outpouring of love from literally around the world and in particular members of my community who in their own way, many but not all of whom are under quarantine, are living this surreal life with us. We have wonderful friends who have cared for us despite the running fears all around us. They know who they are and we are ever grateful to them. It is my understanding that community members have been respectfully complying with health department orders to stay in. Special arrangements are being made for virtual religious services so those can remain at home as mandated.

I want to thank those who helped us get the best care possible by working their channels to get Lawrence moved to Columbia ICU where the medical care and personal sensitivity has been exemplary.

Lastly, when I first heard that Lawrence was positive, I immediately recognized there was going to be pandemonium all around us. Other than offering what I could to stop this from spreading further, all I and my family care about is that my husband/ their father get better. We shuttered the windows, turned off the internet and together stayed strong and in good spirits. I am incredibly blessed that my children while still relatively young have the wisdom to know to keep their heads clear and focus only on the important, the health of their dad and those around us.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers- I believe it is what will get us all through this trying time. I beg you all to stay calm and keep out of the hoopla. Be smart with good hygiene and know this too will pass.

Good wishes and positive thoughts for us all!

That's the big question, and not enough people have been tested to know.

Reactions: Kjbert

14 currently hospitalized in NY State.

It's interesting that Cuomo and deblasio are preaching different things. Cuomo seems to be treating this seriously and deblasio isnt. You'd think they get their stories straight and be on the same page

Reactions: 413Blue
14 currently hospitalized in NY State.

It's interesting that Cuomo and deblasio are preaching different things. Cuomo seems to be treating this seriously and deblasio isnt. You'd think they get their stories straight and be on the same page
It's a delicate balance between raising the necessary alarms while not inciting panic or overreaction from the public.

Reactions: Kjbert
I’m not aware of an area breakdown, but this article compares severity/death by age compared to the flu. The main point is that even as a deadlier virus for the elderly, it’s people’s underlying conditions that can hurt the younger ages. Asthma, diabetes are prevalent through all ages and cardiovascular problems affect all segments of society. And the biggest effect of the virus is on the lungs, so those three health problems will leave a huge segment exposed.

Reactions: Vallos and Kjbert