COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

Area breakdown as well as all the news pertaining to NY. But no details about who is hospitalized or demographics of those infected. (At least not at first glance)

Reactions: Kjbert

NYCFC Fans,

As you have seen in the news, there is a growing concern about the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

The safety of our fans, players and staff is our number one priority. NYCFC and Major League Soccer leadership have set up working groups to ensure all appropriate action and precautions are taken. We are monitoring this rapidly changing situation closely and will continue to follow the advice of our city, state, and federal agency partners.

As of now, and with the guidance of Concacaf and MLS, matches scheduled for this week will continue as planned – including tomorrow’s Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League match at Red Bull Arena and Saturday’s Home Opener at Yankee Stadium.

We have been in close contact with both Red Bull Arena and Yankee Stadium and understand both venues are committed to undergoing all precautions recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

As a Club, we have decided to postpone the Pep Rally at Billy’s Sports Bar that was scheduled for Friday, March 13.

Heading into our Home Opener, we want all fans to be informed on the following recommendations from the CDC to slow the spread of germs.

In order to keep yourself and fellow NYCFC fans healthy, please be sure to adhere to everyday preventative actions advised by the CDC and New York state government:
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Please stay at home if you are unwell or believe you’ve come into close contact with someone who appears to be unwell. Further advice and updates can be found here.

We will provide further updates as they are made available. We greatly appreciate your cooperation as we work together to protect the health and safety of all our fans, players and staff.

NYCFC

This email was sent by:
New York City FC,
600 Third Avenue,
New York, NY 10016 United States

Forward | Manage Preferences or Unsubscribe | View in Browser

Under the circumstances, it would be a nice gesture for the team to modify the rules for trading in tickets, including eliminating the 48 hour penalty and increasing the 8 game limit.
Your trade-in gesture should be automatic from the club. It’s a no-brainer. But at what point is trading in an exercise in lost returns - how many tix can we realistically use once saved up?

They really should be weighing the possibility of refunds. This is just the tip of the iceberg in NYC. Even if it doesn’t hit like a tsunami all at once (which it definitely won’t), it’s gonna play out over a much longer period of time in a city our size as it moves through groups gaining traction. And at some point the teams’ players/office staff will be affected/infected so postponement will happen (as opposed to simply playing behind closed doors), but we’re in such a pickle with no stadium rights that there are only so many options for rearranging the calendar that we’ll be jammed up.

Our FO is soon gonna be in a crisis with some big decisions to make.

Under the circumstances, it would be a nice gesture for the team to modify the rules for trading in tickets, including eliminating the 48 hour penalty and increasing the 8 game limit.
I will now have to miss theSaturday game for the funeral of my wife’s aunt. Trading in should be a no-brainier, but I’m waiting because I can’t just assume that they’ll unwind my trade-in if they have to cancel the game or play empty. So I’m waiting until the last possible moment and will cancel Thursday morning. If there were trust this would be easier.

Man City vs Arsenal for Wednesday night just got postponed. A number of their players and staff were in "close contact" with the someone who tested positive and they're all in home quarantine now.

damn I was planning to watch since Wednesday is my day off. Already talk Serie A might not finish the season just go with the table as is.

Reactions: Kjbert
I will now have to miss theSaturday game for the funeral of my wife’s aunt. Trading in should be a no-brainier, but I’m waiting because I can’t just assume that they’ll unwind my trade-in if they have to cancel the game or play empty. So I’m waiting until the last possible moment and will cancel Thursday morning. If there were trust this would be easier.

sorry for your loss

My house in on the dotted line of the... CONTAINMENT ZONE!!!!
I am on the map, but out of the circle.

My wife, the good Mrs. Dr. Gator (a physician) is strongly of the opinion that this is much to do about nothing - or at least about very little. She was showing me a study out of Germany of 9 patients who had tested positive. 7 of the 9 had only upper respiratory symptoms - i.e. a cold. 2 of the 9 had upper respiratory and only very minor lower respiratory symptoms (i.e. the lungs) and nothing serious. The point of the article is that the definition of COVID-19 as something that is a lower respiratory infection needs revision.

Ultimately, you have experts saying all kinds of conflicting things. Ultimately, there is just a lot of ignorance because this is new and because we can't test everyone we need to. Nobody really knows, but the weight of the evidence is that for the vast majority of people, this is not a big deal. For a small minority, however, it can be very serious.

Public officials are doing what they do, which is to take the worst case and plan for that. The problem is that the treatment may be worse than the disease. My wife said "they are wrecking the economy over a common cold." I think that's a bit dramatic, but they may be wrecking the economy over the flu, and even if it's a particularly damaging form of the flu, it's worth asking if this is the right response.

My wife, the good Mrs. Dr. Gator (a physician) is strongly of the opinion that this is much to do about nothing - or at least about very little. She was showing me a study out of Germany of 9 patients who had tested positive. 7 of the 9 had only upper respiratory symptoms - i.e. a cold. 2 of the 9 had upper respiratory and only very minor lower respiratory symptoms (i.e. the lungs) and nothing serious. The point of the article is that the definition of COVID-19 as something that is a lower respiratory infection needs revision.

Ultimately, you have experts saying all kinds of conflicting things. Ultimately, there is just a lot of ignorance because this is new and because we can't test everyone we need to. Nobody really knows, but the weight of the evidence is that for the vast majority of people, this is not a big deal. For a small minority, however, it can be very serious.

Public officials are doing what they do, which is to take the worst case and plan for that. The problem is that the treatment may be worse than the disease. My wife said "they are wrecking the economy over a common cold." I think that's a bit dramatic, but they may be wrecking the economy over the flu, and even if it's a particularly damaging form of the flu, it's worth asking if this is the right response.
Honestly I think everyone is way over-freaking out. Hopefully it will get people to be more hygienic on a regular-basis, though I doubt that.

true but we still learning about this. While i personally dont think id be in that percentage fighting for their life, i dont want my parents getting it when i visit them every other week ( in their 60's) of course i can wait a month or so. but who really knows how long someone that has it (with or with out symptoms) is still able to infect someone.

Last edited:

I didn't realize you were so close.

New Rochelle as an epicenter is a bit of a fakeout -- the spread was quick and largely limited to the Orthodox community. It's a close-knit community! But that very fact is why I think it won't spread much from here. They shut down 3 schools (including a 3500-student HS) despite zero positive tests of students or staff. There is no overlap between kids that attend the synagogue and those schools. The Superintendent wanted to keep the schools open, but Gov Cuomo swooped in from Albany and demanded they be shut. Mostly, I think, to appear to be proactive.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I didn't realize you were so close.

New Rochelle as an epicenter is a bit of a fakeout -- the spread was quick and largely limited to the Orthodox community. It's a close-knit community! But that very fact is why I think it won't spread much from here. They shut down 3 schools (including a 3500-student HS) despite zero positive tests of students or staff. There is no overlap between kids that attend the synagogue and those schools. The Superintendent wanted to keep the schools open, but Gov Cuomo swooped in from Albany and demanded they be shut. Mostly, I think, to appear to be proactive.

closing schools is a double edged sword in a way. yea it helps to prevent the spread but it puts a lot of strain on people who have no childcare otherwise. having to take off work or simply not get paid. easy to close the schools but it's a lot more difficult to compensate all the people who don't have paid vacation/leave to take care of their kids.

I have no idea what your wife’s specialty is, and what data she has access to, but the doctors on the ground in Italy are saying the exact opposite and are at their wits end with the toll it’s taking on their front line responders.

And the precautions are not so much about one individual being able to beat the illness, it’s about not putting others in jeopardy. That’s what being part of a society is all about.

I have no idea what your wife’s specialty is, and what data she has access to, but the doctors on the ground in Italy are saying the exact opposite and are at their wits end with the toll it’s taking on their front line responders.

And the precautions are not so much about one individual being able to beat the illness, it’s about not putting others in jeopardy. That’s what being part of a society is all about.

yea - my main concern is exposing my parents and grand parents. luckily, they don't live with me and are well enough that i don't NEED to visit them on a regular basis. Just gotta hope everyone comes together during this time to help each other out by doing their part. Sadly, there will always be some who just don't give a frack.

The data coming out of Italy is the most concerning, the mortality rate is higher than even China - its at about 6% right now. That is a lot more than a common cold.

The data coming out of Italy is the most concerning, the mortality rate is higher than even China - its at about 6% right now. That is a lot more than a common cold.

And part of the reason the mortality rate is so high is the medical system is completely overwhelmed. That's what we're trying to avoid here -- if we don't take mitigation steps, our medical system will be overwhelmed and deaths will swell.

Public officials are doing what they do, which is to take the worst case and plan for that. The problem is that the treatment may be worse than the disease.
Honestly I think everyone is way over-freaking out.
I think the response is both too much and too little, just depends on to what degree your view is individualistic or communal.

From an individualistic perspective, this is very unlikely to hurt you in any significant way if you are under 70 years old and healthy. By that measure, we are inflicting grievous economic damage for a big nothingburger (god I have come to hate that term).

From a communal perspective, this shows the possibility of a shockingly high mortality rate among at risk populations. To the extent that low risk populations gathering (at work, school, stadiums, restaurants, etc) creates high transmission that makes it almost impossible to keep out of high risk populations (and to the extent that we care about those high risk populations), we are taking this all way too lightly.

Italy also has very good medical facilities and staff, and yet they’re nearing the breaking point. This is no joke when overlayed against the US medical system (hospitals) that functions at capacity as a matter of day-to-day operations/funding. A long-duration fight will challenge the constitution of the medical staff not just from a science perspective, but also the psychological toll on them of non-stop “shifts”, separation from family, and the reality of mortality rates they’ll see with those bad enough to require hospitalization.