Dallas - Postmatch

Losing him easily changed the game. Rocha and Miller are just horrible and it was almost immediately after we lost Tinny we lost 90% of our offensive presence. Mitri, Maxi, and Taty barely saw the ball from that point forward. I'm honestly surprised Dallas didn't go down our left side in attack more often. I guess there offensive buildup goes solely through Barrios, as it seemed he was constantly being fed the ball even when he had minimal to no space to do anything with it.

Shout out to Miller for managing to meg himself while trying to tackle Barrios and somehow not giving up a PK.

Hoping Tinny's okay and will be back soon. Solid head to head contact there unfortunately. With the injury though and Dome hopefully seeing that Miller is inept in defense for us, I'm hoping this is the chance Scally gets for some minutes. Won't happen, but a Forumite can dream.

they didn't have to focus on our right side because our left side was just as leaky with Mata being tired. he wasn't covering any space and Barrios was left wide open every single time they looked for him on that side. Add to that Callens was constantly cheating and within 4 feet of Mata to try to cover and forgetting about any runners going behind. defensively, we were a total mess on both sides.

we were tired and worn out. physically and mentally (yea, heat gets to you mentally too) just not there. i just hope we have enough time to recover and play a decent game on wednesday. it's supposed to cool down into the mid-70s on wed, thank god. my worry is how tinnerholm and parks are. even if we have to sit them a game or two, i'm ok with that. looks like with philly's loss last night, we just need a WIN and a TIE in whatever combination (if i'm reading the scenarios in the other thread correctly) and we lock down #1.

of course i wanna beat ATL though... cause.. F THEM.

I missed that play. What happened?
It was the last Dallas corner. It bounced off a Dallas player right into the arm of one of our guys. It was bang bang and the arm was close to flush against his side, though it was hard to tell how close with the only look that we saw . Under the new laws there is still some allowance for ball to hand and not making yourself bigger, but both of those defense are tightened.

Elfath didn't look at the video himself but briefly held up play while the VAR looked and told him to play on.

It was comical how open Barrios was the entire night, Dallas just kept dumping him the ball over and over again. Reminded me of how Tinnerholm was against NE for the 20+ minutes after the red card before Bruce switched it up.

It’s a miracle that this never amounted to anything. Actually NYC is lucky this was not a 2-1 loss with the Miller “penalty” and the hand ball. Those are called in Atlanta.

Losing him easily changed the game. Rocha and Miller are just horrible and it was almost immediately after we lost Tinny we lost 90% of our offensive presence. Mitri, Maxi, and Taty barely saw the ball from that point forward. I'm honestly surprised Dallas didn't go down our left side in attack more often. I guess there offensive buildup goes solely through Barrios, as it seemed he was constantly being fed the ball even when he had minimal to no space to do anything with it.

Shout out to Miller for managing to meg himself while trying to tackle Barrios and somehow not giving up a PK.

Hoping Tinny's okay and will be back soon. Solid head to head contact there unfortunately. With the injury though and Dome hopefully seeing that Miller is inept in defense for us, I'm hoping this is the chance Scally gets for some minutes. Won't happen, but a Forumite can dream.

I would be more merciful to Rocha, since he's been generally much better than expected. Miller is truly horrible, probably the worst player we've fielded recently, close to the level of RJ Allen or the infamous ponytail man Stertzer

I would be more merciful to Rocha, since he's been generally much better than expected. Miller is truly horrible, probably the worst player we've fielded recently, close to the level of RJ Allen or the infamous ponytail man Stertzer

Rocha has been good when placed in the midfield. he's even been great at times, breaking up plays and playing his role to the best of his ability. but he's simply not a left wing back and i'll give him some credit with that. he doesn't have the speed or mindset to play in that position. shame scally wasn't on the bench.

Reactions: Shwafta
On Twitter, I called this "suicide by 3-4-3".

We (and most teams I would gather) tend to end up pushed back, undermanned in midfield and consequentially take a lot of pressure in 3 ATB systems when wingbacks can't push up high. Losing Tinny severely handicapped us in this regard, but it seems the introduction of Pomykal / a defensive adjustment from Dallas in the second half (according to The Outfield Slack :p), and perhaps the heat and tiredness meant that sticking to the 3-4-3 in the second half doomed us to fail IMO.

Rocha looked the worst he's been for a long time. Miller looked like a defensive catastrophe waiting to happen any time the ball went near him. Ring made an embarrassing mistake. But I would put this on Dome, and this takes nothing away from the incredible foundational work he's put into our team. But what's the point of being able to play well in different systems if we don't change systems when it seems obvious that we need to?

From what I could tell, we were crying out for a change from the very first few minutes of the second half. Moving Rocha into midfield, pushing Miller into RWB and dropping Ring into the 3 CB line was not the move I would have made. You could even argue it led directly to Dallas's goal. I would have loved to see us go 4-3-3 and control the ball in order to conserve our legs. Especially with Miller as a stay at home RB without any real willingness to push up the wing as he needs to in a 3-4-3, and with Mata likely gassed.

Miller - Chanot - Callens - Mata
Keaton - Ring - Maxi
Shradi - Taty - Mitri

On Twitter, I called this "suicide by 3-4-3".

We (and most teams I would gather) tend to end up pushed back, undermanned in midfield and consequentially take a lot of pressure in 3 ATB systems when wingbacks can't push up high. Losing Tinny severely handicapped us in this regard, but it seems the introduction of Pomykal / a defensive adjustment from Dallas in the second half (according to The Outfield Slack :p), and perhaps the heat and tiredness meant that sticking to the 3-4-3 in the second half doomed us to fail IMO.

Rocha looked the worst he's been for a long time. Miller looked like a defensive catastrophe waiting to happen any time the ball went near him. Ring made an embarrassing mistake. But I would put this on Dome, and this takes nothing away from the incredible foundational work he's put into our team. But what's the point of being able to play well in different systems if we don't change systems when it seems obvious that we need to?

From what I could tell, we were crying out for a change from the very first few minutes of the second half. Moving Rocha into midfield, pushing Miller into RWB and dropping Ring into the 3 CB line was not the move I would have made. You could even argue it led directly to Dallas's goal. I would have loved to see us go 4-3-3 and control the ball in order to conserve our legs. Especially with Miller as a stay at home RB without any real willingness to push up the wing as he needs to in a 3-4-3, and with Mata likely gassed.

Miller - Chanot - Callens - Mata
Keaton - Ring - Maxi
Shradi - Taty - Mitri

Yeah when Tinnerholm went down I assumed he'd bring on Ibeagha and switch to a 4-3-3, since Miller really don't have the skill-set to be a wingback. That was a surprise when Rocha came on, since obviously he can't do it either.

Tinnerholm isn't one of our very best players, but he's one of our most important because of the lack of depth behind him. Hope he's not down for too long, though concussions are scary and unpredictable. He looked really out of it on the field when he finally went down.

Yeah when Tinnerholm went down I assumed he'd bring on Ibeagha and switch to a 4-3-3, since Miller really don't have the skill-set to be a wingback. That was a surprise when Rocha came on, since obviously he can't do it either.

Tinnerholm isn't one of our very best players, but he's one of our most important because of the lack of depth behind him. Hope he's not down for too long, though concussions are scary and unpredictable. He looked really out of it on the field when he finally went down.
With bringing on Ibeagha, would you then be moving Callens to LB and Mata to LW?

With bringing on Ibeagha, would you then be moving Callens to LB and Mata to LW?

Miller to RB in that scenario. The backline would have been Mata-Chanot-Callens-Miller.

I think that would have given Miller less of an offensive responsibility. Instead he brought on Rocha, who also isn't the answer in that spot.

No good answers when Tinnerholm goes down, only options that are maybe slightly less bad.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Miller to RB in that scenario. The backline would have been Mata-Chanot-Callens-Miller.

I think that would have given Miller less of an offensive responsibility. Instead he brought on Rocha, who also isn't the answer in that spot.

No good answers when Tinnerholm goes down, only options that are maybe slightly less bad.
Then where is Ibeagha playing? You mentioned bringing him on for Tinny.

Then where is Ibeagha playing? You mentioned bringing him on for Tinny.

You're right -- I screwed that up. He could have put Ibeagha as part of a 3-4-3 and slid Miller out wide, though that doesn't solve the problem of Miller not being good enough as a wingback.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
When Tinny goes down we're in trouble. If Scally is still recovering and also Domè doesn't think he's ready, do you guys think we should loan him to USL next year so he gets play time so he doesn't sit on the bench with the first team? To prepare him for minutes when Tinny is not available in the future. Because I believe getting him minutes is more useful to us than a guy like Miller who is pretty much a finished product.

I can't remember if I said this in here but after having seen Miller a couple of times, and with Scally off the injury report, anyone else ready to see what the kid can do?

When Tinny goes down we're in trouble. If Scally is still recovering and also Domè doesn't think he's ready, do you guys think we should loan him to USL next year so he gets play time so he doesn't sit on the bench with the first team? To prepare him for minutes when Tinny is not available in the future. Because I believe getting him minutes is more useful to us than a guy like Miller who is pretty much a finished product.

It really depends how much credit Dome gives him. Sands never got loaned off and he's become one of our best CBs and a key member of our back line. His injuries this season have hampered him being rookie of the year.

Miller isn't anything special except a large body but against a quick forward, that doesn't mean anything when he's getting megged and burned. I'd keep him on the first team and let him learn and build chemistry with our guys. Sending him off to a USL side that doesn't play our style wouldn't be good for him on his return. I'd like to see what he can do. Trial by fire and throw him in if Anton is out. Can't be any worse than Miller, can he? I feel like he's probably better than Miller - otherwise he wouldn't be a professional at such a young age.

It really depends how much credit Dome gives him. Sands never got loaned off and he's become one of our best CBs and a key member of our back line. His injuries this season have hampered him being rookie of the year.

Miller isn't anything special except a large body but against a quick forward, that doesn't mean anything when he's getting megged and burned. I'd keep him on the first team and let him learn and build chemistry with our guys. Sending him off to a USL side that doesn't play our style wouldn't be good for him on his return. I'd like to see what he can do. Trial by fire and throw him in if Anton is out. Can't be any worse than Miller, can he? I feel like he's probably better than Miller - otherwise he wouldn't be a professional at such a young age.
Sands did go on loan to Louisville :p https://www.nycfc.com/post/2018/08/15/new-york-city-fc-loan-james-sands-louisville-city-fc

And because he got minutes in 2017 vs. Colorado, Sands cannot be a rookie candidate.

Reactions: JohnB and moogoo
You can't learn to swim unless you jump into water, but Scally is only 16 years old. It is always a bit risky to put a heavy responsibility on such young shoulders, but then I have no idea about Scally's mental strength. He might be hard as nails, or lose all his self-confidence, depending on things. From the very little I've seen, Miller doesn't exactly spread confidence on other players or the spectators, and I still wonder if there wasn't anyone better available when he was signed. Scally might be a success if picked ahead of Miller, but the stakes are pretty high, too.