DC United Postmatch

My thoughts:

- Obviously three points on the road against an Eastern team is huge given how we started at home. It was also nice to show that we can play sensibly on the road on the bigger pitch.

- Overall a pretty solid performance, and a good example of a match that we played pretty well in and got some of the breaks (thanks Alvaro Saborio), which wasn't happening earlier. Unlike Montreal where we absolutely stifled them offensively, this one could have gone in the other direction in the first 30 mins without some good fortune.

- DC was beyond terrible. I've seen them look better this year, but that was a really poor performance.

- Still uncertain on the Mikey Lopez experiment. I'm warming to his ability to run around and press, and it has correlated with good overall team performances (though whether it is actually causing them remains up in the air for me). But, his on the ball skills are so limited and we are losing offensive opportunities when the ball is played to him. I find it borderline painful to watch.

- I think we got a huge break a few weeks back when White got scratched before the match and Brillant came in. He always was, and has been, our best CB in my opinion, but that horrific opener in Chicago and the messing around with three at the back early meant it was as slow start for him.

- Anyone else notice that Mullins hasn't even been on the bench for the past three matches? I find that surprising given that Vieira is carrying both Mendoza and Taylor and I would have thought Vieira would at least want the optionality of Mullins.

- I really liked how we "saw the match out" once going up 2-0. Possession stats really switched in DC's favor at that point if you look at the five minute intervals graph, but we gave up very few chances. Smart performance.

- I'm worried about the lack of cover for Bravo going into Portland, but if you assume a suspension was always coming, good timing I suppose. He presumably gets to skip a cross country flight and then is back for Toronto and New Jersey.

- The Khiry Shelton goal was such the embodiment of the Khiry experience. But he's the only guy on the team who gets that goal for us in all likelihood and I love that he attached the ball so aggressively even if he kind of missed it. Better yet is his recent ability to drive it and then take the ball outside and get a cross in, which has led to two goals in the past three matches. The crosses have been somewhat weak but very accurate.
I'm beginning to think that the idea for Lopez is simply to run around and annoy the crap out of the other team like a wasp and if he gets a shot it's bonus.... Well, he should have buried his header early on - do that and he could have checked off all of "to do" list items for the match. When a guy like him only gets 1 great look a game, he's got to burry it - that's now two open headers he's missed this year - either the gel in his hair must've redirected the shot, or he's taking his eye of the ball before contact.

What do you guys think about playing Iraola in CDM for the suspended Bravo?
The Iraola optimist in me (which is nearly dead, but maybe not quite) thinks of how Phillip Lahm sometimes plays there and gets excited. Obviously I'm not saying he is that good, but this is MLS, not the Bundesliga and there are parallels. But, the realist in me says we need someone who can run people over because, unlike Bayern or Germany, we aren't likely to dictate the entirety of that match.

Not too big a fan of this. Iraola lacks pace and the strength to be a holding middie. I honestly haven't enjoyed seeing him on defense, as for every great cross he has, he seems to get burned or is found out of position 20x more.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I agree he wouldn't be the perfect fit, but I really don't want to play Lopez there. It's an interesting predicament. I'm almost inclined to say scrap the CDM and give Pirlo a rest. Go Mix/Poku/TMac and put TT back on the wing.

That being said, if Iraola is a backup rightback and can't play CDM, then he's too expensive to be here.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
I agree he wouldn't be the perfect fit, but I really don't want to play Lopez there. It's an interesting predicament. I'm almost inclined to say scrap the CDM and give Pirlo a rest. Go Mix/Poku/TMac and put TT back on the wing.

That being said, if Iraola is a backup rightback and can't play CDM, then he's too expensive to be here.
Don't move TMac, he seems to be the one player Villa is starting to trust - there may finally be some chemistry up top.

I'm beginning to think that the idea for Lopez is simply to run around and annoy the crap out of the other team like a wasp and if he gets a shot it's bonus.... Well, he should have buried his header early on - do that and he could have checked off all of "to do" list items for the match. When a guy like him only gets 1 great look a game, he's got to burry it - that's now two open headers he's missed this year - either the gel in his hair must've redirected the shot, or he's taking his eye of the ball before contact.
I actually thought Lopez did a decent job at trying to direct that one on goal. It was a tough angle from where he was. That one against Toronto on the other hand........

-Khiry is a mess but his size and natural ability make him a force. He could be REALLY good in two years.

-Allen and Bravo had some horrific first touches.

-the single biggest headscratcher on this team is Lopez starting and Mix getting sores on his ass from sitting so long

Reactions: Christopher Jee
-Khiry is a mess but his size and natural ability make him a force. He could be REALLY good in two years.

-Allen and Bravo had some horrific first touches.

-the single biggest headscratcher on this team is Lopez starting and Mix getting sores on his ass from sitting so long
Coming off a sprained ankle, not surprised Allen had bad first touches. He looked like he was in pain while running and probably was gutting it out all game. Another few weeks of rehab between matches and he'll hopefully be back to normal.

Do you think he would have been better off staying on his line for that? Or are you thinking he should have been out earlier (my bias)? Nearest defender was at least a couple of strides away.
Thought it was just slow decision making. Have to decide to retreat or come out and do that. Not get caught in indecision.

I don't have anything to report that hasn't been already commented on. But my first time inside RFK: to say that it's "a 53-year-old structure beyond repair" is an understatement, for sure
I'm waiting for a mass-casually accident from the fans bouncing on the stands that makes them move a good 3" - I can't believe they haven't collapsed yet! Ten years ago I was at a game there and thought they were dangerous as beer was flying from cups and you had to be aware of your balance. Ten years is also plenty of time for bolts/nuts to loosen....

Visiting RFK Stadium is like walking into visiting a Thai brothel with no protection ... you're bound to catch something.
you can visit, but if you catch something, that's on you!

Reactions: Kjbert
Anybody notice that TMac ended up on his behind while dishing out both of his assists?

Nothing screams out "Tommy Mac" more than ending up on your rear but yet still getting the ball where it should go. Legend.

I want Mix, but someone upthread mentioned Mehdi and I could see that happening. Has Mehdi made the 18 recently? I confess I often don't notice who's available until twitter starts complaining about someone or other not being there.

Reactions: Kjbert
I want Mix, but someone upthread mentioned Mehdi and I could see that happening. Has Mehdi made the 18 recently? I confess I often don't notice who's available until twitter starts complaining about someone or other not being there.
It was me, and he made it last game.

Reactions: Kjbert and joe
Anyone else see the camera cut to Mikey sniffing what appeared to be smelling salt packets just before kick off while PV was trying to give him instructions? I just imagined:

PV: Mikey don't get a yellow card, play under control
Mikey: Sure thing coach let me sniff these things so I can get really fired up. I call these packets my yellow card magic. What were you just saying? I forgot already.

Lopez is a popular discussion topic, so I'll throw out his stats per WhoScored:
  • Dispossessed six times. Lost ball four times due to bad control of a pass.
  • Zero tackles. One interception.
  • Zero key passes. Zero dribbles. Zero fouls. Zero fouls drawn.
  • 81.8% passing rate (4th among starters).
He earned by far the worst game score of our starters.

If Vieira doesn't think Mix is a solution at CM, I don't think Lopez is either. I wonder if we slide TMac back to the middle once Harrison is capable of playing 60+ minutes.

For all our "depth" at CM, sure seems like we are running out of players who haven't had a chance to win a starting job and failed.