Don Garber's State Of The League - Discussion Thread

I have it on the laptop right now. Of course, as usual, these things never seem to get started on time. :rolleyes:

Five minutes late isn't so bad. ;)

I'm interested in what he has to say, but in all honestly we should realize these puff pieces aren't going to reveal anything earth shattering. I'm going to tweet him and ask if MLS is keeping an eye on Lampard situation and how are they going to handle things.

Reactions: einwindir
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like he's hell bent on getting that team in Miami to stroke Univision. Makes good business sense, I guess.

Last edited:
??????? He just said NYCFC has 20K season tickets sold?????
Lost my reception..if someone can periodically update that would be awesome.

Sounds like the Bx stadium deal has been axed though. That's good for some of us!

Lost my reception..if someone can periodically update that would be awesome.

Sounds like the Bx stadium deal has been axed though. That's good for some of us!
As I mentioned, this is really softball material being tossed around. However he did admit the whole Chivas thing was a mistake and MLS made sure things were in place to assure it was a mistake that would not be repeated with MCFC/NYCFC.

Also said it's nonsense that Red Bull is looking to get out. Has no idea how that ever got started.

Just subtly pissed on Nassau County.

As I mentioned, this is really softball material being tossed around. However he did admit the whole Chivas thing was a mistake and MLS made sure things were in place to assure it was a mistake that would not be repeated with MCFC/NYCFC.

Also said it's nonsense that Red Bull is looking to get out. Has no idea how that ever got started.

Nassau County has been pissing on itself for years

Reactions: Kjbert

Ah, see you missed the re-direct. Garber said I don't know about those reports and then talked about how much money RB has put into MLS. Of course, no one doubts that. The question is course is how much money RB will put into MLS. Garber didn't address that as much.

Worth noting that the SI guys have been pretty spot on when it comes to soccer reporting.

I'm not good at multi-tasking, so there's probably a helluva lot more I missed.......listening to Garber, typing and watching United v Stoke City had my attention span divided.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like he's hell bent on getting that team in Miami to stroke Univision. Makes good business sense, I guess.

I havent seen the video but lol if thats the case then seems a bit desperate. Univision has no more rights to the world cup till at least 2026 who knows how much money or interest they would really have.

If your going to try to Miami do it for other reasons not for Univision.

He sounds like such a douche constantly trying to make it seem like MLS is on par with other leagues, like trumping up the All star game win, and saying Robbie Keane and Clint Dempsey came here in their prime. Its not a smear, just say we are improving, not that we are great, no one realizes it yet.

And stop comparing yourself to other leagues. He said NFL, NBA don't have to deal with international breaks, etc. Sounds like whining. every other league deals with it and you look low rent scheduling tournaments when intl breaks are going on.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
The point about Univision is their main US headquarters is located in Miami. He went on to stress how huge Univision is to MLS, because they're an important link and they unite the league to the huge Hispanic population in the US.

Thus putting/getting a team in Miami is throwing the network a huge bone to keep them happy and interested in MLS. That was my take anyway.

Reactions: Paul and einwindir