Dp Contracts

joe

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 18, 2015
I think those are all consistent with the best info we have. I would just add a caveat that I don't believe any of these are based on official info from MLS, or the union. At best they are from on-the-record but otherwise unconfirmed statements by the players himself, or an agent, etc. And sometimes people, misspeak.
PS: I love the bit in the Villa story where the reporter says "It’s also unclear why NYCFC’s other big-name signing, English midfielder Frank Lampard, isn’t listed on the MLSPU rolls." The reporter was sniffing at the edges of a big story, but had no idea what it was and had no real avenues to follow up, because that's how MLS rolls.

PS: I love the bit in the Villa story where the reporter says "It’s also unclear why NYCFC’s other big-name signing, English midfielder Frank Lampard, isn’t listed on the MLSPU rolls." The reporter was sniffing at the edges of a big story, but had no idea what it was and had no real avenues to follow up, because that's how MLS rolls.
Glossed over this when compiling the sources. Too funny.

Given these three DPs, I think this is actually the ideal contractual situation.

Lampard was effective in extremely limited minutes last season, but obviously rusty and out of shape. He now gets a proper offseason and preseason, and we hopefully squeeze a year out of him before his breaks down. 37 games to win over the remaining hearts and minds.

Pirlo can easily do Pirlo things for the next two years, and ideally spends his time mentoring Mix. He then retires and founds the best winery in the state.

Villa gets two more years to pad his franchise records in various offensive categories. Recent form and fitness suggest this won't be a problem.

Villa is the only one I would even consider renewing at this point, but it's far enough away I'm not going to try to figure out what combination of pay cuts and GAM/TAM would make that a good idea (or even legal under Garber rules).

Going forward, hopefully at least 2 out of 3 DPs at any given time are young guys.

I'd be happy with that. Frank is Frank but he's already had his issues with some supporters and for all he achieved last season, many other players could have contributed just as much. Cheerio after the season ends, unless he pulls off some great turnaround.

Villa delivers goals and Pirlo delivers man-crushes, both in good numbers, so they're great to have around.

Reactions: Angela Miller
Updated with confirmation of Villa's contract running through 2017 and another source for Pirlo's contract.

Hat tip to Gotham Gator Gotham Gator for posting the Villa link in another thread.

I Think Tommy Mac should be up there now as to importance to this Team !! I think he's awesome and has gone beyond anyone's expectations !! He's born and bread NY!! and plays the Hell out the pitch ! I love when he showers or baptizes himself with bottled water every time he takes to the pitch even when they go out to warm up! He must have to replace his cleats with every game! YES I know he's not a DP and that's what this thread is about !!! But The DP'S live on borrowed time !! Contracts Shit !! Anything could change at anytime given what ever happens !! But players like Tommy Mac need to be fully taken care of for this Teams future !! No I'm not In Love with the man !! I'm just appreciating a Good Player when i see one for the Team !! I would call him and others like him SP's for Special Players ! and make Damn sure their contracts are fat with perks !!

Reactions: joe and JCMore
I'd be happy with that. Frank is Frank but he's already had his issues with some supporters and for all he achieved last season, many other players could have contributed just as much. Cheerio after the season ends, unless he pulls off some great turnaround.

Villa delivers goals and Pirlo delivers man-crushes, both in good numbers, so they're great to have around.
Your Awesome !! But being the fan of The Mac check out the above statement!!

Your Awesome !! But being the fan of The Mac check out the above statement!!
Tommy Mac is obviously the player we need to be building the team around for years to come. He'll have national teams knocking on his door before too long. Here's hoping we can hold on to him when the multi million dollar bids start coming in though.

Tommy Mac is obviously the player we need to be building the team around for years to come. He'll have national teams knocking on his door before too long. Here's hoping we can hold on to him when the multi million dollar bids start coming in though.
Do you really think Tommy Mac is going to demand transfer bids like we've seen in this league for Matt Miazga and Fabian Castillo?

I love Tommy Mac, but this seems pretty far-fetched.

Do you really think Tommy Mac is going to demand transfer bids like we've seen in this league for Matt Miazga and Fabian Castillo?

Yes, he's a great guy, has a rifle from distance, and plays an effective role if he is positioned correctly, but that gets you a solid contributor, not an indispensable star. With that said, I hope he's one of our guys for a while, but not at a premium price.

Yes, he's a great guy, has a rifle from distance, and plays an effective role if he is positioned correctly, but that gets you a solid contributor, not an indispensable star. With that said, I hope he's one of our guys for a while, but not at a premium price.

This is basically true - MLS success is based on accumulating really good, but not quite world class players.

Tommy Mac is exactly the kind of player you need to succeed in this league. Get 8 Tommy Macs and 3 DPs and watch the Cups roll in.

Reactions: adam and JayH

We will be fielding bids from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man United, Dundee United and all the big clubs soon, mark my words. Anything less than 15 million and i'll be angry.

We will be fielding bids from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man United, Dundee United and all the big clubs soon, mark my words. Anything less than 15 million and i'll be angry.
giphy.gif

Soup, you really missed Jock's sarcasm. I was reading the thread, got to his post and you were down the list on who I expected to be the first sucker.

Updated with confirmation on Lampard and Pirlo. Three for three!