Englands Chances In Brazil

lawson

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 28, 2014
Kenilworth, NJ
I know a lot of English boys frequent this board so lets have it out. How far do you realistically think we can go?

In my opinion this is the most exciting squad we've had since 2002 so I am quietly excited. I say quietly, because the rest of the world seem to have written us off completely due to how shite we've been in recent years. However, we have come up with a decent blend of youth and experience and to be fair we pissed qualifying and finished top goalscorers in the whole of UEFA in the process. Italy are not the force they once were and we should hopefully know all about them, Uruguay whilst dangerous in attack are a little too top heavy and barely qualified for the competition, and you'd like to think we could dispose of Costa Rica. From there on in its the luck of the draw and pray we avoid penalties :)

Saying that, whats the odds old 'Woy completely bottles it and plays Gerrard and Lampard together in the middle with Milner on the right, goes far too conservative and we end up out in the group stages!?

I think a better question is "will England finish above bottom in their group, and avoid humiliating themselves?"

The answer is: no.

Although, if England do get out of the group then you can bet that the bookies will make us odds-on to get knocked out on penalties. I think England's record is currently 7 losses from 9 penalty shoot-outs in official competitions, and the last win was something like 20 years ago.

I think a better question is "will England finish above bottom in their group, and avoid humiliating themselves?"

The answer is: no.

Although, if England do get out of the group then you can bet that the bookies will make us odds-on to get knocked out on penalties. I think England's record is currently 7 losses from 9 penalty shoot-outs in official competitions, and the last win was something like 20 years ago.

Unfortunately Falastur Falastur I'm one of the mugs that gets carried away at major tournaments and swept up in the hype that is our national team. Even though I spent the whole of this season promising myself I wouldn't, I really can't help but get excited now that it's just around the corner and wonder what if...

I'm going to be a reet miserable bastard come July

What's the old saying about European clubs don't do well in South America?

I struggle to see England advancing out of their group honestly. You can say the same about America. We're both pretty much in the same situation. Though we have CRonaldo and Germany to contend with...

I think the US has a great chance of moving out of the group. Portugal is a beatable team and Cristiano Ronaldo has never been himself in the World Cup. If you can control him you can control that team. Everything runs through him and they don't have a lot of attacking options besides him. Ghana is a team that we can beat, we just have to play well against them and not give up easy goals. Germany is going to be the toughest game of the group and getting any points from that game would be a bonus

I think the US has a great chance of moving out of the group. Portugal is a beatable team and Cristiano Ronaldo has never been himself in the World Cup. If you can control him you can control that team. Everything runs through him and they don't have a lot of attacking options besides him. Ghana is a team that we can beat, we just have to play well against them and not give up easy goals. Germany is going to be the toughest game of the group and getting any points from that game would be a bonus
I dont disagree that US has a chance to move on but Englands chances of winning the cup are nill. I think England is a good benchmark for USA, we can be a comaprable international side within 10 years, much longer road to italy, spain, brazil, argentina, germany status

I struggle to see England advancing out of their group honestly. You can say the same about America. We're both pretty much in the same situation. Though we have CRonaldo and Germany to contend with...
and ghana, cant overlook the team that knocked you out the last two times

England will do well to get to the knock-out stages' if they do anything could happen. It's up to Roy and how he sets them up. Do not forget that there's a lot of firepower and attacking style recruited this year (City, Liverpool, Southampton).

But I will watch (or at least try to) all matches involving City players, and hopefully one of them will grab the trophy.

England is in the real group of death, Uruguay and Italy are going to make it extremely tough for anyone else to get out of that group. I cant see England getting 3 points from either of those two. 5 points is best case scenario for them. Uruguay is the sleeper team of the tournament in my opinion