Expansion Rumors Megathread

Oh god. Really?

Scottish fella I chatted to about regarding MLS thinks we lack creativty regarding new team names.

Detroit Motors sounds good. And there's a precedence for it.
I think the problem was that MLS1.0 was so creatively bad, that teams have gone the conservative route to not look foolish.

MLS1.0:
NY/NJ Metrostars
Kansas City Wiz
Dallas Burn
San Jose Clash
Tampa Bay Mutiny

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I think the problem was that MLS1.0 was so creatively bad, that teams have gone the conservative route to not look foolish.

MLS1.0:
NY/NJ Metrostars
Kansas City Wiz
Dallas Burn
San Jose Clash
Tampa Bay Mutiny

But MLS 2.0 team names are pretty good...

Portland Timbers
Seattle Sounders
Philadelphia Union
Montreal Impact
Vancouver Whitecaps

But MLS 2.0 team names are pretty good...

Portland Timbers
Seattle Sounders
Philadelphia Union
Montreal Impact
Vancouver Whitecaps
Three of those teams' names, Timbers, Sounders, Whitecaps, are from the NASL (two of which date back from the 70's), so not sure MLS can claim originality.

Reactions: Paul
Never understood what was wrong with the name "wizards".

This guy had the same complaint.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Surprise! Monthly reminder out of Miami that Beckham's team isn't a lock until we hear a whistle.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/w...ill-david-beckham-soccer-stadium-deal-9514392

Spot #24 is still technically open. If Miami doesn't figure this latest road block out by December (pretty unlikely), MLS almost has to go with three other ready bids. Probably Sacramento, Phoenix, and Cincinnati.

Ready Markets
Sacramento
Phoenix
Cincinnati
Tampa

Potential Markets 2017
Miami
Nashville
Detroit

Potential Markets 2018+
San Antonio
San Diego
North Carolina

Dead Bids

Indianapolis
Charlotte
St. Louis

Reactions: LostAnvil and adam
Is Phoenix ready? Didn't hear anything about their stadium plan. Nor Cincinnati.

Phoenix is privately funded and has an option on their land. They are basically shovel ready.

Cincinnati has a location in Kentucky right across the river squared away with the developer and the KY government, including public funding of some kind that I would need to look up again. They are trying to secure a different location in Cincy proper with government funding, but it's much less likely to happen and may just be for show.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...on-sealing-deal-with-gilbert-for-jail-complex

Detroit on the move.

Can they move fast enough to be in consideration for #25/26? They are one of the best markets and ownership groups to apply.

Detroit succeeding would pretty much lock out two of Cincinnati, Nashville, and Tampa. I really hope MLS goes straight to 30 if we have extra top-tier bids.

24 - Miami
25 - Sacramento (shovel-ready, highest revenue 2nd division club)
26 - Cincinnati (shovel-ready, highest attendance 2nd division club)
27 - Phoenix (largest market)
28 - Detroit (second largest market)
-
29 - San Diego?
30 - Tampa/Nashville

St. Louis, Tampa/Nashville, Carolinas, San Antonio, and Indy on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbrylski
Saw that on Reddit. Pretty odd to me. Why now? What does Silva bring that Beckham doesn't have already? Why would Silva leak his $4 billion media rights offer to MLS if this was his plan?
No idea. I've always figured that was the big plan behind Miami FC. He has been burning money overpaying for players, doing expensive pre-game concerts and stuff that I could only guess two possible ideas behind it. Either to impress celebrities and coke dealers in Miami Beach by owning a soccer club, or make some play on the Beckham MLS train.
I'm not buying it, but we don't know if Beckham ever secured all of the money people needed, so perhaps he is open to bringing in the money and eliminating his competitor.

Surprise! Monthly reminder out of Miami that Beckham's team isn't a lock until we hear a whistle.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/w...ill-david-beckham-soccer-stadium-deal-9514392

Spot #24 is still technically open. If Miami doesn't figure this latest road block out by December (pretty unlikely)

A lawsuit filed by a really rich, old white guy happens literally every time a new sports facility is in pre-construction in Miami.

I'm in no way implying that there will not be any more shenanigans that could kill the Miami deal but old, rich white guy will lose this lawsuit.

And LOL at his assertion that a soccer stadium will diminish quality of life in OVERTOWN

I'm still REALLY worried about the Beckham groups plan for ZERO parking garages. That could really hurt their chances of building a fan base from Broward and south Palm Beach County. No one wants to drive 45-90 minutes to Overtown and then fight for parking spots being sold in people's back yards in a very rough neighborhood.

Here's an article from a publication that has a lot more credibility than the Miami New Times:

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...id-at-the-finish-line-mls-commissioner-garber

Last edited: