Expansion Rumors Megathread

Per the halftime interview today on ESPN, The Soccer Don stated the league will have 24 teams by 2018 so LAFC, Miami, Minneapolis, and Atlanta will all be playing by the start of that season, according to this statement today.

Reactions: sbrylski
Per the halftime interview today on ESPN, The Soccer Don stated the league will have 24 teams by 2018 so LAFC, Miami, Minneapolis, and Atlanta will all be playing by the start of that season, according to this statement today.
Guess it makes sense why they're thinking of scraping the expansion draft. I think it's the right thing for several reasons. This isn't most American sports, there's talent everywhere waiting to be signed.

Maybe Atlanta and Minnesota in 2017, LA and Miami in 2018.

Can you imagine the buzz for a season with LAFC and a Beckham-owned Miami joining and a World Cup?

Reactions: Kjbert
I think 25-28, realistically, right now is looking like:

Sacramento, Indianapolis, San Antonio and St. Louis

3 of the 4 have only 1 or 2 other pro-sports in town and 3 of the 4 have established, well supported clubs that have served notice they want in to MLS.

St. Louis will be brought in because it has a rich soccer history, good support for friendlies, and will make a good rivalry with Sporting KC.

I think Sacramento and San Antonio are big favorites to be 25 and 26. St. Louis is right behind. The 4th team could really be anyone. I personally like the idea of Phoenix playing on grass under the Glendale dome, but they need to show they can support a team.

Im really high on San Diego. The big plus there is the Chargers are probably gone (2nd weakest of the 3 NFL teams moving). So I see a big city with only a MLB by 2017-2018. Ripe for MLS.

But yeah Sacramento and San Antonio are at least penciled in as numbers 25 and 26.

I would put Indianapolis up there. Indy Eleven have plans to build a brand new stadium and they get very good crowds.

Im really high on San Diego. The big plus there is the Chargers are probably gone (2nd weakest of the 3 NFL teams moving). So I see a big city with only a MLB by 2017-2018. Ripe for MLS.

But yeah Sacramento and San Antonio are at least penciled in as numbers 25 and 26.

I've been watching the NFL to LA drama closely for this very reason. I'm kind of rooting for the St. Louis Rams and the San Diego Chargers to be the teams that end up in LA, because it opens two great market options for MLS. Some say this would be a negative for St. Louis, as the city's stadium proposal includes accommodation for an MLS team, however I'd rather they had a clean slate and a true SSS on the site anyway - a possibility if the right investor comes along.

I've been watching the NFL to LA drama closely for this very reason. I'm kind of rooting for the St. Louis Rams and the San Diego Chargers to be the teams that end up in LA, because it opens two great market options for MLS. Some say this would be a negative for St. Louis, as the city's stadium proposal includes accommodation for an MLS team, however I'd rather they had a clean slate and a true SSS on the site anyway - a possibility if the right investor comes along.
I can see a scenario where one of the NFL teams relocates to St Louis because they have a stadium plan. Raiders? Rams are gone though.

If St Louis doesn't retain a NFL team, their stadium plan is doomed and they won't be getting MLS anytime soon.

I can see a scenario where one of the NFL teams relocates to St Louis because they have a stadium plan. Raiders? Rams are gone though.

If St Louis doesn't retain a NFL team, their stadium plan is doomed and they won't be getting MLS anytime soon.

You think the Rams would move to Los Angeles and the Raiders would move to St. Louis? San Diego has a stadium plan for the Chargers, I think, so they probably wouldn't be motivated by St. Louis's offer. But maybe the Raiders, who seem to have zero options besides LA.

Los Angeles Rams
Los Angeles Chargers
St. Louis Raiders

That would be so weird.

You think the Rams would move to Los Angeles and the Raiders would move to St. Louis? San Diego has a stadium plan for the Chargers, I think, so they probably wouldn't be motivated by St. Louis's offer. But maybe the Raiders, who seem to have zero options besides LA.

Los Angeles Rams
Los Angeles Chargers
St. Louis Raiders

That would be so weird.
San Diego has a piss poor plan that requires a public vote that will never pass. So although they do have a plan, which is more than Oakland has, it's not much of one. Since Rams owner (who also owns Rapids and Arsenal) is dead set on leaving and St Louis actually has a decent stadium plan, it's plausible that Raiders or Chargers could move to St Louis.

In any case, if no NFL team is in St Louis when the musical chairs stop, then no way the stadium gets built and no chance of MLS coming.

In any case, if no NFL team is in St Louis when the musical chairs stop, then no way the stadium gets built and no chance of MLS coming.

MLS doesn't need an NFL team to sponsor it. I know the current stadium plan would be nixed, but they could start from scratch for an MLS plan if a legit ownership group wants to work at it.

MLS doesn't need an NFL team to sponsor it. I know the current stadium plan would be nixed, but they could start from scratch for an MLS plan if a legit ownership group wants to work at it.
True but no stadium, no owner... puts St Louis on the backburner for 27/28.

With no NFL, St. Louis becomes possibly the most attractive open market for MLS. They will find investors very quickly I would bet!
Why? They've made barely a whisper since the failed AC St Louis bid 8 years ago. I think there are more attractive cities, in market size and hipster-ness and definitely ones that have at least a possible interest from those with money. St. Louis gave us 1950 WC team, and we thank you, but nothing since NASL.

I really want San Diego, too. Expanding area, good economy, ect.

Natural rival to Tijuana obviously.

Why? They've made barely a whisper since the failed AC St Louis bid 8 years ago. I think there are more attractive cities, in market size and hipster-ness and definitely ones that have at least a possible interest from those with money. St. Louis gave us 1950 WC team, and we thank you, but nothing since NASL.
Didn't St. Louis host an EPL pre-season friendly just recently? Sold out the stadium? To me that would imply at least some amount of interest in the sport.

Didn't St. Louis host an EPL pre-season friendly just recently? Sold out the stadium? To me that would imply at least some amount of interest in the sport.
Oh there is interest and yes they sold out in minutes I believe. But there has been zero movement from a owner or stadium plan side since the failed AC St Louis attempt.

I just think there are more than 2 cities/groups ahead of them.

Another one we haven't mentioned is the billionaire group that just started a USL club in Cinncannati. They are also very possible to jump into this mix fast.

What is the NFL Stadium like in St. Louis? Is is well located? Could it be reconditioned/rebuilt as a SSS?
From what I understand, it is ideally located. It's a dome stadium that doubles as a convention center I believe, so it would not be cheap to convert it to a nice soccer venue, and likely would not be made available as it would continue to serve as a convention center i'd imagine.