Formation Speculation

I've seen enough of the USMNT trying to force me to be a DMid or 6 to know that's not the best role for his skill set. We need him going forward.

How many people do we need going forward? It's like an U10 team where everyone wants to score. Why couldn't he make runs from a DM position? Besides, if Mix's role is going forward, he'll remain a sub for the rest of the year.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Sadly the best place for Mix is the deep midfield now otherwise we are wasting Pirlo and Lamp. He's the only other DM besides Jacobson. Poku needs to play up.

Sadly the best place for Mix is the deep midfield now otherwise we are wasting Pirlo and Lamp. He's the only other DM besides Jacobson. Poku needs to play up.
If Kreis insists on forcing us into the 4231, I think Mix is a great partner for Pirlo. mix can move forward on attack, and back on defense. He's the only guy I trust to be able to control the center of the pitch.

However, the team is set up for the diamond and it looks like shit when we try to play Tmac as a winger.

Reactions: NickA
This.

If we want these players on the field:

Villa
Lampard
Poku
TMac

Then your attacking positions are pretty well filled.

The place that makes sense for Mix with these players on the pitch is in a DMid type role. And BTW he looked pretty good there in his last USMNT game (granted it was against Haiti).

Reactions: gbservis and NickA
Agreed. I want Mix to be that awesome playmaker, the quarterback for this team, but his skill sets include def mid and we need him on the field, even if it means AJ sets. Pirlo and Lamps, if their going to be in the field need him there.

As for wingers, we've seemed to care for that like we care about defense apparently. We could try Villa and Ballouchy, or maybe Mullins out wide, but I agree we want T-Mac up in the CAM roles.

Ooo, I like where this conversation when just now. Inspired me:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Bit of a modified 4-2-3-1 playing to our guys' strengths.

First, put our fastest two CB's in there, because this is definitely a defensively weak formation, designed for possession and attack.

Second, put Pirlo and Mix just above them, with Mix playing as a 6/8, free to go box to box but primarily ensuring that he's the last line of midfield defense.

Third, Angelino has played a fair amount higher than Iraola. Let him roam the left side and provide the width. Iraola also plays high, but slightly more defensive and switching off runs forward with Mix.

Fourth, play McNamara and Poku as the outside attacking mids. McNamara can play further inside because Angelino is providing width on his left, and they have shown good chemistry together. Poku can line up in the space on the right, but still play his game - swing the ball to him and then let him attack the FB or CB on the dribble.

Finally, Lampard in the middle of the attack, and Villa up top.

I think this is a formation that gets our best starting XI on the field, and has them all playing their primary style as a coherent team. /thread

That's awesome, but I'll be honest seeing how far back Mena and Facey are, all alone with Saunders scares the living piss out of me, especially since Angelino doesn't play much defense.

But hey it might work!

Reactions: SayWhat44

First, put our fastest two CB's in there, because this is definitely a defensively weak formation, designed for possession and attack.

Second, put Pirlo and Mix just above them, with Mix playing as a 6/8, free to go box to box but primarily ensuring that he's the last line of midfield defense.

Third, Angelino has played a fair amount higher than Iraola. Let him roam the left side and provide the width. Iraola also plays high, but slightly more defensive and switching off runs forward with Mix.

Fourth, play McNamara and Poku as the outside attacking mids. McNamara can play further inside because Angelino is providing width on his left, and they have shown good chemistry together. Poku can line up in the space on the right, but still play his game - swing the ball to him and then let him attack the FB or CB on the dribble.

I think this is a formation that gets our best starting XI on the field, and has them all playing their primary style as a coherent team. /thread
I love this.

Are you available to coach mid-March to November in the NYC area? Can you start this Sunday night in NJ?

I would be so happy if this is the starting 11 this weekend. Looks perfect to me.

Guess where Shaun Wright Phillips will be all game?

Possibly the same place he has been in the previous two games but at least with this line up we could score more often and maintain more possession limiting his opportunities. I agree the defense is shaky but we have no solutions to that problem on the roster at this point. Maybe we should just put Jacobson back in there so we don't risk ruining all the success we have had in our previous two games against RBNJ by switching it up.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Yeah I bet Jesse Marsch and the RB are excited about it too. Guess where Shaun Wright Phillips will be all game?

I agree that it's an offensively oriented formation, but when Angelino makes runs forward, his opposite Iraola is supposed to fall back, effectively forming a temporary 3-man backline. Facey is free to drift over and head off an attack down the line as Angelino recovers.

As mentioned above, it's not like what we've been doing in the past is working.

The convoluted rational I am now applying around last weeks horrible line up decisions to convince myself that everything is leading to our ideal line-up this weekend:

1. Kries has a tendency to over think things
2. Kries thought it was an easy win game
3. Kries plans to start the midfield of Pirlo-TMAC-Lamps-Mix-Poku we are wishing for from here on out
4. Kreis knew Lamps couldn't start
5. Assuming we would win Kries held out Mix and Poku so that they could sub in with Lamps to maximize the amount of game experience our future starting lineup got as a whole unit before they all started together for the first time this week against RBNJ.

It's totally absurd but it helps feed my false optimism.

Last edited:
The convoluted rational I am now applying around last weeks horrible line up decisions to convince myself that everything is leading to our ideal line-up this weekend:

3. Kries plans to start a midfield the of Pirlo-TMAC-Lamps-Mix-Poku we are wishing for from here on out now that Lampard is healthy
5. Assuming we would win Kries held out Mix and Poku so that they could sub in with Lamps to maximize the amount of game experience our future starting lineup got as a whole unit before they all started together for the first time this week against RBNJ.

I therefore will not try to find holes in said theory and wish/pray that this will work. Dang it, it has to work.

3. Kries plans to start the midfield of Pirlo-TMAC-Lamps-Mix-Poku we are wishing for from here on out

Damn, I hope that #2 was a big part of his reasoning behind starting Grabavoy. And if so, I hope Kreis learned a lot from that. Obviously, from starting Grabavoy, but moreso from thinking an easy win game.

There's no reason Ned should start, or let alone be available on the bench to sub in. Kreis thought this may be the last opportunity to get Ned some playing time before the stretch run with Lamps playing......

Of course this is all wishful thinking and we may see a backline of Brovsky-KWS-Wingert-Allen against RBNJ...