Formation Speculation

The formation of this team is irrelevant at this point. We're 11 players on the field, not one team. With a good winter of training, team building exercises, and language lessons, we'll be solid.

Reactions: Jack and Mario
I would do anything to get Jacobson out of this starting 11.
But now that we have power in our midfield I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-1-3-2 kind of setup

Iraola- facey-mena-Angelino
-------------Pirlo --------------
Mix-------lampard----McNamara
--------poku-------villa--------

Poku as a striker/supporting striker is our best option. I don't value and opinion of Mullins as a starter. Khiry, even when fit is not a starter. We're in no shape to fuck around for the rest of the season. Yes we're a new team, and need time to get things rolling, but it's not April anymore and we now have the players to get results.

Mena is very athletic and would be good in space to cover Pirlo. Pirlo would be able to roam and drop back if he wanted to Mix would be a good connection with Iraola. Lampard would be on the receiving end of Angeliono's crosses.

-----------------Villa---------------
---McNamara---Pirlo---Lampard----
------------Mena------Mix--------------
Angelino---facey---hernandez---Iraola

Poku first off the bench and could fill in for about half of this formation.

Has Mena shown this ability yet? I agree he seems athletic but his number 1 issue is positioning, which is probably the most important ability for a DM.

I get putting Poku in there, but taking the CB starter of 2 games into a totally new role is ill advised.

The formation on Sunday was about what everyone's dreamed of, except for Poku on the bench. We barely even had any RSL players out there or on the bench. I'm sure that right there made a lot of people happy. But guess what, it didn't work. Now we can blame it the on the coach for not telling them to win one for the gipper or some crap, blame it on the players or we can just say it's a new formation with new players and it's going to take time. I know it's not what we want. We want to win now. But this formation and starters have to get used to each other. No other choice.

Has Mena shown this ability yet? I agree he seems athletic but his number 1 issue is positioning, which is probably the most important ability for a DM.

I get putting Poku in there, but taking the CB starter of 2 games into a totally new role is ill advised.

The formation on Sunday was about what everyone's dreamed of, except for Poku on the bench. We barely even had any RSL players out there or on the bench. I'm sure that right there made a lot of people happy. But guess what, it didn't work. Now we can blame it the on the coach for not telling them to win one for the gipper or some crap, blame it on the players or we can just say it's a new formation with new players and it's going to take time. I know it's not what we want. We want to win now. But this formation and starters have to get used to each other. No other choice.
The only reason for my formation suggestion was to give Pirlo some defensive cover. I actually loved the lineup we had on Sunday. We were very dangerous in the first half we just couldn't finish.

I really hope we don't see Mena next to Facey on Thursday. The Facey/Hernandez pairing was the cornerstone of our hot streak, and we need to get back to that desperately.

Reactions: Kjbert
I really hope we don't see Mena next to Facey on Thursday. The Facey/Hernandez pairing was the cornerstone of our hot streak, and we need to get back to that desperately.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. The foundation of our hot streak was a bunch of games against some of the weakest teams in the league. Making the playoffs this season is a long shot, I see no point in scraping the development of Mena a young key piece of our future to bring back Hernandez just because he was there when we won a bunch of games.

Edit: By this logic should we bring back Brovsky and Allen? I think they were part of that back line during the winning streak as well.

This. That was the formation that I wanted Kreis to use and he finally did it. It didn't work, but I think the team still does need some time to gel and figure things out, as well as sometimes teams have bad games.

The other option I think is possible is reverting back to a diamond with Poku and Villa up top and Mac, Lamps, Mix, Pirlo as the Mids. I'm not completely sold that Poku can play as a striker, but think the potential as a target man is there.

This. That was the formation that I wanted Kreis to use and he finally did it. It didn't work, but I think the team still does need some time to gel and figure things out, as well as sometimes teams have bad games.

The other option I think is possible is reverting back to a diamond with Poku and Villa up top and Mac, Lamps, Mix, Pirlo as the Mids. I'm not completely sold that Poku can play as a striker, but think the potential as a target man is there.
Where The Poku can make his money is getting a ball with a 2-on-2 and space ahead of him. He's actually quite fast and plays the ball ahead of him where a defender can't really reach it. Getting The Poku upfield with space in front of him needs to be how our attack is orchestrated. But Kreis needs to take a look at his lineup and find a way to get him in there, no matter what.

For me, Poku as a support striker with Villa as was done last night.

Not big on Jacobson in any respect, of course. Doesn't seem to provide adequate defensive cover for Pirlo.

I am just happy to see Poku starting finally. I haven't gotten to see all the matches (have seen about 2/3 of them) but it pretty much has always been "why the #$₩& isn't this guy playing more" in my mind every time I have seen him.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I actually thought Jacobson had a pretty good game last night again. His mistakes aren't glaring like many of our players, which is more of a positioning thing, but he was open and available for many passes and runs forward.

Hard to congratulate Kreis for selecting the midfield lineup he should have. It is not like he did anything creative. He sent out the best players in their best position to win. besides Jacobson. Jacobson was awful
I disagree. Not only was the first selection useful and unrehearsed (RJ Allen?), but the timing of Iraola and Mix subs, which didn't make sense to me, seemed to be genius. DC let up in the 2nd half and Allen wasn't pressing, enter Iraola, which I think really shifted momentum.

As for Jacobson, he does the one thing that many of us here has criticized, he kept trying to play too far up field, he needs to stay back. But Pirlo made some amazing adjustments in the 2nd and really changed his game around,,not sure AJ had much to do with it, maybe he did.

Play Lampard next to Pirlo and see what happens.

I'm
Concerned that Kreis believes Poku is his caddy for Lampard.

Right now, Poku is the better player.

What about this?
---------------Villa
-------Lampard--Poku
-McNamara----------Mix
---------------Pirlo
Angelino-Facey-Mena-Iraola
--------------Saunders

It gets both Lampard and Poku on the field and removes Jacobson. It also puts Mix in a position to cover defensively while not completely removing his option to attack.

Play Lampard next to Pirlo and see what happens.

I'm
Concerned that Kreis believes Poku is his caddy for Lampard.

Right now, Poku is the better player.

We saw that against Montreal, and while it's hard to draw conclusions, it certainly didn't set the Stadium on fire. Better to play Mix next to Pirlo.

Reactions: gbservis
Mix plays a very good supporting cm role with the national team when he plays next to Bradley. He is next to him as he moves up the field, moves into attack as the ball pushes up, and is back in the middle on defense. He plays that role well against the best teams and players in the world. To even think that jacobson, who no one in the world other than thesauerchise would ever think is national team material, can play that role better than mix, is crazy.

Multiple factors make it an even better fit. 1. Pirlo is better than Bradley. And 2. The competition in MLS is not as good as the international game.