Frank Lampard Thread

Lampard finally speaks: https://www.facebook.com/franklampard/posts/714136902032804

"I want to make it completely clear about my situation as I have read a lot of lies and nonsense over the last few days. When released from Chelsea last year at the end of my contract I signed a commitment to play in NYCFC for two years starting January 1st 2015. I was then offered the chance to train and be part of the Man City squad in the interim to keep myself in the best shape going into New York.This period has since been extended by Man City and I now will start playing for NYCFC at the end of this current Premier League season. There has always been a constant dialogue between all parties in this time to find the best solution for everyone. I can say that I am very excited about arriving in New York and giving everything to the team to make us a success in the MLS as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your ongoing support and I wish everyone a healthy and happy 2015!"

Reading from the script like everyone else...

How will this extended loan be good for the New York party? Lol

Reactions: Kjbert
Not exactly the tone that is going to win back the fans. References to "lies and nonsense" doesn't suggest any remorse, empathy or understanding of the reaction, concern and disappointment. I'm not even going to comment on the substance of his statements. My plan is to completely forget about the guy from here on out, get excited for the season, enjoy it, and then see how I feel in July when he shows his face.

Lampard finally speaks: https://www.facebook.com/franklampard/posts/714136902032804

"I want to make it completely clear about my situation as I have read a lot of lies and nonsense over the last few days. When released from Chelsea last year at the end of my contract I signed a commitment to play in NYCFC for two years starting January 1st 2015. I was then offered the chance to train and be part of the Man City squad in the interim to keep myself in the best shape going into New York.This period has since been extended by Man City and I now will start playing for NYCFC at the end of this current Premier League season. There has always been a constant dialogue between all parties in this time to find the best solution for everyone. I can say that I am very excited about arriving in New York and giving everything to the team to make us a success in the MLS as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your ongoing support and I wish everyone a healthy and happy 2015!"

See it was just a case of he did better in Manchester than was envisaged at the time. However everyone was in the loop. To say now that the suits at NYCFC were hoodwinked is ludicrous. It would have been better for all if from now on there was better transparency from CFG, to nip in the bud any potential misunderstandings in future.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Why did it take so long for him to come forward?

Oh that's right, the kids in Manchester needed to finish the script. Maybe next time they'll realize that word for word the same message from several people isn't really convincing.

Ignoring the biggest lie which was made last July when the club announced he signed a DP contract and Frank kept his fat mouth shut about it and let everyone including MC and his MC coach call it a loan. Dishonest fraud.

See it was just a case of he did better in Manchester than was envisaged at the time. However everyone was in the loop. To say now that the suits at NYCFC were hoodwinked is ludicrous. It would have been better for all if from now on there was better transparency from CFG, to nip in the bud any potential misunderstandings in future.
How can you be here so long and still confuse the situation?

• The NYCFC fans have been hoodwinked.
  • The NYCFC management were ordered to do something not in the interest of their team.

Both of those are facts that will not be changing regardless of any statements...

Last edited:
Not exactly the tone that is going to win back the fans. References to "lies and nonsense" doesn't suggest any remorse, empathy or understanding of the reaction, concern and disappointment. I'm not even going to comment on the substance of his statements. My plan is to completely forget about the guy from here on out, get excited for the season, enjoy it, and then see how I feel in July when he shows his face.

As far as Lampard is concerned he has done nothing wrong if we believe the lies of the press this is our problem not his. You could argue that CFG walked a fine line and didn't remove the ambiguity of his contractual obligations to NYCFC and MCFC but nothing more. Based on everyone's inner bias people chose to believe what that chose to believe. Some that CFG and MCFC are evil monsters out to destroy the team they created. Or like me CFG is a sweet cuddly teddy bear spreading CITY football love throughout the world. With that I top up CITY/CFG Kool-aid and enjoy.

Reactions: mgarbowski
As far as Lampard is concerned he has done nothing wrong if we believe the lies of the press this is our problem not his. You could argue that CFG walked a fine line and didn't remove the ambiguity of his contractual obligations to NYCFC and MCFC but nothing more. Based on everyone's inner bias people chose to believe what that chose to believe. Some that CFG and MCFC are evil monsters out to destroy the team they created. Or like me CFG is a sweet cuddly teddy bear spreading CITY football love throughout the world. With that I top up CITY/CFG Kool-aid and enjoy.
I'm not on board for all of this but I do agree that it's wrong to blame all of this on CFG and MCFC.
NYCFC was complicit. They had to be. They officially announced he signed a DP contract last July to start August 1. It's still up on their damn website:
"Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st....
Transaction: New York City FC signs Frank Lampard to a Designated Player contract."
Frank was complicit in this, as was NYCFC, CFG, and MCFC. Pellegrini called Franks situation a loan when he had to know he had a regular contract.
The entire organization lied to us. And they lied to Melbourne about Villa. And to us about independence, and a separate identity.
It is an organization that is terribly comfortable lying repeatedly to its own customers, because too many of us are extremely willing to make excuses and ask for more.

How can you be here so long and confuse the situation?

The NYCFC fans have been hoodwinked.
The Nycfc management were ordered to do something not in the interest of their team.

Both of those are facts that will not be changing regardless of any statements...

You have no evidence that suggests the NYC management were order to do anything. As JK and CR have both played football they may have understood that FL wanted to finish out the season. For me the driver in this would have been what FL wanted and speaking purely as a NYCFC fan I don't give **** about what MP wants. I think FL was pretty hurt by not getting a contract from Chelsea. If it was me I'd be raging to score the goal that wins MCFC the title. Then say not good enough am I Jose!

The only fact is that there was a lot of misinformation that went unchecked that allowed something to developed that should never have. The fact the wider group took so long to set the record straight did not help.

And they lied to Melbourne about Villa.

I'm not sure they did ever lie about Villa. From my recollection Melbourne City never committed to a number of games that he would play for them, and as far as I know still haven't confirmed whether or not he would return this season (despite everyone knowing the answer to that).

With Villa, like it has been here lack of communication has been a big issue that has allowed speculation to run rampant. That hasn't helped matters, with Lampard neither has the incorrect, or at best ambiguous statements from both clubs involved.

CFG doesn't tend to give updates, they say something when something needs to be said. It can be frustrating as a supporter, and in both the Villa and Lampard cases I think a lot of the discontent could have been avoided if the clubs concerned were more upfront about things.

Wow so he admits that he lied to all of us. No contract with NYCFC, no loan to MCFC. He also commits to start in Jan 1st, and then decides not to because he'd rather stay with MCFC. He just confirmed what we've all thought, he's a not a man of character or his word.

I hope now more than ever he doesn't play for us.

Reactions: Paul
Also, if the MCFC didn't happen until after, then why only sign a commitment with NYCFC and not a full contract??? This all makes no damn sense.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Wow so he admits that he lied to all of us. No contract with NYCFC, no loan to MCFC. He also commits to start in Jan 1st, and then decides not to because he'd rather stay with MCFC. He just confirmed what we've all thought, he's a not a man of character or his word.

I hope now more than ever he doesn't play for us.

A commitment to play is not a playing contract it is more of a pre-contract. The silver lining is that FL is obviously better than most people thought when he left Chelsea. Hence when he does get to New York he should make an impact. Without knowing the play by play is not possible to place blame. Anyway when NYCFC start playing at least this will give JK a platform to push back if needed. CFG really has divisions now each division is going to be shouting for funding. So all of the managers from all of the teams I suspect are going to be PRing it to get the best deal they can for their division/team. So what they will say in future we need to take with a pinch of salt. It is most likely just internal politics. JK is just on the back foot as NYC are not playing so there are no press conferences. If I had to pick a pecking order right now it will be ManCFC>NYCFC>MelCFC. However if the US market takes off maybe in 40 years it may be different. CFG is looking at the over picture across the three teams + 1 and taking business decisions base on projected return for investment. By sticking together the three teams have more weight in terms of attracting investment from partners that benefits all. The uneven investment strategy across the three teams is simply a reflection of the business requirements in each league. What I expect CFG to do is invest the money require to deliver the same probability of success across the whole group and not say focus it in one place for example Manchester. It will be about 4-5 years before I believe both MelCFC and NYCFC are up to speed. CFG as has been said before don't feel the need to answer speculation. As a ManCFC fan at the start I found this quite frustrating but now I have gotten use to it. Rome was not built in a day and one player does not make a team. Well unless your name is Maradona in the 1986 world cup.

Reactions: Kubah
I'm not on board for all of this but I do agree that it's wrong to blame all of this on CFG and MCFC.
NYCFC was complicit. They had to be. They officially announced he signed a DP contract last July to start August 1. It's still up on their damn website:
"Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st....
Transaction: New York City FC signs Frank Lampard to a Designated Player contract."
Frank was complicit in this, as was NYCFC, CFG, and MCFC. Pellegrini called Franks situation a loan when he had to know he had a regular contract.
The entire organization lied to us. And they lied to Melbourne about Villa. And to us about independence, and a separate identity.
It is an organization that is terribly comfortable lying repeatedly to its own customers, because too many of us are extremely willing to make excuses and ask for more.

I kind of have to agree with the last part there. If you have to know one thing about CFG is they plan things down to the finest of details. So everybody who needed to know in CFG knew. MP knew, CR knew, JK knew, the boards etc. definitely knew. This was the game plan from the start with a break clause in December so when FL didn't cut it, it was off to the MLS. EVERYBODY understood this but Frank. Instead of just warming the bench he played well, proving most wrong.

Problem was the CFG marketing machine via NYCFC was moving forward at flank speed and decisions were taken based on probabilities. Hence the marketing with Frank on it. I suspect around mid November may be earlier the plan was falling apart. Frank had his mojo back and injuries were on the up. NYCFC wasn't playing so it was a business no brainers in terms of performance. There was a bit of an issue as CFG didn't really want to get into the contract in respects of FL so the party line was this was a Loan. The suits then buried their heads in the sand and hoped it would blow over. That turned out to be a cracking decision, NOT! Actually now thinking about it every time a journo asked about FL's 'loan' MP smiled more than normal. I didn't think anything of it at the time. The rest of this fubar spiralled from there. Clueless fans were left to invent the rest and the blame game started.