Frank Lampard Thread

So I didn't get everything, as it seems some things were blocked but this to me was definitely a NYCFC thread discussing at this point the relevant news of NYCFC possibly getting Lampard back early. Part of that discussion obviously is Man City's willingness to do the deal, hence the conversation about City.

So I think this a NYCFC thread.

I must admit the RUMOUR from the NEWSpaper the Daily Mail about the possible early TRANSFER of Frank Lampard, listed on the official NYCFC website to the NYCFC TEAM, may have made it into the the Team News and rumours section.
Apparently not.

Yet posting such things as "1000 posts on this topic, smdh", "The last thing we need is another F**** thread" on the 50th page of a Frank Lampard thread, not the 1st, the 50th page, "Poll: Do you think the revival of this awful thread has anything to do with the recent decline in civility on the rest of the board?" wtf? No me neither, "Its not even about Frank, its just manchester fans talking amongst themselves.@@NYCFC_Dan Send this crap to debate desk or give us a mute thread option". The mute option is there, if you do not like Frank Lampard don't open Frank Lampard threads, guess what will be there... i couldn't give a rat's ass about oysters in NYC, guess what, i have not posted there and then a Dr Evil gif. No wonder the thread is packed with shite, half of it is nothing to do with Frank Lampard, news, rumours or the team.

Reactions: typicalcity
This thread should be moved to a new subforum every day, a sort of world tour if you will, and finally sent to NYCFC Roster when he finally shows up. And we'll all have a gif party. Can we do gifs here?

This thread should be moved to a new subforum every day, a sort of world tour if you will, and finally sent to NYCFC Roster when he finally shows up. And we'll all have a gif party. Can we do gifs here?
Yeah, we know from gif parties. Biggest was a few weeks before the season when we all got punch drunk over anticipation and poster who kept beating the same dead horse. Best not go down that road now, maybe when he does get here.

Can we do gifs?
w8i6ho2.gif

We can.

And if your goal is for people to embrace frank then continuing to fuel these discussions is in no way shape or form going to help that. 50+ pages of nonsense prove that.

The signing of Lampard is one of the biggest things that has ever happened to American club soccer, surpassed only by the arrivals of Pele and Beckham. Yet some people who fancy themselves the team's most ardent fans refuse to grasp this historic magnitude, preferring instead to fixate on insignificant details. This illustrates the dangerous reality-distorting power of groupthink.

When Lampard gets on the field for NYCFC, thereby immediately placing the team at the centre of the attention of the footballing world, and (if we're lucky) helping the team fight for the East's sixth playoff spot, perhaps then the nitpickers will be wise enough to step back and see the bigger picture; perhaps it will then finally dawn on these people how lucky we are to be experiencing such a player in the club's first season.

Plenty of people come here, and have a great time on the forums with a bunch of great people. Others come and stir shit, flight with everyone and only talk about FL. It's happened before and the only solution is to fumigate, as @Midas Mulligan had eloquently put it. Their motivation is so clear, I don't know why it's put up with. It really detracts from the board.

Reactions: leilanikali420
The signing of Lampard is one of the biggest things that has ever happened to American club soccer, surpassed only by the arrivals of Pele and Beckham. Yet some people who fancy themselves the team's most ardent fans refuse to grasp this historic magnitude, preferring instead to fixate on insignificant details. This illustrates the dangerous reality-distorting power of groupthink.

When Lampard gets on the field for NYCFC, thereby immediately placing the team at the centre of the attention of the footballing world, and (if we're lucky) helping the team fight for the East's sixth playoff spot, perhaps then the nitpickers will be wise enough to step back and see the bigger picture; perhaps it will then finally dawn on these people how lucky we are to be experiencing such a player in the club's first season.

Phew! To think I almost missed the historic magnitude of this moment and was distracted by a simple white lie! Thank you for setting me straight Ferdinand, you paragon of rhetorical brilliance!

Whelp, I'm off to go talk about something other than Lampard. Maybe I'll see you on some of the positive threads elsewhere on the board. Probably not though. Less to arrogantly lecture people about...

I'm not even sure Lampard's signing is the biggest thing to happen to New York City FC, much less American soccer as a whole, as I think Villa's was arguably more important. Beckham, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Kaka, Keane, Henry, are names that off the top of my head have come and made significant contributions that to date eclipse what Lampard's would do. Maybe Lampard comes over and does well, but it's premature to make those conclusions.

Also, maybe not bring up Pele? That didn't work out so well in the long term.

I'm not even sure Lampard's signing is the biggest thing to happen to New York City FC, much less American soccer as a whole, as I think Villa's was arguably more important. Beckham, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Kaka, Keane, Henry, are names that off the top of my head have come and made significant contributions that to date eclipse what Lampard's would do. Maybe Lampard comes over and does well, but it's premature to make those conclusions.

Also, maybe not bring up Pele? That didn't work out so well in the long term.

I am talking about the impact of his mere signing. The signings of Pele and Beckham were huge media events that changed the nature the domestic league and the cultural place of soccer in the U.S. Nothing matches those two events, which will probably forever remain the the top moments in the history of American club soccer.

One rung down is the signing of Lampard, which is comparable to the signings of Henry, Kaka, Villa, and Gerrard, though far more significant. The arrival of no other player, be he a foreign star (Keane, Cahill, Blanco in MLS; Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Best in the NASL) or a great American player (Donovan, Dempsey) is comparable in terms of raising the profile of the league and the sport in the American sports landscape. Lampard is now the worldwide face of MLS. Only the arrival of Ronaldinho now or the imagined arrival of a Cristiano Ronaldo in X-number of years could eclipse the magnitude of the Lampard signing.

Secondly, Pele worked out wonderfully. The Cosmos won a title with him, and three more afterwards. And his having played with the team gave it a legitimacy that no American club had ever equalled until the Galaxy in the Beckham / post-Beckham era. Even the current Cosmos continue to associate themselves quite rightly with Pele and his run with the club.

What is often overlooked -- or misunderstood -- about the NASL is the fact that the Cosmos were not the problem; they were the ones doing it right. The problem was the rest of the league.

The Cosmos' owners, Warner Communications, were ideal in that they were able to sustain the team in the long term. Warner could decide to accept some losses now, as a bet on the future of the club. This stood in stark contrast to the league's other ownership groups, most of whom needed today's revenues in order to pay tomorrow's bills.

The NASL expanded far too quickly, once adding six teams in a single year. The league did very little vetting of ownership groups; essentially, any lemonade-stand operator who could pay the expansion fee was in. There was no thought given to the long-term viability of the teams; the only apparant business plan was the blithe assumption that soccer was in the ascendancy in the U.S., and therefore the teams' values would increase. When this didn't happen, the rickety nature of the majority of the league's teams eventually brought the whole league down.

So it would be wrong to say that the signing of Pele didn't work out well, or to imply that the Cosmos were emblematic of anything bad. The Cosmos were a club run the right way, by the best kind of owners; the fact that the other teams didn't follow their good example is the fault not of the Cosmos but of the NASL's leadership. If that league had had half as many teams, but if more of those teams had had ownership groups of the calibre of the Cosmos, then it would never have folded, and we would have had true club football (instead of a single-entity quasi-charade) all these years.

I am talking about the impact of his mere signing. The signings of Pele and Beckham were huge media events that changed the nature the domestic league and the cultural place of soccer in the U.S. Nothing matches those two events, which will probably forever remain the the top moments in the history of American club soccer.

One rung down is the signing of Lampard, which is comparable to the signings of Henry, Kaka, Villa, and Gerrard, though far more significant. The arrival of no other player, be he a foreign star (Keane, Cahill, Blanco in MLS; Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Best in the NASL) or a great American player (Donovan, Dempsey) is comparable in terms of raising the profile of the league and the sport in the American sports landscape. Lampard is now the worldwide face of MLS. Only the arrival of Ronaldinho now or the imagined arrival of a Cristiano Ronaldo in X-number of years could eclipse the magnitude of the Lampard signing.

Secondly, Pele worked out wonderfully. The Cosmos won a title with him, and three more afterwards. And his having played with the team gave it a legitimacy that no American club had ever equalled until the Galaxy in the Beckham / post-Beckham era. Even the current Cosmos continue to associate themselves quite rightly with Pele and his run with the club.

What is often overlooked -- or misunderstood -- about the NASL is the fact that the Cosmos were not the problem; they were the ones doing it right. The problem was the rest of the league.

The Cosmos' owners, Warner Communications, were ideal in that they were able to sustain the team in the long term. Warner could decide to accept some losses now, as a bet on the future of the club. This stood in stark contrast to the league's other ownership groups, most of whom needed today's revenues in order to pay tomorrow's bills.

The NASL expanded far too quickly, once adding six teams in a single year. The league did very little vetting of ownership groups; essentially, any lemonade-stand operator who could pay the expansion fee was in. There was no thought given to the long-term viability of the teams; the only apparant business plan was the blithe assumption that soccer was in the ascendancy in the U.S., and therefore the teams' values would increase. When this didn't happen, the rickety nature of the majority of the league's teams eventually brought the whole league down.

So it would be wrong to say that the signing of Pele didn't work out well, or to imply that the Cosmos were emblematic of anything bad. The Cosmos were a club run the right way, by the best kind of owners; the fact that the other teams didn't follow their good example is the fault not of the Cosmos but of the NASL's leadership. If that league had had half as many teams, but if more of those teams had had ownership groups of the calibre of the Cosmos, then it would never have folded, and we would have had true club football (instead of a single-entity quasi-charade) all these years.

You keep saying Lampard is the worldwide face of MLS. Based on what? I imagine is using Lampard and Gerrard heavily in their marketing towards England, but I don't see MLS hyping Lampard much at all now.

You keep saying Lampard is the worldwide face of MLS. Based on what? I imagine is using Lampard and Gerrard heavily in their marketing towards England, but I don't see MLS hyping Lampard much at all now.

Well, I suppose that my perception is influenced by the fact that I read and listen to mostly English media when it comes to football. (Though I am eagerly awaiting the next edition of Blue City Radio!) Lampard is always the first name mentioned in connection with the league.

But, still, even when I personally talk about NYCFC to anyone -- whether it's a person whom I know, whether its a stranger who asks me about my jacket, or whether its a stranger whom I approach -- identifying the team as Lampard's team is immediately understood and respected.

Lampard is the league's biggest star, and, after Beckham, the league's second most famous player ever. If we want to promote this team, we as fans can't be slagging our most important player and biggest cultural asset, thereby working at cross-purposes to the best interests of the team.

It is true that Lampard cannot be at the centre of current MLS promotions because he hasn't begun appearing in games yet. But, once he arrives, all of that will change; and then we'll see the power of his presence.

So with Lampard now coming to the match on Saturday, it seems like this is an ideal time to boo him. He won't be on the field, so we're not booing one of the players, but we'll have a chance to communicate to him our displeasure with what went down. I don't think you'll get a better shot.

So with Lampard now coming to the match on Saturday, it seems like this is an ideal time to boo him. He won't be on the field, so we're not booing one of the players, but we'll have a chance to communicate to him our displeasure with what went down. I don't think you'll get a better shot.

Still don't fully understand why people are mad at the player and not the owners or NYCFC management, but OK.

Plenty of people come here, and have a great time on the forums with a bunch of great people. Others come and stir shit, flight with everyone and only talk about FL. It's happened before and the only solution is to fumigate, as @Midas Mulligan had eloquently put it. Their motivation is so clear, I don't know why it's put up with. It really detracts from the board.
Well, I suppose that my perception is influenced by the fact that I read and listen to mostly English media when it comes to football. (Though I am eagerly awaiting the next edition of Blue City Radio!) Lampard is always the first name mentioned in connection with the league.

But, still, even when I personally talk about NYCFC to anyone -- whether it's a person whom I know, whether its a stranger who asks me about my jacket, or whether its a stranger whom I approach -- identifying the team as Lampard's team is immediately understood and respected.

Lampard is the league's biggest star, and, after Beckham, the league's second most famous player ever. If we want to promote this team, we as fans can't be slagging our most important player and biggest cultural asset, thereby working at cross-purposes to the best interests of the team.

It is true that Lampard cannot be at the centre of current MLS promotions because he hasn't begun appearing in games yet. But, once he arrives, all of that will change; and then we'll see the power of his presence.
Thiery henry is regarded by most as the finest player to have played in the premiership.
David Beckham wouldn't even be in the top 50.
Beckham was a celebrity that happened to play football in between advertising products.
Robbie Keane and Tim Cahill wouldn't even make the top 100 players.
In their prime lampard and Gerrard may have got in the top 10 only