From the Telegraph: Frank Lampard is the worst signing in MLS history - he must call it quits at New

Yeah!!

Stupid people doing good and whatnot.
Lion is right. Making clothes one of the best industries for poor countries. That's why all our fabric mills closed. It makes sense to manufacture clothing where the economy is poor. When you flood those countries with free stuff you just kill their local industry.

Lion is right. Making clothes one of the best industries for poor countries. That's why all our fabric mills closed. It makes sense to manufacture clothing where the economy is poor. When you flood those countries with free stuff you just kill their local industry.

I grew up in Africa. It's not as simple as you state. Local manufacturing in those economies is priced out from the start due to raw materials being cheaper in Asia. Unless there are import tariffs, they will never be competitive with the other producers. Guns and butter.

I grew up in Africa. It's not as simple as you state. Local manufacturing in those economies is priced out from the start due to raw materials being cheaper in Asia. Unless there are import tariffs, they will never be competitive with the other producers. Guns and butter.
Would you say the losing team clothing donations are clearly beneficial?
PS: I'm asking openly, not as a challenge.

It's a tough one to answer. The immediate benefit is obvious to the receiver and the donator gets gratification from that. So from an ethical point of view I like the concept and it's mutually beneficial but does not fit the development model of 3rd world giving. On the other side of the equation are a bunch of kids running around wearing red bulls shirts and I would not wish that on anyone. Ever.

I also wonder about alternatives. Is there any better option? Does every third world location have a textile industry? Their must be better and worse places to donate.

Most of the clothes made in poor countries is for export.

Do what the NFL and NBA do with the pre-printed championship tshirts and hats with the losing team on it. Donate it to some charity that sends cloths to countries that need it.

I print t-shirts for a living. The Holy Grail of my business is to see a shirt you made on some kid in a Somali warlords army.

Reactions: adam and Sabo