General MLS Discussion

As a former Clifton Parker myself, this would have been the dream when I was in high school. Instead of the Valley Cats in the summer I would have been seeing these guys play. Oh well.
It's great going to the Joe for the ValleyCats, even now. Although I must admit, it was better when they were affiliated with Houston. And that's coming from someone who despises the Astros. 😆

Reactions: CCMore
As someone from Burnt Hills, this is intriguing and a surprise. I wonder what team they'd bring in. They're already touting it as the first NY MLS stadium as they're shooting for 2026./
Just heard from one of the key investors, Jeff Buell. The team is going to be independent, so this is really intriguing now. (I told him "Cool, I can buy a hat now." 😁)

Tagging you too on this CCMore JCMore ...

Just heard from one of the key investors, Jeff Buell. The team is going to be independent, so this is really intriguing now. (I told him "Cool, I can buy a hat now." 😁)

Tagging you too on this CCMore JCMore ...
Not gonna lie your comment about the TCVC not being affiliated with the Astros any more confused me. I used to intern with the org in 2017 and haven’t paid much attention since. I didn’t know that MILB was basically folded and is now a fraction of what it used to be. So I’ve been down a MiLB rabbit hole looking up all the teams in the former NYPL seeing where they are now. As a Brooklynite now I feel like I to go to a cyclones game just to support local minor league!

But just to respond to your comment, that’s awesome for the Albany area! I hope they pick a name with some local flair instead of something like “Inter Racing Albany FC/SC United.” After the Firewolves came to town it seems like the capital region is really growing into a nice place for local sports! My only complaint is I will always be against tax payer funded sports stadiums. But I think Sheehan is a decent mayor and will work out a good deal for the city.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Not gonna lie your comment about the TCVC not being affiliated with the Astros any more confused me. I used to intern with the org in 2017 and haven’t paid much attention since. I didn’t know that MILB was basically folded and is now a fraction of what it used to be. So I’ve been down a MiLB rabbit hole looking up all the teams in the former NYPL seeing where they are now. As a Brooklynite now I feel like I to go to a cyclones game just to support local minor league!

But just to respond to your comment, that’s awesome for the Albany area! I hope they pick a name with some local flair instead of something like “Inter Racing Albany FC/SC United.” After the Firewolves came to town it seems like the capital region is really growing into a nice place for local sports! My only complaint is I will always be against tax payer funded sports stadiums. But I think Sheehan is a decent mayor and will work out a good deal for the city.
I think so too. She came over from the bean counter's office, so she had a good handle on public financing going in. That's been a huge plus.

Anyway, I was really disappointed the Mets didn't pick up the ValleyCats a couple years ago when they had the chance. I'm not sure why they didn't. It's been a productive A-ball team, the Joe is a terrific facility with great attendance, and it's a quick hop from Albany International to LaGuardia.

But the math didn't work out, I guess. Maybe there's so much salary concentration at the top needing so much revenue, there's nothing left for the minor leagues.

Really exciting development, though. That's a lot of seats, but the way MLS is pushing you never know. Getting the NWSL involved is smart, too. I'm sure there are tournament plans (remember the one Peter Clinton ran at the Commons?) and some other things in the works.

It's old-fashioned civic boosterism. Love it.

By the way, Maimonedes is a great place to take in a ballgame if you haven't been. I grew up in Brooklyn before moving to CP, and I had the chance to go to a few Cyclones games on visits home. On a nice summer night those ocean breezes are amazing at the ballpark. (Brooklyn FC will be playing there next year, too.)

Reactions: CCMore
I don't think this Albany Project is going to happen. From what I know of them, I cant see any of these principals putting up enough money to turn the concept into a reality. To me, this looks like an application to the Empire State Economic Development Fund that isnt going to be selected.

In unrelated Capital District soccer news, though, one of the girls who started playing with our program when I was President of Greenbush Soccer just got called up to the USA U-17 WNT. I was so happy to hear that -- a lot of people before during and after me put a ton of time and effort to have an affordable program with quality coaching and it is cool to have somebody go from Greenbush rec and travel to USA.

I don't think this Albany Project is going to happen. From what I know of them, I cant see any of these principals putting up enough money to turn the concept into a reality. To me, this looks like an application to the Empire State Economic Development Fund that isnt going to be selected.

In unrelated Capital District soccer news, though, one of the girls who started playing with our program when I was President of Greenbush Soccer just got called up to the USA U-17 WNT. I was so happy to hear that -- a lot of people before during and after me put a ton of time and effort to have an affordable program with quality coaching and it is cool to have somebody go from Greenbush rec and travel to USA.
Nice! It takes a lot to get called up. That's huge. Good on her, and you too, and everyone who put it together.

As to the other thing, I had the same first thought. It's a big nut for those guys. But something tells me there are deeper pockets behind this, and it may have something to do with the canal vision and the Central Warehouse project, too. Not to mention 787 and Hudson River Park and all that.

Strictly speculation. But it's only about a week since Jeff announced the Knowhere Collaborative. He always has something going, and he'd be the first to tell you it doesn't always work out, but it sure feels like something serious is cooking.

Note that the proposed stadium location is a half hour walk across the Hudson from the Amtrak station, so could see heading up there for an NYCFC II match once in a while.
This is a key point about Albany: it's the hub of a great road, rail and air network. I'm hoping it's one of the advantages MLS and the investment team is looking to leverage. It would be really easy to get to this stadium from anywhere.

(It's one of the advantages Albany should leverage, and should have leveraged, all along, but that's another matter.)

It's early so I haven't seen any names floated, but the Firebirds and Firewolves have been used, so we're probably out of fire. There's plenty of leather around, at least in some parts of Albany. (It still can get pretty funky around Lark Street.) Someone is bound to float some Knickerbocker stuff, but I think that will be a hard pass. It's passé.

The easy get would be something river or valley. Kind of blah. I'm hoping they produce a little more dash. Not to mention, I'm hoping there's more to this than aspiration.

Schenectady is called electric city, Troy is the collar city (also the troylet lol), and Albany… doesn’t really have a good nickname. It’s one of if not the oldest European built capitals in America. Online I read “Cradle of the nation” but honestly that sounds dumb and I’ve never heard that before. You could go with something like the beavers because of all the beaver pelts that were traded there lol. But other than that I got nothing

• Haha
The Albany Crooks.

There, done.
A few years ago, between election cycles, I tried to quantify the indictments of elected officials in state government. I came up with 23, including both the Republican majority leader of the state Senate and the Democratic speaker of the state Assembly. And those were just the legislators. I didn't even get into the executive branch, let alone the judiciary or the civil service.

Anyway, to this day Albany is still an old-school machine politics town. So, I'm going with that one: the Albany Machine.

A few years ago, between election cycles, I tried to quantify the indictments of elected officials in state government. I came up with 23, including both the Republican majority leader of the state Senate and the Democratic speaker of the state Assembly. And those were just the legislators. I didn't even get into the executive branch, let alone the judiciary or the civil service.

Anyway, to this day Albany is still an old-school machine politics town. So, I'm going with that one: the Albany Machine.
1000007153.jpg

Great idea!

Mean machine...mean machine...mean machine...

East Away teams won 5 games tonight including home losses by Philadelphia and Columbus who are down in spots 8 and 9 in the table. Only Away teams to lose are bottom dwellers Nashville and New England.