General MLS Discussion

Apparently Charlotte FC has specifically noted that " PSLs only apply to Bank of America Stadium and are not transferable to a new venue." There are expectations ownership will build a new stadium for both the Panthers and soccer team in 7-10 years and no current pSL rights will transfer.

Just in case NYCFC still has someone reading the forums. Don't do this if you build a SSS. PSL doesn't work for the team or the fan, just ask the NY Giants and Jets. Both teams had a long waiting list to buy season tickets. GIants had an alleged 30+ years waiting list. The old stadium had die hards, but then they built the new stadium and price gouge the fans with the PSL., and there is no longer a waiting list nor is the stadium sold out even after the year the team won the Superbowl. PSL do not work with a secondary ticket market that is on your phone. It worked in the 90s when that was not an option. It is cheaper for my firends to go to indivudla GIants games via stubhub then it is for me to pay for a full season. Fans are just going to give up their season tickets and buy individual games. Keep the guaranteed long term revenue of more season tickets, in lieu of the short term gain of PSL.

Just in case NYCFC still has someone reading the forums. Don't do this if you build a SSS. PSL doesn't work for the team or the fan, just ask the NY Giants and Jets. Both teams had a long waiting list to buy season tickets. GIants had an alleged 30+ years waiting list. The old stadium had die hards, but then they built the new stadium and price gouge the fans with the PSL., and there is no longer a waiting list nor is the stadium sold out even after the year the team won the Superbowl. PSL do not work with a secondary ticket market that is on your phone. It worked in the 90s when that was not an option. It is cheaper for my firends to go to indivudla GIants games via stubhub then it is for me to pay for a full season. Fans are just going to give up their season tickets and buy individual games. Keep the guaranteed long term revenue of more season tickets, in lieu of the short term gain of PSL.

i vaguely remember a stadium survey went out ( circa early 2016?) and one of the questions did mention PSL, and your thoughts about it. of course with no stadium news this is kind of a moot point....for now.

Reactions: Joe_Cos
Was going to the grocery store and I saw J Todd Durbin, Jeff Agoos, and two others that I couldn't identify sitting outside at a bar.
One of my fondest soccer memories was that 2002 match against Portugal. Not the greatest match for Agoos but still an incredible day for American soccer fans!

Reactions: Sabo and SoupInNYC

this is wild. i mean maybe in 2015 with the names but now? we have a depleted squad not even a full squad. they really betting on aguero magically coming in the summer? and even then the team needs more help.

Draftkings has us 6th

this is wild. i mean maybe in 2015 with the names but now? we have a depleted squad not even a full squad. they really betting on aguero magically coming in the summer? and even then the team needs more help.

Draftkings has us 6th

it's crazy. if you were to ask me, i would say we are smack dab in the middle. no better than say 12 or 13th. based on our roster and based on our past playoff performances.

what the actual fuck? Are we missing something?!

We've only lost two starters from last season -- a guy without a position, and a guy who was a liability. We absolutely need more depth, and if we get injuries to hit the squad we're in big trouble, but I don't think NYCFC is in as bad shape as many people here. We're probably going to be middle of the East at the start of the season, and if we make smart additions in the summer window, we will absolutely be in the fight come November.

We've only lost two starters from last season -- a guy without a position, and a guy who was a liability. We absolutely need more depth, and if we get injuries to hit the squad we're in big trouble, but I don't think NYCFC is in as bad shape as many people here. We're probably going to be middle of the East at the start of the season, and if we make smart additions in the summer window, we will absolutely be in the fight come November.
I agree, but "in the fight come November" does not IMO = 4th or 6th best odds to win MLS cup, and we're relying on players with a history of injuries to get through the "if we get injuries" problem.

We're missing players who scored 27% of our goals last year, including the guy without a position.
Heber has missed 35% of regular season games since he arrived. He also had a massive slump last season.
Shradi has missed 33%.
Sands, the player we're counting on to replace Ring, has missed 40% of games since becoming a starter in 2019.

Subject to injuries, and Heber recovering his touch, we are stronger only at striker. We're weaker on the wings, at LB, and as you note overall as to depth.

Again, I fully agree we can linger until we hopefully replenish the squad in June/July, but there's a lot of hope and prayer needed to rank us as high as these betting lines ATM.

are the bookies really seeing mata and ring as liabilities? that our chances "increased" by letting them go ....lol damn

I agree, but "in the fight come November" does not IMO = 4th or 6th best odds to win MLS cup, and we're relying on players with a history of injuries to get through the "if we get injuries" problem.

We're missing players who scored 27% of our goals last year, including the guy without a position.
Heber has missed 35% of regular season games since he arrived. He also had a massive slump last season.
Shradi has missed 33%.
Sands, the player we're counting on to replace Ring, has missed 40% of games since becoming a starter in 2019.

Subject to injuries, and Heber recovering his touch, we are stronger only at striker. We're weaker on the wings, at LB, and as you note overall as to depth.

Again, I fully agree we can linger until we hopefully replenish the squad in June/July, but there's a lot of hope and prayer needed to rank us as high as these betting lines ATM.

Fully agree with all of this. Plus any summer signings (aside from Santiago Rodriguez? Maybe?) are theoretical. The fact that we need to avoid injuries to guys who are injury prone is absolutely true, and probably the biggest reason to be pessimistic about the season right now.

It's crazy to call us a favorite right now. But I also don't think we'll be as bad as some on here think. Can we be top-5 in the East until June or July? And can we take off and become a real factor if we make some more signings? Maybe. I feel like NYCFC has the potential to be a good value buy, which might explain it.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Fully agree with all of this. Plus any summer signings (aside from Santiago Rodriguez? Maybe?) are theoretical. The fact that we need to avoid injuries to guys who are injury prone is absolutely true, and probably the biggest reason to be pessimistic about the season right now.

It's crazy to call us a favorite right now. But I also don't think we'll be as bad as some on here think. Can we be top-5 in the East until June or July? And can we take off and become a real factor if we make some more signings? Maybe. I feel like NYCFC has the potential to be a good value buy, which might explain it.
I don’t see how we are better without Mitri, Mata and Ring even with their downsides. It takes away the depth that many people raved about. The NYCFC “engine” (Maxi) is another year older on the downside of a career and probably not any better at taking penalties. Heber is a question at this point and injuries are a big concern. HELLO TONY and GUDI! Also Ronny is still our coach. Unless RBNY, Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. didn’t improve. It’s hard to think top five is in the cards this season. This team has been slow to start the season over the last couple years and whatever reinforcements come in the summer better be game changers.
I hope I’m completely wrong and the roster is competitive and capable of winning as is.
Jonesin for NYCFC soccer.

Reactions: moogoo
I don’t see how we are better without Mitri, Mata and Ring even with their downsides. It takes away the depth that many people raved about. The NYCFC “engine” (Maxi) is another year older on the downside of a career and probably not any better at taking penalties. Heber is a question at this point and injuries are a big concern. HELLO TONY and GUDI! Also Ronny is still our coach. Unless RBNY, Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. didn’t improve. It’s hard to think top five is in the cards this season. This team has been slow to start the season over the last couple years and whatever reinforcements come in the summer better be game changers.
I hope I’m completely wrong and the roster is competitive and capable of winning as is.
Jonesin for NYCFC soccer.

I was only talking about Ring and Matarrita. We're worse without Mitrita for sure.

Ring didn't have a position, and Matarrita was a complete liability in big games. Their losses do not materially impact our chances. We are worse, on paper, than we were at the end of the season. But that team was one of the best teams in MLS since they returned to local markets. Behind only Philly, I think.

There are some major question marks, no doubt about it. But even with all those issues that were also there late last season, we were still peeling results off. So if this group can tread water until the summer -- remember, there are going to be a lot more games after reinforcements get here than in a normal season since we're starting six weeks late. I figure maybe somewhere around 10 games by June 1 at the most, then perhaps they might even pause for the tournaments ... there will be plenty of time for the reinforcements to make an impact.

I don't think this team will be competing for a Supporters' Shield, but if we make some summer signings and get a favorable playoff draw, we could absolutely make noise. I'm not necessarily counting on it, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Sabo and moogoo

LMAO i love this:
Yes, I do realize Atlanta are only in this thing once, but it’s fun to include them in things for SEO and internet comment purposes.
6. An MLS team will release a delightfully terrible “Team Anthem”
I have no proof for this, which is why it’s so high on the Bold-o-meter. But I feel this one in my bones. You may not think you want it but we’ll all be better for it thanks to how much collective grief we’ll have from it. This is how communities are built.

It won’t be that team’s fault, though. They’ll be riding the all-encompassing feelings of optimism the world will be feeling as we lurch out of the pandemic and someone, pure of heart, will walk into the office one day and say “this team needs a song.” They’ll call up the guy who played bass for Dave Matthews Band and say “work your magic.” And after an all-night jam session fueled by reruns of Frasier and La Croix, he’ll finally have a breakthrough and return with a song called “Hearts on Fire, Scarves in the Air (Late on Rent)." He’ll put down his boombox in the team office, slide in the demo cassette, smile and hit play knowing the world will never be the same.