Hearts Of Oak

Hearts of Oak is putting on a theater performance?

"Fleeing an arranged marriage, Princess Alvida commandeers a pirate vessel and assembles an unlikely crew of laundry women, seamstresses, and cooks. As she struggles with opposing roles – pirate and princess – her betrothed finds himself falling for a woman he's barely met. Shanties and swordfights frame this theatrical tale of love on the high seas..."

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/events/2015/02/27/Heart_of_Oak.html

How does that fit in?

(This is coming from me, not a statement by HoO... just my take!)

The inspiration for the name wasn't just the Hamilton militia. We found Blackbeard's crew referencing "hearts of oak", and we're pretty convinced Hamilton himself was a bit of a pirate (I've lived in St. Kitts and Nevis - Hamilton grew up on Nevis - and some of the stories are incredible!). It's something referenced over and over in pirate and old nautical stories.

I know a few of the members love the irish HoO story, and other members prefer the times it's referenced in the Odyssey. Or Aeneas.

Nobody really cared about the Ghanaian football club....hahaha.. but we do now!

Anyway - the big idea was that it was a term that almost always was used to inspire and to unite. Usually against a pretty incredible challenge.... regardless of the group that attached themselves to the name. It's not so much about any one specific group, but more about what the name means. The cool part, is that as it evolves, it means different awesome things to different members.

This is solid gold. Bra-fucking-vo to you, young lady.

Also, I'm sort of pissed that HoO isn't a country club. Maybe I should re-boot NYCFC Social Supporters as a country club. I do look fucking killer in a v neck pullover. And my loafers have been known to make certain female undergarments particularly susceptible to the force of gravity.

;)

(This is coming from me, not a statement by HoO... just my take!)

The inspiration for the name wasn't just the Hamilton militia. We found Blackbeard's crew referencing "hearts of oak", and we're pretty convinced Hamilton himself was a bit of a pirate (I've lived in St. Kitts and Nevis - Hamilton grew up on Nevis - and some of the stories are incredible!). It's something referenced over and over in pirate and old nautical stories.

I know a few of the members love the irish HoO story, and other members prefer the times it's referenced in the Odyssey. Or Aeneas.

Nobody really cared about the Ghanaian football club....hahaha.. but we do now!

Anyway - the big idea was that it was a term that almost always was used to inspire and to unite. Usually against a pretty incredible challenge.... regardless of the group that attached themselves to the name. It's not so much about any one specific group, but more about what the name means. The cool part, is that as it evolves, it means different awesome things to different members.
I really like the part where you undersell your expectations.

Reactions: johnny_f
I really like the part where you undersell your expectations.

Hahahaha!

It's less about expectations, and more about different avenues for everyone to play with. There are 4 or 5 awesomely talented artists on board, and there's an endless source of inspiration for songs, schwag, and whatever else.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Hearts of Oak is putting on a theater performance?

"Fleeing an arranged marriage, Princess Alvida commandeers a pirate vessel and assembles an unlikely crew of laundry women, seamstresses, and cooks. As she struggles with opposing roles – pirate and princess – her betrothed finds himself falling for a woman he's barely met. Shanties and swordfights frame this theatrical tale of love on the high seas..."

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/events/2015/02/27/Heart_of_Oak.html

How does that fit in?

Darn - this is too melodramatic for me -its like a soap opera

Really dig the name, the logo, and the idea behind it. But it seems like I'll never get in with the strict member requirements.

Still looking for the right SG to join. Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is NYCFC Social still around?

Really dig the name, the logo, and the idea behind it. But it seems like I'll never get in with the strict member requirements.

Still looking for the right SG to join. Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is NYCFC Social still around?

You know the requirements that spread all over the internet aren't the actual requirements now, right? We've had a few forums guys join recently, feel free to ask them how easy it is. :)

Attachments

• HeartsOfOakApp.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 82
You know the requirements that spread all over the internet aren't the actual requirements now, right? We've had a few forums guys join recently, feel free to ask them how easy it is. :)

Oh awesome. I think I might apply. Are there any member requirements after joining, and what are the benefits of the SG?

Last edited:

I suppose, to the extent that we were ever "around". My whole deal was that i just wanted a social experience and leave the hardcore stuff to other people. With other groups more or less filling that niche in a more active way, I just kind of let go of the reins except for Twitter with the expectation that I'd pick things up again with the season.

I want it to be more active, but I started a new business before the new supporter group and sadly don't have time to be focused in organizing. I saw it just as a way to facilitate meeting new soccer buddies for all interested. The good thing about Social is its buffet approach - do what you want, we just want to connect the more "reserved" folks with each other. Heck, everyone can call themselves president if they want. I just haven't had the time to pump up / pimp out Social in a meaningful way.

Shoot me a pm if you want to be involved and we can really crank. Aren't you a graphics guy? If we put together some swag, we'll be as far along as anyone else.

And now I'm going to apologize for posting in the HoO thread. Although, I'd like to think that our beer drinking buddies email list isn't the "supporter group" that HoO had in mind when asking for monogamy. Social is like looking at pictures of naked ladies - it can't really be cheating.

So short answer is yes, it's around. Beyond that, let's take the convo over to that forum or pm and discuss further.

Oh awesome. I think I might apply. Are there any member requirements after joining, and what are the benefits of the SG?
All we ask from our fellow members, support NYCFC. Respect each other and our fellow supporter groups. We aren't looking for Ultras and we aren't expecting our members to be passionate for 90 minutes. However, we are also not going to keep members from supporting as they see fit. What is important to us is camaraderie. Whether you are going to events or being active on social media, it builds bonds between our members that will hopefully exist well beyond matchday.

We should also add: memberships with Social Clubs are fine. 90% of our members are currently involved in Brown Bag SC and/or Friends of Footy.

I just joined and am official HoO now. Great group! Not as hard to join as Internet rumors make out. Nothing country club or exclusive at all. If you're on the forums a lot, care about the team in a public way, and are not a a-hole; very good chance of admission. If you're an unknown, they might vet a bit more, but I can't speak to that since I only have my personal experience to go on, and it was a fun one. Once you're in, tight knit and accepting group that all jokes around without any internet wars or drama, they all know it's all in good fun. What's more to say? Come out to an event and see what happens.

All we ask from our fellow members, support NYCFC. Respect each other and our fellow supporter groups. We aren't looking for Ultras and we aren't expecting our members to be passionate for 90 minutes. However, we are also not going to keep members from supporting as they see fit. What is important to us is camaraderie. Whether you are going to events or being active on social media, it builds bonds between our members that will hopefully exist well beyond matchday.

We should also add: memberships with Social Clubs are fine. 90% of our members are currently involved in Brown Bag SC and/or Friends of Footy.

Sounds good. Email sent to you in 3...2...1...