Home - 03/15 New England Revolution

View attachment 1945

For Sunday this is my Starting XI. Brovsky out and Wingert slides over to LB. Facey will slide into that CB spot alongside Hernandez who had a pretty strong game. Ballouchy out and Shelton in out wide. Nemec will be subbed off for Mullins/Taylor at some point in the 2nd half and possibly Calle coming on for more than 5 minutes like last game against Orlando
I think this is closer to what we will see. I don't see him sitting Nemec already. He did a lot as far as winning balls in the air was concerned. He's just VERY stationary and couldn't give Villa any space. That's why when Shelton came in and started roaming and making the runs up the right side and even down the middle it opened up Villa a lot.

Reactions: Vito
I'm nervous about Shelton getting a starting spot. He seems like a prime super-sub to me: burst of rookie energy off the bench but a guy that would fizzle over 90 minutes.

As long as Brovsky and Ballouchy don't make the starting XI, I'm happy. They were awful yesterday.

Kreis needs to get over his boner for Ballouchy. I get that he's a "safe" starter, but he does nothing. He's a backup that you don't need to worry about if he's forced into action, but he should not be out there willingly.

I'm ready to say Brovsky shouldn't be back next year. (Overreaction much? lol) Our fullbacks are such a concern that we opened in a flat 4-4-2 because we can't rely on them for width. Then again, we tried to rely on Grabavoy and Looch for width? C'mon Kreis, that's silly.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Kreis needs to get over his boner for Ballouchy. I get that he's a "safe" starter, but he does nothing. He's a backup that you don't need to worry about if he's forced into action, but he should not be out there willingly.

I'm ready to say Brovsky shouldn't be back next year. (Overreaction much? lol) Our fullbacks are such a concern that we opened in a flat 4-4-2 because we can't rely on them for width. Then again, we tried to rely on Grabavoy and Looch for width? C'mon Kreis, that's silly.

Kreis went VERY safe yesterday. It was clear from his comments that he was very worried about the nerves of opening up in front of 60k+. I'm a little disappointed in that approach; we played scared, even a man and goal up. Hopefully with that test out of the way we can see improvement this week.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the word SAFE. He's starting a safe lineup so if we lost he can say I put the trust in my veterans to take control of the game. Going forward we might have to make some changes.
Rather than starting his skilled younger players and having to make excuses for it if there was mental mistakes and such.

I want to see Facey in there. I like how Nemec's hold-up play, but he clogs up the offense. I am torn about Khiry starting. I get that he is an impact sub, but he brings so much to the team. I say give Mullins the start vs his old team to see if it inspires him and bring Khiry around 60-70 minutes. Ballouchy has to sit.

Being home and NE not looking good, I think allows Kreis to take more chances.

I hate hate hate the idea of Shelton in the midfield. Every time I have seen him there he looks lost. Last night he came in and we switched to a 4-3-3, and that worked, but weakens our midfield. Put him up top with villa and let them both work their magic off each other.

I would seriously consider a fullback for our DP3. It is our weakest position BY FAR. And strangely one that Kreis relies on with his diamond. Or give Facey a run out there. Because I don;t trust wingert there, he looks slow as hell. Its like Kreis didn't realize his boys aged a year and a half since he saw them last.

Reactions: whill4
If anyone bought single game tickets for this match and opted to have them mailed, you should have them by the end of the week.

I bought a pair off Ticketmaster and I didn't realize the team put a hold on sending out tickets until after 3/1. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

Anyhoo......I emailed NYCFC and asked when they were being printed and shipped and they kindly replied a few minutes ago with the info I mentioned above.

NOTE TO SELF: Next game, print them at home.
Tickets in hand. *phew*

I hate hate hate the idea of Shelton in the midfield. Every time I have seen him there he looks lost. Last night he came in and we switched to a 4-3-3, and that worked, but weakens our midfield. Put him up top with villa and let them both work their magic off each other.

I would seriously consider a fullback for our DP3. It is our weakest position BY FAR. And strangely one that Kreis relies on with his diamond. Or give Facey a run out there. Because I don;t trust wingert there, he looks slow as hell. Its like Kreis didn't realize his boys aged a year and a half since he saw them last.

I read somewhere that Shay Facey prefers right fullback to right center back ... so that could work; however, I don't know where Williams would play then.

I think I would go with:

-------------------Villa----------Nemec---------------------
-----------Calle---------------------Grabavoy---------------
--------------------Jacobson---Diskerud-------------------
-----Facey-----Mendoza----Hernandez----Williams-----
--------------------------Saunders----------------------------

Wouldn't mind Wingert in for Mendoza or Facey, and I may be willing to give Nemec one more week to prove something but wouldn't mind seeing Shelton, Mullins, or Taylor in for him. Ballouchy has to sit as well, and Calle was the first guy who came to mind for him.

View attachment 1945

For Sunday this is my Starting XI. Brovsky out and Wingert slides over to LB. Facey will slide into that CB spot alongside Hernandez who had a pretty strong game. Ballouchy out and Shelton in out wide. Nemec will be subbed off for Mullins/Taylor at some point in the 2nd half and possibly Calle coming on for more than 5 minutes like last game against Orlando
This was the lineup I was going to suggest/predict. Nemec was still in for the goal. Speed and width might give him more aerial opportunities in the box. Also, everyone is hating on Ballouchy, not that I'm a fan, but does anyone remember if he was the one that served up Nemec's first scoring opp'y, the header that went wide right?

This was the lineup I was going to suggest/predict. Nemec was still in for the goal. Speed and width might give him more aerial opportunities in the box. Also, everyone is hating on Ballouchy, not that I'm a fan, but does anyone remember if he was the one that served up Nemec's first scoring opp'y, the header that went wide right?
That was Williams I believe

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Besides the match (is there such a thing?)

I am 90% about the 90+ minutes of the match (5% pre-game build-up and 5% post-game analysis) but this Sunday I am bringing family members who enjoy soccer but not as fanatically as I do (principally my 11 year old daughter). For my family's sake, I wanted to know about any other festivities planned for Sunday (besides Ashanti singing the national anthem). I thought NYCFC / Third Rail might have a couple special activities planned for the day -- since it is the first home game in franchise history -- that I could share with my family members but I have not seen any announcements yet.

Personally, I'm just hoping for a well-played game and three points for the home side, but I thought I would ask if anyone in the forum knew of activities / plans for Sunday. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotham Gator
The team I would like to see is

Saunders

Williams Facey Hernandez Brandt (if fit)

Poku Jacobsen Calle

Diskerund

Shelton Villa

Subs: Fitzgerald, Mendoza, Wingert, Velasquez, McNamara, Taylor, Nemec

I would have Jacobsen as the holding midfielder and Poku and Calle in front of him who would support the front three. Mix would have a free role and link up with Shelton and Villa who can go wide or down the middle creating space for the midfield.

We need a system that gives us flexibility and movement in the advanced areas, and players who can add pace and energy.

New England is going to be very similar to Orlando in the attacking half of the field. They'll run a lot of stuff through Nguyen just like Orlando does with Kaka. Their F will either be Charlie Davies or Aguedelo. If its Davies, he'll be very similar to Rivas from Orlando. Has a lot of pace and will try to make runs along our back line to run onto through balls. Farrell played CB last game for NE so we don't have to worry as much about his overlapping runs down the wing. Bunbury may be out with an injury that he picked up against Seattle and Jones may still be out after having a surgery a month ago. Offensively for us Farrell might have a tough time dealing with Nemec and his size so playing in crosses from the wings will put us at an advantage.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
New England is going to be very similar to Orlando in the attacking half of the field. They'll run a lot of stuff through Nguyen just like Orlando does with Kaka. Their F will either be Charlie Davies or Aguedelo. If its Davies, he'll be very similar to Rivas from Orlando. Has a lot of pace and will try to make runs along our back line to run onto through balls. Farrell played CB last game for NE so we don't have to worry as much about his overlapping runs down the wing. Bunbury may be out with an injury that he picked up against Seattle and Jones may still be out after having a surgery a month ago. Offensively for us Farrell might have a tough time dealing with Nemec and his size so playing in crosses from the wings will put us at an advantage.
I agree. We are catching the Revs at time. They will be a challenge, but this team lost a bunch of games in row last year before JJ arrived... even with Nguyen playing out of his mind. I wouldn't expect Lee to play a full 90 and JJ and now Bunbury look to out for the game. So let's get the home crowd advantage and win this!