Home - 05/07 Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait. We're terrible at that, too. Kenwyne Jones is a fantasy must play this week. We haven't cleared a cross in 3 years.

Can Atlanta press too? If so NYCFC is totally screwed.

Seriously, I can think of at least 3 goals from mistakes in possession in the back (SJ, DCU - Sam, CLB - Kamara). They've also given up a ton of goals on crosses (Larin, Larin, Higuain, etc...)

Can Atlanta press too? If so NYCFC is totally screwed.

Seriously, I can think of at least 3 goals from mistakes in possession in the back (SJ, DCU - Sam, CLB - Kamara). They've also given up a ton of goals on crosses (Larin, Larin, Higuain, etc...)
Those are all the mistake in the back goals. 3 of our 9 GAs. Urena had the one for SJ. I don't know about the crosses.

Those are all the mistake in the back goals. 3 of our 9 GAs. Urena had the one for SJ. I don't know about the crosses.

The two goals by Larin last week and Higuain's were on crosses. That makes six...I think the other three were not:

Oduro against run of play for MTL
Rebound which Acosta finished for DCU
Larin's goal in the opener that was a ball to the back post. I guess you could technically call that a cross but it was more a ball in from top of the area not a cross from the wing.

So yeah, 66% of goals against on either mistakes or wing crosses. Yikes.

The two goals by Larin last week and Higuain's were on crosses. That makes six...I think the other three were not:

Oduro against run of play for MTL
Rebound which Acosta finished for DCU
Larin's goal in the opener that was a ball to the back post. I guess you could technically call that a cross but it was more a ball in from top of the area not a cross from the wing.

So yeah, 66% of goals against on either mistakes or wing crosses. Yikes.
I'm not as bothered by the crosses. Yes they could be a good target for reduction but we have significantly reduced our GA. We've given up no Corner or Free Kick goals to date. We're in top 5 or so for GA overall. The ugly mistake in the back goals are distressing but other than that I don't have a preference for what form our GAs take.

This will be Sean John's opportunity to win a game for us. In addition to the usual couple of play from the back blunders, he is going to face intense pressure in stretches. Hamid came up big today and gave Acosta a chance to pick his spots. Sean John will have to do the same. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

Reactions: canchon and Ulrich
This will be Sean John's opportunity to win a game for us. In addition to the usual couple of play from the back blunders, he is going to face intense pressure in stretches. Hamid came up big today and gave Acosta a chance to pick his spots. Sean John will have to do the same. It will be nervy & nauseating to see how it plays out.
This may be more accurate.

Reactions: JayH
I'm not as bothered by the crosses. Yes they could be a good target for reduction but we have significantly reduced our GA. We've given up no Corner or Free Kick goals to date. We're in top 5 or so for GA overall. The ugly mistake in the back goals are distressing but other than that I don't have a preference for what form our GAs take.
I'm curious if we give up more crosses than average teams or defend them more poorly. Or even how many goals on crosses other teams give up. It would be painful to mine the data manually though.

I'm curious if we give up more crosses than average teams or defend them more poorly. Or even how many goals on crosses other teams give up. It would be painful to mine the data manually though.
I don't know how you would do it short of watching video of every goal and making your own list. The people who already track every goal with analysis are the xGoals people, and I doubt they share raw data. Plus, their models are based on where the shot was taken and I don't think it matters how it got there, so they might not even know if it's a turnover, cross, dribble, etc.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Not sure why everyone is quaking in their boots about Atlanta. Yes, they are a good team, and are doing surprisingly well for an expansion team. Still, they are behind us in the table, and we are playing at home. This is a game we should expect to win.
Results and standings aside, they provide a much different look than our previous opponents. They will place our midfielders and back line under immense pressure, and it will be interesting to see (1) how PV attempts to neutralize it, and (2) how we will respond to it. This game is our most interesting Xs and Os puzzle so far.

Not sure why everyone is quaking in their boots about Atlanta. Yes, they are a good team, and are doing surprisingly well for an expansion team. Still, they are behind us in the table, and we are playing at home. This is a game we should expect to win.

Because the MLS hype train has been in overdrive about Atlanta being MLS 3.0 and they had several big wins early (destroying Minnesota and Chicago). The hype train has already crowned them best expansion team in history.
The narrative is: "Almiron! Villalba! Martinez! 50k fans per game! OMG they are the new model!"

What we do know about ATL is that they have a lot of talent going forward (even w/o Martinez - Jones is a beast just like that Larin guy who is NYC's papa). They also like to control the ball but surprisingly score a lot of goals on transition. You could see them swarming Pirlo (cough) and creating havoc with midfield turnovers, down the wing to their skill players for Jones to slam it in. There is cause for concern.

But man, ATL got totally MLS'd against DCU - I bet if you went to the ATL forums their fans would sound a lot like us over the last few weeks: "we created so much and dominated but couldn't finish."

This will be Sean John's opportunity to win a game for us. In addition to the usual couple of play from the back blunders, he is going to face intense pressure in stretches. Hamid came up big today and gave Acosta a chance to pick his spots. Sean John will have to do the same. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

The Milkman won us Columbus game. That save vs. Ola Kamara should be save of the week.

well i hope herrera starts since hes gonna be gone for the U20 WC....hes gonna miss out on the most crucial part of May games with all those midweek games

I don't know anything about Atlanta, so I checked out their whoscored page.

upload_2017-5-1_10-53-44.png

They really have no impressive games. They crushed Minnesota when everyone was crushing them, and they crushed Chicago before Schweinsteiger arrived. Otherwise they've drawn Toronto and seattle, and lost to two shitty teams in Montreal and DC.

Here's us btw:
upload_2017-5-1_10-57-5.png

I'll take that matchup and won;t be scared. As was said, we are not the underdogs in this game, by far. I'll be surprised if we don't score a lot. Defense is the hardest thing to get right in an expansion side.

Status
Not open for further replies.