Home 08/20 Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at the City in the Boroughs Manhattan event, Patricof said this match would be our Pride Game (obviously because we're playing Robbie Rogers). Anyone know of what's being planned by the club for the game?

Don't worry, they won't be messing it up because they won't actually be doing much of anything. At City in the Boroughs they all seemed very interested when I asked about it, and I even got a follow up DM on twitter about how they'd like to pick my brain, with an exchange of contact info. Never heard from them again. After searching around doing due diligence to make sure I hadn't missed anything (I hadn't), I asked what was being planned since I hadn't heard back, nor had I seen any advertisements. The response was basically a referral to NY Ramblers, an awesome LGBTQ soccer organization that also has a scholarship fund ($2,500 scholarship). They are running a pre-game in Hell's Kitchen, a trip to the game, and a picnic the following day, with all proceeds going to the scholarship fund.

NYCFC is listed as a partner on their website, and what NY Ramblers is doing is awesome, so I don't want to come off as tarnishing them in any way. But it seems like this is an independent NY Ramblers event moreso than an NYCFC Pride Night. There is no promotion from NYCFC. There is no real acknowledgement from NYCFC. Look at what LA, Seattle, and Orlando have done (http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...e-sounders-and-more-mls-clubs-celebrate-pride) by comparison.

Now, unless they're holding back from announcing some really cool and inclusive stuff to really wow us at the game, this sounds like a complete non-event. I was very much looking forward to see what they might have planned knowing that there would be such a large audience (if they had even followed up, I had really thought out some ideas), and I don't know what the details of NYCFC's partnership with NY Ramblers are, but if actions don't match words, then I can't help but feel as if I'll be extremely disappointed.

Last edited:
Don't worry, they won't be messing it up because they won't actually doing much of anything. At City in the Boroughs they all seemed very interested when I asked about it, and I even got a follow up DM on twitter about how they'd like to pick my brain, with an exchange of contact info. Never heard from them again. After searching around doing due diligence to make sure I hadn't missed anything (I hadn't), I asked what was being planned since I hadn't heard back, nor had I seen any advertisements. The response was basically a referral to NY Ramblers, an awesome LGBTQ soccer organization that also has a scholarship fund ($2,500 scholarship). They are running a pre-game in Hell's Kitchen, a trip to the game, and a picnic the following day, with all proceeds going to the scholarship fund.

NYCFC is listed as a partner on their website, and what NY Ramblers is doing is awesome, so I don't want to come off as tarnishing them in any way. But it seems like this is an independent NY Ramblers event moreso than an NYCFC Pride Night. There is no promotion from NYCFC. There is no real acknowledgement from NYCFC. Look at what LA, Seattle, and Orlando have done (http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...e-sounders-and-more-mls-clubs-celebrate-pride) by comparison.

Now, unless they're holding back from announcing some really cool and inclusive stuff to really wow us at the game, this sounds like a complete non-event. I was very much looking forward to see what they might have planned knowing that there would be such a large audience (if they had even followed up, I had really thought out some ideas), and I don't know what the details of NYCFC's partnership with NY Ramblers are, but if actions don't match words, then I can't help but feel as if I'll be extremely disappointed.

Thanks for the thorough update. I hope every word of it is untrue. This team sometimes.

Reactions: Goodfella
http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2016/08/17/bruce-arena-rules-brian-rowe-out-nycfc-match-insider

Rowe out. So NYCFC will be up against Dan Kennedy who is their second string keeper, but was actually their first string keeper before being injured and losing the job to Rowe.

Although Rowe will be unable to play, Arena refused to declare either of his two backup goalkeepers, Dan Kennedy or Clement Diop as the starter.

Some Galaxy pundits think that Los Dos Keeper Diop may start.

Got my ticket. Funnily my dad got a promo code though the Yankees (which I don't think i got despite having been to several actual NYCFC matches these last two year) so I got a good deal. Will be my first match since the 2-2 with Orlando. Can't miss the most star studded match up in MLS.

Some Galaxy pundits think that Los Dos Keeper Diop may start.

He's been my bargain bin backup fantasy keeper all season, will be interesting to put a face to a non-performing name. But hoping he get lit up, so I'll be sticking with Blake between the sticks. :D

Reactions: JayH
I think it's more about the financial situation of the Third Rail and the ability and time to make them.

Our finances are fine. The time and energy required to produce them is a huge thing though. Take the INCREDIBLE tifo that was done for the RB game for example. That was a first of it's kind 3 "panel" scrolling tifo. You know how many people made that happen? Six. They spend insane hours doing the actual WORK of making the large tifo happen. I don't blame them for pacing themselves. If people want more large format tifo... GET INVOLVED!

Is the Third Rail still a going concern? I might be going to the away match at the Revs in September and went to look for supporters tickets but the latest one is from from early July. So then I went to the Third Rail forum to ask about it but the forum's sort of, well, gone. There's still tweets going out but I think I've gotten maybe one email from them for the whole summer. I'm a happy member but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on lately.

Fuck no. I don't give a shit what anybody says, we are changing the game. The only "concern" should be keeping up. The forums are gone because they were a waste of money. Almost nobody used them so I cut the cord. If you want to be in tune with what we're doing on a regular basis, go to our private facebook group, our member management platform or our website; get involved in a chapter. Saying there's not a whole lot going on is wholly inaccurate. Just in the last 30 days or so:

- We threw an inter SG tailgate at RBA. Complete with a DJ, 6 kegs, hot dogs, burgers, etc. cooking on 4 grills. We rush ordered blue Solo cups... because fuck red. Zero cost to supporters, regardless of affiliation.

- We put a Third Rail snapchat filter over the entirety of RBA. First time ever done.

- We produced a derby t-shirt.

- We produced a Pride Night t-shirt. All proceeds (after costs) will go to New York Ramblers Soccer.

- We had a small group of members attend an exclusive Audi Player Index event at Chelsea Piers.

- We became the first SG ever to have a direct relationship with Topps trading cards.

- We supported NYC Soccer Initiative.

- We supported South Bronx United's charity cup and fielded a team (TRNJ) that placed 3rd in the tournament.

- We donated 40 tickets to the Tickets for Troops charity.

- We produced the first in a series of collectible button pins. Second set is complete and will go on sale in the next two weeks or so.
trbuttons.jpg

That's for starters. We have other things in the works, especially charity initiatives, that we can't wait to reveal.

So yeah...

Our finances are fine. The time and energy required to produce them is a huge thing though. Take the INCREDIBLE tifo that was done for the RB game for example. That was a first of it's kind 3 "panel" scrolling tifo. You know how many people made that happen? Six. They spend insane hours doing the actual WORK of making the large tifo happen. I don't blame them for pacing themselves. If people want more large format tifo... GET INVOLVED!

Fuck no. I don't give a shit what anybody says, we are changing the game. The only "concern" should be keeping up. The forums are gone because they were a waste of money. Almost nobody used them so I cut the cord. If you want to be in tune with what we're doing on a regular basis, go to our private facebook group, our member management platform or our website; get involved in a chapter. Saying there's not a whole lot going on is wholly inaccurate. Just in the last 30 days or so:

- We threw an inter SG tailgate at RBA. Complete with a DJ, 6 kegs, hot dogs, burgers, etc. cooking on 4 grills. We rush ordered blue Solo cups... because fuck red. Zero cost to supporters, regardless of affiliation.

- We put a Third Rail snapchat filter over the entirety of RBA. First time ever done.

- We produced a derby t-shirt.

- We produced a Pride Night t-shirt. All proceeds (after costs) will go to New York Ramblers Soccer.

- We had a small group of members attend an exclusive Audi Player Index event at Chelsea Piers.

- We became the first SG ever to have a direct relationship with Topps trading cards.

- We supported NYC Soccer Initiative.

- We supported South Bronx United's charity cup and fielded a team (TRNJ) that placed 3rd in the tournament.

- We donated 40 tickets to the Tickets for Troops charity.

- We produced the first in a series of collectible button pins. Second set is complete and will go on sale in the next two weeks or so.
View attachment 5586

That's for starters. We have other things in the works, especially charity initiatives, that we can't wait to reveal.

So yeah...
And don't forget the new catchy song that the stadium identifies with and actually joins in on :) that's the first thing you should highlight!

Please please please push the Sesame Street Villa chant that was published on the forum!!!

And don't forget the new catchy song that the stadium identifies with and actually joins in on :) that's the first thing you should highlight!

Please please please push the Sesame Street Villa chant that was published on the forum!!!

I don't know who started that song but it wasn't TR.

Reactions: joe

So yeah...

Great stuff! That's quite a list of things getting done and I would challenge any other SG in MLS to rattle off a laundry list of accomplishments like that over the course of 1-2 months.

On the TIFO topic, I don't think people have an appreciation for what goes into it from a personal time commitment not to mention getting the space and materials to do it. Keep in mind that TR is an organization just over 2 years old. To have pulled off what they have thus far in their infancy is admirable and a credit to the commitment of their members and leadership.

Note: I'm not a TR member.

Ok thought so.
I asked because I remembered this video that Gotham Gator Gotham Gator posted in the Rapids pre-match thread which was published by TR Light Rail. I'm not sure if they are affiliated directly or indirectly with TR.
http://www.nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/home-7-30-colorado.4712/page-6#post-154953
The song originated (or really, "caught on") during the Philly game, and then the idea to have it spread across the stadium came for the Colorado match. Not sure where the idea came from of the song itself (and I know some other teams use a different version of it as well).

Great stuff! That's quite a list of things getting done and I would challenge any other SG in MLS to rattle off a laundry list of accomplishments like that over the course of 1-2 months.

On the TIFO topic, I don't think people have an appreciation for what goes into it from a personal time commitment not to mention getting the space and materials to do it. Keep in mind that TR is an organization just over 2 years old. To have pulled off what they have thus far in their infancy is admirable and a credit to the commitment of their members and leadership.

There is a ton of work that goes into the TIFO. I helped paint the one for the home opener and was only there for one day of painting, in which there were probably around 10 or so people there. But I believe there was a weekend full of painting, a full weekend full of tracing, and then obviously design, procurement of supplies, and a lot else that needs to go into it.

Its really probably close to a month-long process, and when you get into the thick of the season (as well as summers when everyone has lots going on) it can be really difficult to coordinate such a huge effort.

I'm not a TR member either..... but in college I was in a Fraternity and I did undertake a number of Tifo-like projects for parties & events, and I would imagine the construction of such hasn't changed much outside of what materials are used - but the methods of organization should be the same.

Back then we sowed king-sized sheets together, and I'm assuming plastic is now used? Actually, the "we" was me going to the local High school and asking their HomeEc teacher if they'd like to sow them for us as practice using the sowing machine - they always were happy to do it. I then got a few groups of 4-6 people together to run shifts for painting the stenciled design - it's amazing what free beer will do to rustle up volunteers, although I imagine that today's upwardly-mobile hipster/professional needs a craft whiskey to nip on as an alternative.... Anyway, the painting always finished over a weekend of two full afternoons.

The difference between my experience and what I'm sure the TR is experiencing is that we all now have far less time available to devote to painting that we did in college - I have zero time as a father unless my toddler is planning to do the same activity with me.... but I'm also not in my mid twenties living the spontaneous city-life that is so readily available. So my point is that there could be ways to cut down on the "construction" time by enlisting local resources (mine being the High school) and bribing.

Or what if TR approached NYCFC management and asked if they'd throw in some player access to the people that create the Tifo for a game? It costs the club nothing, and it could uncover a number of supporters that would make extra time in order to get some facetime with the players. Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.