Home - 10/31 Philadelphia - Knockout Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, it does say it. And DC is playing at 8 (the next day). what the heck, why can't we be 8?

Bc Dallas is central time and LA is Pacific time. Dallas at 9:30 Wednesday is 7:30 there. LA at 10:30 is 7:30 there.

I wonder why we couldn’t be Thursday at 8 pm instead of Wednesday at 7... also interesting that regardless of Wednesday or Thursday, the first match of the conf semis is next Sunday. So assuming we advance, that extra day might be useful to our old guys like Villa.

I wonder why we couldn’t be Thursday at 8 pm instead of Wednesday at 7... also interesting that regardless of Wednesday or Thursday, the first match of the conf semis is next Sunday. So assuming we advance, that extra day might be useful to our old guys like Villa.

We also wouldn’t have to travel for that Sunday Match vs Atlanta.

The Halloween thing is really dumb... I know that people will say NFL on Thanksgiving or NBA on Xmas but you could work your day around those start times.... you have a major conflict with an evening start time on an evening oriented holiday. I'm out for this game......

I understand the people saying they don't like the Halloween game. But the ones saying it was ignorant, dumb, and should have been avoided are kind of ridiculous. Please explain how to move it, taking into account all the other MLS playoff games, TV interests, etc. Do they play Tuesday instead? On one day rest? Or does MLS play 4 games on Thursday? If so, how are they scheduled so it's both convenient for fans and good for TV? Or do you play the knockouts Thursday and Friday, which would also cause some teams to play Sunday again on 2 days rest?

I understand the people saying they don't like the Halloween game. But the ones saying it was ignorant, dumb, and should have been avoided are kind of ridiculous. Please explain how to move it, taking into account all the other MLS playoff games, TV interests, etc. Do they play Tuesday instead? On one day rest? Or does MLS play 4 games on Thursday? If so, how are they scheduled so it's both convenient for fans and good for TV? Or do you play the knockouts Thursday and Friday, which would also cause some teams to play Sunday again on 2 days rest?
I agree here, just not a lot that can be done. Midweek games in general suck, I can’t imagine a lot of kids would be able to show up anyway.

Today's games never had to be today. There are two days in a weekend. They could have played Yesterday(Saturday) instead of today as decision day. They then could have had Tuesday/Thursday matches. Give the #3 seed the chance of having the most rest for next weekends game if they can win Tuesday - that at least makes being the higher seed more valuable.

The argument could be made that yesterday is college football, but today is Pro football with most cities with pro teams also having MLS teams, so *moving* them (Sunday->Saturday) would have made more sense attendance-wise.

Edited: changed splitting to moving because I realized it didn’t convey what I meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Today's games never had to be today. There are two days in a weekend. They could have played Yesterday(Saturday) instead of today as decision day. They then could have had Tuesday/Thursday matches. Give the #3 seed the chance of having the most rest for next weekends game if they can win Tuesday - that at least makes being the higher seed more valuable.

The argument could be made that yesterday is college football, but today is Pro football with most cities with pro teams also having MLS teams, so splitting them (Saturday/Sunday) would have made more sense attendance-wise.
So to avoid having 2 games on Halloween, you either split decision day, which kind of kills the idea behind it, or move 11 games, and you also add a 2-day rest difference in the first week of the playoffs.
I mean it works, but it’s hardly the obvious best choice, and would cause as much grumbling as 2 games on Halloween.
I also think people overestimate the negative effect of holding playoffs on Halloween.
You know who thinks Halloween is a good day for big games? Major League Baseball scheduled World Series Game 7 for Halloween.

So to avoid having 2 games on Halloween, you either split decision day, which kind of kills the idea behind it, or move 11 games, and you also add a 2-day rest difference in the first week of the playoffs.
I mean it works, but it’s hardly the obvious best choice, and would cause as much grumbling as 2 games on Halloween.
I also think people overestimate the negative effect of holding playoffs on Halloween.
You know who thinks Halloween is a good day for big games? Major League Baseball scheduled World Series Game 7 for Halloween.
Also, the NBA doesn’t care:

Wed, Oct 31, 2018 7:30p Detroit Pistons Brooklyn Nets
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 8:00p Denver Nuggets Chicago Bulls
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 10:30p New Orleans Pelicans Golden State Warriors
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 10:30p Dallas Mavericks Los Angeles Lakers
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 8:00p Utah Jazz Minnesota Timberwolves
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 8:00p Indiana Pacers New York Knicks
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 10:30p San Antonio Spurs Phoenix Suns

I wonder when StubHub will get the date of the game right?
PtpvfDN.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Status
Not open for further replies.