Home - 11/06 Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have (some) hope that we will make it interesting. A quick goal starts that possibility. Villa, Lamps and Pirlo may still have some magic left, even playing on four combined calves. If Lurch, Brillant and Chanot play like they did last night, we have the capability to withstand their attack, especially at home. It's a monumental longshot, but interesting remains a possibility. I'm so fucking gutted, unrealistic optimism is the only cure.

Don't know the exact route, but unless you can miss Manhattan entirely, don't drive. The Marathon doesn't just screw up traffic. It halts it.

This exactly. Do not expect to take a car from Manhattan to the Bronx. Also, if you need to cross over the Marathon route (i.e. you are in Brooklyn and need to cross 4th avenue), get prepared for a long detour completely out of your way to go around it.

Either expect at LEAST 2x travel time by car or take the subway.

I have (some) hope that we will make it interesting. A quick goal starts that possibility. Villa, Lamps and Pirlo may still have some magic left, even playing on four combined calves. If Lurch, Brillant and Chanot play like they did last night, we have the capability to withstand their attack, especially at home. It's a monumental longshot, but interesting remains a possibility. I'm so fucking gutted, unrealistic optimism is the only cure.

I know. Not getting an away goal absolutely kills this team, especially one that is built on outscoring the opponent. You basically can't relax until NYCFC is winning by four goals. I am imagining that NYCFC plays a perfect game, is winning 3-0...and then Giovinco pulls something out of thin air in the 89th minute and Toronto scores to move on.

I still can't believe that PV thought a 0-0 draw was the best result. Somebody should introduce him to this guy.

giphy.gif

Higher than I would have thought. Anyone bored enough to compile we've gotten results in 2017 that would win us the game on Sunday?

2-0 over RBNY (not win, but take it to extra time)
5-1 over COL
4-1 over CHI
4-1 over CLB

so there is some hope. The realist says CHI and CLB are awful and 5-1 was a fluke throwaway against a COL team.

But who knows. Maybe Pirlo turns back the clock and connects on a free kick, Villa dominates and Frank scores a goal off his but and they blow out Toronto. This is MLS, anything is possible.

2-0 over RBNY (not win, but take it to extra time)
5-1 over COL
4-1 over CHI
4-1 over CLB

so there is some hope. The realist says CHI and CLB are awful and 5-1 was a fluke throwaway against a COL team.

But who knows. Maybe Pirlo turns back the clock and connects on a free kick, Villa dominates and Frank scores a goal off his but and they blow out Toronto. This is MLS, anything is possible.
All home games, advancing to the next round CONFIRMED.

I seriously hope the City of New York, all of its agencies, and the MTA, has its shit together on November 6th...

- New York City Marathon
- Utah Jazz @ New York Knicks (12 PM)
- Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (1 PM)
- Montreal Impact @ Red Bulls (4 PM)
- Toronto FC @ New York City FC (6:30 PM)
- Winnipeg Jets @ New York Rangers (7 PM)
All those agenices have their act together, hahahahaha

Somebody should just sit Mata down and remind him in Spanish, English, and French: don't fck around with the ball in our 3rd of the field and for fcks sake always track your fcking man.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
We should keep the doom and gloom to the postmatch thread.
I for one and pumped for this game. Toronto has motivation to play offense since their first goal is worth 2 goals for them. We NEED to score first and early to make it a game. If to can beat us 2-0 there is no reason we can't do the same.
I trust in Villa just get him the ball this time.

We are 100000000x better when we arent worrying about defense anyway.

We should keep the doom and gloom to the postmatch thread.
I for one and pumped for this game. Toronto has motivation to play offense since their first goal is worth 2 goals for them. We NEED to score first and early to make it a game. If to can beat us 2-0 there is no reason we can't do the same.
I trust in Villa just get him the ball this time.

We are 100000000x better when we arent worrying about defense anyway.
T Tom in Fairfield CT I Hope the Curse will be gone !

Reactions: Kjbert
I have very little faith we pull this off. This game and even the last game of the season (sorry but we lucked out) only further proved that we are a mediocre team with no depth and very poor roster construction.
Beginning of the season we played excellent possession football, threw it all away to play God knows what and here we are today with a team that can't pass, can't possess, can't defend, can't create chances regularly and can't capitalize.

Higher than I would have thought. Anyone bored enough to compile we've gotten results in 2017 that would win us the game on Sunday?

10/23 - 4-1 W vs CLB
9/30 - 2-0 W at HOU (would force extra time)
9/23 - 4-1 W vs CHI
7/30 - 5-1 W vs COL
7/3 - 2-0 W vs NYRB (would force extra time)
6/25 - 2-0 W at SEA (would force extra time)
5/8 - 2-0 W at DC (would force extra time)

10/23 - 4-1 W vs CLB
9/30 - 2-0 W at HOU (would force extra time)
9/23 - 4-1 W vs CHI
7/30 - 5-1 W vs COL
7/3 - 2-0 W vs NYRB (would force extra time)
6/25 - 2-0 W at SEA (would force extra time)
5/8 - 2-0 W at DC (would force extra time)

Columbus, Houston, and Chicago didn't make the playoffs.

Seattle didn't have Lodiero.

Colorado got a red card very early on.

It's going to take a Yankee Stadium miracle...

Don't know the exact route, but unless you can miss Manhattan entirely, don't drive. The Marathon doesn't just screw up traffic. It halts it.

I'd be grabbing my buddy in West Milford and then taking the GWB so Manhattan-free. We'll probably just grab the bus/train instead though, not risk it. I can push marathon tourists out of my way on the subway.

From MLSsoccer.com...

In 14 attempts, only two teams have come from two-plus goals down after the first leg to win the series. Those two were a couple of the most dramatic games in MLS history.

The first one came back in 2003, when the San Jose Earthquakes lost 2-0 at the LA Galaxy. They returned home and promptly gave up two goals in the first 13 minutes, before mounting the greatest comeback in MLS history. They scored four goals to take it to extratime before winning it in the 96th minute through Rodrigo Faria. (Away goals didn't exist back then. It was 2-0 LA then 4-2 SJ, which would make it 4-4 with LA advancing on away goals).

The other team to come back from two goals down was the 2004 Kansas City Wizards who beat the Quakes 3-0 after losing 2-0 in San Jose.

We have to have our most perfect match in our history, pouring everything into the attack (which SHOULD have been the away-leg strategy and I still can't understand why it wasn't) while also keeping a clean sheet. That is a huge ask for this team, and PV has a lot of drilling and strategic work ahead this week.

I think we have to go three at the back for sure. Probably a 3-5-2... no hanging Villa out to dry as a lone striker. Put Harrison up there with him. Mata on one wing and Khiry on the other. Pirlo, Lamps and Iraola controlling the center, with Lamps naturally making his late runs into the box OR almost acting as a false-9 target forward to receive long balls to play off to what should be a front four by the time we're at TOR's box.

We have to play the game of our lives. It's doable.

If we win this... What a story.

We could have come out yesterday guns blazing (unexpected) and caught them by surprise. Put pressure on Bradley, forced him to chase and give up a second yellow. But we decided to be predictable.
Now again on Sunday we have no choice put to come out guns blazing. Which is again, predictable. We are playing into their strategy which will make it that much harder.

This roster is a win now roster. Win this year roster. With the age of the core of the success of the team, I don't think we'll be as close to MLS Cup as we are now with this group in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.