Jack Harrison to Manchester City - Official

The GAM from this transfer is only good for this year right? So the team would need to make a signing this window or the summer window to use the GAM right?

I wonder if the FO has been shopping for players knowing that would have extra GAM to play with, or if they plan to wait and use it for a need in the summer window

Reactions: Kjbert
The GAM from this transfer is only good for this year right? So the team would need to make a signing this window or the summer window to use the GAM right?

I wonder if the FO has been shopping for players knowing that would have extra GAM to play with, or if they plan to wait and use it for a need in the summer window
I'm not sure that applies to GAM received from transfers out. I know each team receives an annual allotment of GAM and that is probably only good for the year, but I'd like to think that doesn't apply for transfer fees. I tried looking it up on the MLS Roster Rules website, but it wasn't specific.

That site will need an update fairly soon. Not only to account for new 2018 cap numbers and relative thresholds, but they also list GAM received for qualifying for CCL and then additional GAM for reaching the CCL knockout stage. But after the CCL reorganization, MLS teams already start at the knockout stage.

Will be interesting to see what some of those changes are from last year. Especially as the league has encountered various scenarios it either didn't foresee encountering or just poorly planned for (i.e., Jack being drafted in Superdraft, traded to NYCFC and sold after 2 years - is it 1/2 or 2/3 of the fee?)

For this purpose, I went ahead and copied the MLS Roster Rules from the site into a word document. Once the 2018 Roster Rules are released, I plan on doing a comparison between the two to see what updates have been made.

Not really. 2/3 (or could only be 1/2) of the rest of the money goes into CFG's pockets. The rest goes to MLS.

correct, i was strictly speaking about the additional money the owners would receive if jack would have us left for more (rumored) money. At the end of the day CFG must have decided it was more beneficial to keep him in their system, and take less money now for possible higher reward later. NYCFC could not have benefited any more than they already did from this deal and is recieving the maximum possible GAM

EDIT: Effectively, if my understanding is correct, the only one getting screwed by accepting less money is MLS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that applies to GAM received from transfers out. I know each team receives an annual allotment of GAM and that is probably only good for the year, but I'd like to think that doesn't apply for transfer fees. I tried looking it up on the MLS Roster Rules website, but it wasn't specific.

That site will need an update fairly soon. Not only to account for new 2018 cap numbers and relative thresholds, but they also list GAM received for qualifying for CCL and then additional GAM for reaching the CCL knockout stage. But after the CCL reorganization, MLS teams already start at the knockout stage.

Will be interesting to see what some of those changes are from last year. Especially as the league has encountered various scenarios it either didn't foresee encountering or just poorly planned for (i.e., Jack being drafted in Superdraft, traded to NYCFC and sold after 2 years - is it 1/2 or 2/3 of the fee?)

For this purpose, I went ahead and copied the MLS Roster Rules from the site into a word document. Once the 2018 Roster Rules are released, I plan on doing a comparison between the two to see what updates have been made.
Redlines are almost as exciting as spreadsheets.
giphy.gif

correct, i was strictly speaking about the additional money the owners would receive if jack would have us left for more (rumored) money. At the end of the day CFG must have decided it was more beneficial to keep him in their system, and take less money now for possible higher reward later. NYCFC could not have benefited any more than they already did from this deal and is recieving the maximum possible GAM
Well, kinda. (and I say this while realizing you may already be saying what I'm saying and I'm just misinterpreting it):

I'm not certain we are all certain on the GAM received (650k vs 750k rumored) or the % of fee (1/2 vs 2/3) that NYCFC will get, so lets just assume 750k GAM and 2/3 of fee for this. Also assuming ownership of 80/20 CFG/Yankees:

Scenario A: Middlesborough buys Jack for $8m:
  • NYCFC receives $750k GAM
  • NYCFC receives $4,583,333 of other dollars ($3,666,667 to CFG and $916,667 to Yankees)
  • MLS receives $2,666,667
  • CFG net dollars of $3,666,667
Scenario B: MCFC buys Jack for $6m (assuming reported fee is true, this is what happened):
  • NYCFC receives $4,000,000 of other dollars ($3,200,000 to CFG and $800,000 to Yankees)
  • MLS receives $2,000,000
  • CFG net dollars of -$2,800,000
Scenario C: MCFC buys Jack for $8m:
  • NYCFC receives $4,583,333 of other dollars ($3,666,667 to CFG and $916,667 to Yankees)
  • CFG net dollars of -$4,333,333
I know that MCFC will be loaning Jack out and probably plan to eventually sell him on for more dollars, so I'm not attempting to compare against directly selling him to Middlesborough, just wanted that for additional context.

I mainly wanted to point out that CFG definitely has an interest in keeping the fee lower if it can. MLS and the Yankees have an interest in it being higher.

Well, kinda. (and I say this while realizing you may already be saying what I'm saying and I'm just misinterpreting it):

I'm not certain we are all certain on the GAM received (650k vs 750k rumored) or the % of fee (1/2 vs 2/3) that NYCFC will get, so lets just assume 750k GAM and 2/3 of fee for this. Also assuming ownership of 80/20 CFG/Yankees:

Scenario A: Middlesborough buys Jack for $8m:
  • CFG net dollars of $3,666,667
Scenario B: MCFC buys Jack for $6m (assuming reported fee is true, this is what happened):
  • NYCFC receives $4,000,000 of other dollars ($3,200,000 to CFG and $800,000 to Yankees)
  • MLS receives $2,000,000
  • CFG net dollars of -$2,800,000
Scenario C: MCFC buys Jack for $8m:
  • CFG net dollars of -$4,333,333
I know that MCFC will be loaning Jack out and probably plan to eventually sell him on for more dollars, so I'm not attempting to compare against directly selling him to Middlesborough, just wanted that for additional context.

I mainly wanted to point out that CFG definitely has an interest in keeping the fee lower if it can. MLS and the Yankees have an interest in it being higher.

i think were on the same page. pretty cool to see it written out like that though!

Jack s gone all the best to him we await his return some day in the future.....

Bruno EL TUNA Fornaroli Uruguayan Playing in Melbourne City would be a good replacement has played well ever where he has been at..... he can play as a striker a good partner for villa and he can also play the wings.....

Because Man City is buying him, I would hope they aren't crippling their sister club just so they can make a profit off him later. It seems like if that was the case, why not wait until the summer or next year? So they probably planned to sell him this window.

Or after the Stoke interest, Jack really started pushing for a move.

Just makes me nervous that we are dealing with unknowns, other then Lewis. No idea how the new signings are actually going to do. We struggled with secondary scoring last year, and we are about to lose are 2nd best scorer
THANK YOU 7 not to mention our Batman has lost its Robbin.

Getting a little teary at the thought of never seeing Jack dribble into a blind alley or slipping on the infield at YS ever again.

Just kidding.

Looking forward to seeing him in the Championship, although not particularly in a personal lose-lose scenario against my team, Leeds ;) He's a solid, bashful and hard working pro. This one tugs the heart strings a little because we saw him grow a lot as a person and a player. Hope he kicks on and does us proud.

Getting a little teary at the thought of never seeing Jack dribble into a blind alley or slipping on the infield at YS ever again.

Just kidding.

Looking forward to seeing him in the Championship, although not particularly in a personal lose-lose scenario against my team, Leeds ;) He's a solid, bashful and hard working pro. This one tugs the heart strings a little because we saw him grow a lot as a person and a player. Hope he kicks on and does us proud.
I'm also keen to have another data point with which to compare MLS and the Championship .