Jack Harrison to Manchester City - Official

Yeah, didn’t Boro say they’d be willing to consider $8-10 million? The only way this makes sense is that CFG (as opposed to NYCFC) sees more profit this way. I’m assuming we get the same cut either way, right?

Oh boy, if there are public offers for 8.5M and Man City buys him for 5.7M, that is NOT good optics...there’s got to be some explaining as why City buys from an affiliate club for significantly less than market value.

Cue the “farm team” bull.

Weren't those higher offers reported by those navix news Twitter?
Initial reports were $3m to 4.5 with incentives up to 6. That sounds like the most reasonable ballpark.

Does Jack have to approve the transfer? I'm assuming at the very least he would need to sign a new contract, so he could scuttle any transfer to a club he was not interested in. Man City can offer him much more than Stoke from a professional perspective, even if he never plays for them.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Who knows what the real offers were? I could totally see the league getting involved to create a firm price in the market and then going to CFG and telling them the market is X

Or maybe they thought the offers would be much higher - $10 million or more - and when they weren't, CFG said F This. This is a bargain.

The way I see it, we get 750k of GAM to play with and now we can put Medina on the left allowing him to cut in with his left foot. It's a win-win, couldn't care less if they call us a farm club.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but considering MCFC is the buyer, does it matter if the transfer fee is higher than $5.7m?

We are already going to get the max GAM, so we are good on that front. Next is the additional cash that the team can use whichever way it pleases. Which, CFG could just transfer over to NYCFC anyways.

Or am I missing something?

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe I'm wrong here, but considering MCFC is the buyer, does it matter if the transfer fee is higher than $5.7m?

We are already going to get the max GAM, so we are good on that front. Next is the additional cash that the team can use whichever way it pleases. Which, CFG could just transfer over to NYCFC anyways.

Also, assuming what I have laid out above is correct, that's not going to stop other MLS'ers for taking jabs at us for this even though there would be no impact.

I have a feeling someone in the CFG office made the same exact speech just the other day.

I have a feeling someone in the CFG office made the same exact speech just the other day.
Thinking about it more, all it would result in is less money for CFG and more money for MLS as they take their cut.

I'm sure MLS wouldn't be very happy about it and as others have mentioned above, may demand a higher fee.

Weren't those higher offers reported by those navix news Twitter?
The 8.5M offer from Borough was from the Daily Star. Not 100% reliable but better than Navix. Also, they were the first to say he was going to Borough and it appears they got that part right at least.

My working theory is that when Borough and MLS/NYCFC couldn’t agree on a number Borough asked about a loan. At that point CFG stepped in to facilitate and take its cut. I bet there will be a loan with option to buy deal and MLS/NYCFC get a piece.

The 8.5M offer from Borough was from the Daily Star. Not 100% reliable but better than Navix. Also, they were the first to say he was going to Borough and it appears they got that part right at least.

My working theory is that when Borough and MLS/NYCFC couldn’t agree on a number Borough asked about a loan. At that point CFG stepped in to facilitate and take its cut. I bet there will be a loan with option to buy deal and MLS/NYCFC get a piece.

It could also be Harrison agreeing to go to Borough, but only on-loan in case they don't get promoted. It would then give him the out to go somewhere else in the summer if the situation isn't good for him.

I think the key thing to remember is that MLS has to agree to the deal. Plus, the league owns the player's contract and will get 50% of the fee, so it isn't going to agree to anything that fails to provide the best possible return. If CFG buys Harrison it will be because MLS thought the deal, on the whole, was appropriate.

It could also be Harrison agreeing to go to Borough, but only on-loan in case they don't get promoted. It would then give him the out to go somewhere else in the summer if the situation isn't good for him.
Good point. The benefit of the deal I outlined is that it protects everyone's interests against the uncertainty of Borough's status next year.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

That depends on if you’re Soup or the IRS.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I can't imagine MLS would be okay with CFG getting the transfer at a lower amount, so maybe reports were off, or those numbers were with incentives?

See I've been kicking around a theory on this one. Is it possible that soccer transfer rumors—bear with me here—could be hastily reported based on conversations with highly interested anonymous parties who know they won't be held accountable for misinformation, and thus bear a tenuous relationship with the truth?